[comp.protocols.ibm] Netware

HANK@TAUNIVM.BITNET (Hank Nussbacher) (08/29/88)

The Novell Netware TCP option allows TCP/IP interconnection via a
Micom Interlan NP 600 card.  But buried in the documentation is the
following statement:

"As mentioned earlier, the FTP services for suers on the TCP network
are singlethreaded, meaning only one TCP user can be handled at a time.
Users attempting to access the server while another user is logged in
will receive standard TCP messages like Connection Unavailable."

Does this mean that this expensive software/hardware is only going to
work for one user at a time?  Are they referring to Telnet and FTP
together or seperately?  Am I reading old documentation - which is no
longer valid?

Thanks, Hank

backman@interlan.UUCP (Larry Backman) (09/03/88)

In article <8808291219.AA06264@jade.berkeley.edu> Hank Nussbacher <HANK%TAUNIVM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>The Novell Netware TCP option allows TCP/IP interconnection via a
>Micom Interlan NP 600 card.  But buried in the documentation is the
>following statement:
>
>"As mentioned earlier, the FTP services for suers on the TCP network
>are singlethreaded, meaning only one TCP user can be handled at a time.
>Users attempting to access the server while another user is logged in
>will receive standard TCP messages like Connection Unavailable."
>
>Does this mean that this expensive software/hardware is only going to
>work for one user at a time?  Are they referring to Telnet and FTP
>together or seperately?  Am I reading old documentation - which is no
>longer valid?

	[]

	I guess I should have read the manual draft's better! The
	manual is wrong; the gateway supports 32 sockets; the
	FTP server supports 4 concurrent incoming FTP data sockets.

	You can have any combination of Telnet's FTP's SMTP's, RSHELL's,
	etc within the following rules:

		There are only 32 total sockets on the board.
		FTP SERVER SMTP SERVER, RWHOD SERRVER take one each.

		Telnet's take a single socket.
		Both FTP clients and FTP server sessions take a
		single control socket plus a second temporary data
		socket while the file is being transferred.

	What does it really mean?  Roughly 20 concurrent user's, possibly
	a few more, depending on what they are doing.

	Please refer me to the appropriate page in the doc. so I can
	fix it.

					Larry Backman
					Micom - Interlan

backman@interlan.UUCP (Larry Backman) (09/03/88)

In article <8808291219.AA06264@jade.berkeley.edu> Hank Nussbacher
        <HANK%TAUNIVM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>The Novell Netware TCP option allows TCP/IP interconnection via a
>Micom Interlan NP 600 card.  But buried in the documentation is the
>following statement:
>
>"As mentioned earlier, the FTP services for suers on the TCP network
>are singlethreaded, meaning only one TCP user can be handled at a time.
>Users attempting to access the server while another user is logged in
>will receive standard TCP messages like Connection Unavailable."
>
>Does this mean that this expensive software/hardware is only going to
>work for one user at a time?  Are they referring to Telnet and FTP
>together or seperately?  Am I reading old documentation - which is no
>longer valid?

        []

        I guess I should have read the manual draft's better! The
        manual is wrong; the gateway supports 32 sockets; the
        FTP server supports 4 concurrent incoming FTP data sockets.

        You can have any combination of Telnet's FTP's SMTP's, RSHELL's,
        etc within the following rules:

                There are only 32 total sockets on the board.
                FTP SERVER SMTP SERVER, RWHOD SERRVER take one each.

                Telnet's take a single socket.
                Both FTP clients and FTP server sessions take a
                single control socket plus a second temporary data
                socket while the file is being transferred.

        What does it really mean?  Roughly 20 concurrent user's, possibly
        a few more, depending on what they are doing.

        Please refer me to the appropriate page in the doc. so I can
        fix it.

                                        Larry Backman
                                        Micom - Interlan

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (09/08/88)

Be aware also of the fact that the Micom-Interlan board will run
only with Netware 2.1 and not a later version like 2.11 or 2.12.

I have the latest version, came out about 3-4 months ago, when I
called Micom I was told by Tech. Support that they have no plans
to support 2.11 in the near future.

Tim.
--
Timothy Lange / Purdue University Computing Center / Mathematical Sciences Bldg
West Lafayette, IN  47907 / 317-494-1787 / tim@j.cc.purdue.edu / CIS 75410,525

backman@interlan.UUCP (Larry Backman) (09/16/88)

In article <7727@j.cc.purdue.edu> tim@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Timothy Lange) writes:
>Be aware also of the fact that the Micom-Interlan board will run
>only with Netware 2.1 and not a later version like 2.11 or 2.12.
>
>I have the latest version, came out about 3-4 months ago, when I
>called Micom I was told by Tech. Support that they have no plans
>to support 2.11 in the near future.
>
>Tim.

	[]

	The statement is incorrect.  I found a Netware Cold Boot Loader
	bug in 2.1c & above that was preventing the gateway from running
	with those versions of Netware.  The bug has been fixed, we will
	ship you a Netware patch program, and the gateway runs with all
	released versions of Netware.  By the way, what was the name of
	the person in Tech. Support?

				Larry Backman
				Interlan, Inc

        writes:
>Be aware also of the fact that the Micom-Interlan board will run
>only with Netware 2.1 and not a later version like 2.11 or 2.12.
>
>I have the latest version, came out about 3-4 months ago, when I
>called Micom I was told by Tech. Support that they have no plans
>to support 2.11 in the near future.
>
>Tim.

        []