[comp.protocols.ibm] DisplayWriter disk conversion

TMAYSON@PENNDRLS.BITNET (08/06/88)

It is possible to convert DisplayWriter text to PC-ascii type text
files.  Unfortunately, since the DW is no longer an available product
from IBM, the communications devices probably aren't available either.
You can connect a DW, however, to a 5520 text processing system, load
the text onto that, and copy it back down to a PC.  You can also attach
it to a s/370 via a bisynchronous connection (you'll need hardware for
that also).  Your IBM branch office might have some of this stuff lying
around, or they might even convert them "for you" ( I used to do this a
lot for my customers).

As a last resort, since DW equipment is hard to find, you might try one
of the many conversion services.  There used to be a very good one in
Bala Cynwyd, PA (sorry, no name).

Hope this helps.

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (08/08/88)

In article <8808051757.AA06551@jade.berkeley.edu>, TMAYSON@PENNDRLS.BITNET writes:
> It is possible to convert DisplayWriter text to PC-ascii type text
> files.  Unfortunately, since the DW is no longer an available product
> from IBM, the communications devices probably aren't available either.

So the people here found out. If you own a DisplayWriter with a BSC
interface card in it and it breaks IBM will replace it from parts
stock but they will not sell you one.

If you already have the comms card there are several routes.
DisplayWriter comms is just 3780 so you can use any of the myriad 3780
products that are out there for the PC. Or if you have to buy look for
a piece of software called DisplayComm, it's just a 3780 package
optimized to work in the DW environment.

> As a last resort, since DW equipment is hard to find, you might try one
> of the many conversion services.  There used to be a very good one in
> Bala Cynwyd, PA (sorry, no name).

There are several of these, probably the best is Keyword Office
Technologies in Calgary Alberta, heck if you've got an extra 10 grand
kicking around they'll even sell you a box to do it yourself.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623