[comp.protocols.ibm] TCP/IP and friends on IBM

haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (04/22/89)

We need to support TCP/IP on a 3090 running VM.  The two possibilities
we're looking at hard are:

1) an Ethernet interface, probably BusTech, and the FAL software.

2) a protocol converter, probably Mitek.

I've heard nothing but good about the BusTech unit, but would be interested
to hear from Mitek users.  Most particularly, Mitek claims that it is more
efficient to do a protocol conversion outside the mainframe and then have
their unit speak SNA to the mainframe.  This doesn't make any sense to me
because I would think that the mainframe would still have to implement SNA
to carry the traffic, and isn't that just as many cycles as implementing
TCP/IP?

Thanks in advance for any info.

-- Walt Haas       haas@cs.utah.edu     utah-cs!haas

latzko@pilot.njin.net (Alex ) (04/22/89)

In article <1634@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:

> We need to support TCP/IP on a 3090 running VM.  The two possibilities
> we're looking at hard are:
> 1) an Ethernet interface, probably BusTech, and the FAL software.
> 2) a protocol converter, probably Mitek.
> -- Walt Haas       haas@cs.utah.edu     utah-cs!haas

Hi,

We have a similar situation here.  We support TCP/IP on our IBM box
and it works as expected.  Emulation using FTP's TN3270 is amazing
( I rarely use berkeley tn3270 ).  We use the IBM 8232 interface with
an ethernet baseband interface ( I refuse to mention the manufaturer
by  name unless its in a bad light ) and it works as expected.

I tried out the Mitek Box ( forget the exact model ) using a SNA
connection.  Amazingly it works very well,  three of its neatest
features over any of the other ethernet-3270 boxes are:

	an on screen  help display
	it uses an extension of termcap so you can put in your own
		tty types
	it was capable of being channel attached.

Mitek also has lots of neato software which I didn't try.

cheers
/S*

latzko@rutgers.edu
{backbone}!rutgers!latzko