[comp.protocols.ibm] Telix/Boyan, more help please on cable connections?

obb130t@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (03/15/89)

In article <5838@wolfen.cc.uow.oz>, git@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Git Proctor) writes:
>        Re: Telix/Boyan jump to DOS shell. Thankyou for the suggestions.
> The problem seems to be in my modem cable, it has not been set up to
> do the handshaking correctly. As I am a programmer, it would probably
 [lots and lots of stuff deleted]

Did I suggest earlier that there was not enough information provided???
Speaking as one programmer to another, you've got 2 choices:
1. Ribbon. Everything to everything works just fine.  Believe it or not, that's
   the way this stuff was designed!
2. Ribbon with some of the wires left out.  Connect SG,RXD,TXD,DSR,DTR,RTS,CTS,
   CD using the same pin numbers at each end and most everything works.
   Add RI if you can use it.  Any guesses why an AT has 9 pins?
Yes I know you can do all sorts of neat stuff with jumpers and the like, but
for me the cable should be transparent and the configuration done using software
and the occasional DIP switch.
--
David M. Bennett.
c/o Victorian Red Cross Blood Bank, Balston St, South Melbourne

obb130t@vaxc.UUCP (03/15/89)

avenger@runx.ips.oz (Troy Rollo ) (03/20/89)

> In article <5838@wolfen.cc.uow.oz>, git@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Git Proctor) writes:
>>        Re: Telix/Boyan jump to DOS shell. Thankyou for the suggestions.
>> The problem seems to be in my modem cable, it has not been set up to
>> do the handshaking correctly. As I am a programmer, it would probably
>  [lots and lots of stuff deleted]
>
> Did I suggest earlier that there was not enough information provided???
> Speaking as one programmer to another, you've got 2 choices:
> 1. Ribbon. Everything to everything works just fine.  Believe it or not, that's
>    the way this stuff was designed!
> 2. Ribbon with some of the wires left out.  Connect SG,RXD,TXD,DSR,DTR,RTS,CTS,
>    CD using the same pin numbers at each end and most everything works.
>    Add RI if you can use it.  Any guesses why an AT has 9 pins?
> Yes I know you can do all sorts of neat stuff with jumpers and the like, but
> for me the cable should be transparent and the configuration done using software
> and the occasional DIP switch.

	Not really..... Maestro modems and many other pieces of hardware like
to be difficult..... here is the fix:

	On the AT end of the cable, connect pin 6 to pin 20 and pin 4 to pin 5.

	Everybody should know about RS232 connectors... watch for The Data Bus
at the end of this month which will give a good explaination of RS232 - it
even has one or two things in the article which I didn't know..... I will
probably be posting the Data Bus on the 25th, so it should make it's round
trip by the 3rd of April.

Internet: avenger@runx.ips.oz.au              ________________________
UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!avenger           /\                       \
Watch out for gobbledocks -		       |   Core Publications   |
They'll steal all your silicon Chippies	       | Electronic Publishing |

avenger@runx.UUCP (Troy Rollo) (03/20/89)