[net.micro] Reader Poll

hardy@sdcsvax.UUCP (Jeff Hardy) (01/05/86)

I'm interested in getting response from the readers of this newsgroup
regarding a hypothetical machine.

How many people reading this newsgroup would be interested in a computer
that had as its base processor a 16MHZ 68020 running with 4MB of no
wait state memory, an optional 68881FPU, an MMU, either UNIX, or a
UNIX look-alike, a keyboard interface, a SCSI channel, and an N slot
IBM PC expansion bus that could take any card that an IBM PC could? The
video monitor would be a plug in board as in the PC. The price would be
competitive with the PC-AT.

Please do not reply to the net, mail directly to me.

				Thanks for your responses,
				Jeff Hardy

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (01/06/86)

In article <1276@sdcsvax.UUCP> hardy@sdcsvax.UUCP (Jeff Hardy) writes:
>I'm interested in getting response from the readers of this newsgroup
>regarding a hypothetical machine.
>
>How many people reading this newsgroup would be interested in a computer
>that had as its base processor a 16MHZ 68020 running with 4MB of no
>wait state memory, an optional 68881FPU, an MMU, either UNIX, or a
>UNIX look-alike, a keyboard interface, a SCSI channel, and an N slot
>IBM PC expansion bus that could take any card that an IBM PC could? The
>video monitor would be a plug in board as in the PC. The price would be
>competitive with the PC-AT.

   Wouldn't it be easier to ask how many would not be interested?  :-)

   -- David desJardins

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (01/08/86)

> I'm interested in getting response from the readers of this newsgroup
> regarding a hypothetical machine.
>
> How many people reading this newsgroup would be interested in a computer
> that had as its base processor a 16MHZ 68020 running with 4MB of no
> wait state memory, an optional 68881FPU, an MMU, either UNIX, or a
> UNIX look-alike, a keyboard interface, a SCSI channel, and an N slot
> IBM PC expansion bus that could take any card that an IBM PC could? The
> video monitor would be a plug in board as in the PC. The price would be
> competitive with the PC-AT.
>
> Please do not reply to the net, mail directly to me.
>

> 				Thanks for your responses,
> 				Jeff Hardy

you didn't mention the disk that would be used, and if that would be included
in the cost...
--
remember, if you do it yourself, sooner or later you'll need a bigger hammer

Ken Shoemaker, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (01/08/86)

> I'm interested in getting response from the readers of this newsgroup
> regarding a hypothetical machine.
>
> How many people reading this newsgroup would be interested in a computer
> that had as its base processor a 16MHZ 68020 running with 4MB of no
> wait state memory, an optional 68881FPU, an MMU, either UNIX, or a
> UNIX look-alike, a keyboard interface, a SCSI channel, and an N slot
> IBM PC expansion bus that could take any card that an IBM PC could? The
> video monitor would be a plug in board as in the PC. The price would be
> competitive with the PC-AT.

Don't forget, just because the plug-in cards are hardware compatible, they
probably wouldn't be software compatible.  A lot of cards come with bundled
software (memory cards have RAMdisk, mice have paint programs, video cards,
disk controllers, LAN controllers, etc. often have drivers).  In addition
many have an on-board BIOS ROM.

That means to make these cards useful in such a system requires special
software.  For that matter, the entire system requires application software
from somewhere.
--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow