[comp.protocols.ibm] IBM Architectures

davidf@sgi.UUCP (David Fenstemaker) (07/29/88)

Dear Mr. John Pershing, IBM Research, Yorktown,

Obviously, you are a pretty knowledgable guy. Especially bright was
the way you posted the LU6.2 information without giving away your mail
location on the net.

Anyway, listen to my plea if you have a minute.

I'm the manager of a group of engineers at Silicon Graphics,
(we make unix based graphics workstation that are considered
about the state of the art for such things), who specifically
create IBM connect products, (both the hardware and software).

So far we have built a 3270 coax emulator, a 5080 emulator,
and are working on a SNA server product.

We would like to always engineer our workstation connectivity
products in a way that would always fit the IBM architecture,
meaning for instance, our SNA server would be a PU2.1 node,
pass alerts to NETVIEW, to be managed by IBM's network
management software, and in general have our products "fit"
where they are supposed to.

Other vendors do things like PU5, offer competing network
management software, and in general kind of screw up the
architecture of the network in general.

It seems like it would be in IBM's best interest to assist
vendors who would like to "fit" rather than  "botch up"
IBM customer networks, leaving the control of the net to
the IBM hosts, and just playing in their nitch.

IBM branch people are not quite what they used to be technically,
so, mostly we spend alot of time reverse engineering and trying
to get it right.

Does IBM have some way of assisting vendors who want to be
true Blue? What I'm looking for are documents to help us
design our product the right way.

We don't compete with you guys...somebody who just wants
to run CATIA isn't going to buy a $50K 10 MIP workstation
with a 5080 emulator. He might want to download an IGES
file created on CATIA and render the image or something,
so he needs to display the image first, to make sure it is
what we wants.

You guys don't make a workstation product for the engineering
marketplace. (You got to admit the RT ain't there yet).

I have been on both sides of the fence, and if the customer
is happy both IBM and the vendor look good. If IBM gives the
vendor trouble, the customer just feels betrayed by IBM,
and learning that fact would help boost IBM sales in the
long run, and prevents the vendor from trying to get the
customer to get rid of all the Blue gear so he can survive.

Well, let me know if us little guys have friends some where...

David Fenstemaker  davidf@sgi.com

LDW@USCMVSA.BITNET (Leonard D Woren) (07/29/88)

> Obviously, you are a pretty knowledgable guy. Especially bright was
> the way you posted the LU6.2 information without giving away your mail
> location on the net.

Wrong.  Look carefully at ALL the header lines from the original
posting.  It does give his network address.  It's just that he
probably used the IBM CMS NOTE command, which hasn't heard of RFC822,
and LISTSERV doesn't deal with the "userid AT node" format in the
From: generated by NOTE.

When, oh when, are people posting to the network going to use decent
software to do it???