[comp.protocols.ibm] New book about NetBIOS

TRADER@cup.portal.com (09/25/88)

A new book for LAN programmers will be available shortly. It is:

"C Programmer's Guide to NETBIOS"
David W. Schwaderer
Howard W. Sams, Inc.
400 pages, paperbound
ISBN: 0-672-22638-3
U.S. $24.95

I've already reserved a copy from my technical book dealer. I've been told
that it should be available about the middle of October.

                              Paul McGinnis - AST Research, Inc.
							  Internet: TRADER@cup.portal.com
							  CompuServe: 76056,201

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (09/29/88)

In article <8809281355.AA01943@jade.berkeley.edu>, TRADER@cup.portal.COM writes:
> A new book for LAN programmers will be available shortly. It is:
>
> "C Programmer's Guide to NETBIOS"
> David W. Schwaderer
> Howard W. Sams, Inc.
> 400 pages, paperbound  <----- wrong, its 299 pages (excl. index & biblio.)
> ISBN: 0-672-22638-3
> U.S. $24.95

I just got my copy 2 days ago and have only given it a cursory look-over,
but I'm not impressed with it.  My main complaint is that every example
program is 100% DOS-specific, complete with DOS registers, long and
far pointers, etc.  I was hoping that the author might try to hide some
of these machine specific features, especially considering his statements
that NetBIOS is being used on lots of other operating systems other
than DOS.

	"There is a common misconception that NetBIOS requires some
	version of PC-DOS.  Since NetBIOS operates on UNIX-based
	operating systems, this is clearly false."  (p. 57)

Boy, you could have fooled me just looking at all the programs in the
book !!  There is a 4-chapter "treatise" on CRC calculations, if you're
interested in that.  The author is with IBM San Jose, so I'd guess most
of the technical stuff relating to NetBIOS is accurate.  (The quote on
the back of the book telling you what a good book it is from someone
else at IBM - kind of tacky.)  40 pages of the book are excerpted from
IBM's "Technical Reference, PC Network Manual".  The cover art on the
book is very nicely done.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.uu.net
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

TRADER@cup.portal.com (10/03/88)

I just got my copy yesterday, and I agree - "C Programmer's Guide to
NetBIOS" is very DOS-oriented. But then again, in the overwhelming
majority of cases, it will be used in a DOS environment.

The book "Inside NetBIOS - 2nd edition" by J. Scott Haugdahl goes more
into the details about the protocol, but "C Programmer's Guide to
NetBIOS" has very good coverage about writing PC applications.

                                     Paul McGinnis - AST Research, Inc.
                                     714-863-9991