[comp.protocols.ibm] 3270 File Transfer Protocol Query

tmcclory@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Thomas.J.Tom.McClory) (06/05/89)

In article <8905122322.AA24828>, John King references a
3270 emulation package that supports a PC file transfer.
Several questions:

  Is there a "standard" file transfer protocol for IBM 3270 emulations?

  Is this a "supported" feature of IBM's 3270 emulation packages?

  What 3270 PC emulations support this 3270 file transfer protocol?

  Can anyone provide me with detailed references that define the
  message stream for this protocol?

thanks.
--
Thomas J. McClory			phone: (513)445-6819
Engineering & Manufacturing-Dayton	email: tmcclory@emdeng.NCR.COM

tmcclory@emdeng.UUCP ("Thomas.J.Tom.McClory") (06/05/89)

whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) (06/06/89)

In article <744@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM>, tmcclory@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Thomas.J.Tom.McClory) writes:

> In article <8905122322.AA24828>, John King references a
> 3270 emulation package that supports a PC file transfer.
> Several questions:
>
>   Is there a "standard" file transfer protocol for IBM 3270 emulations?

    The "IBM 3270 PC File Transfer" protocol could be treated as an IBM
    standard to do interactive file transfer between a 3270 PC (or an
    appropriate emulation package) and a time sharing subsystem (MVS/TSO,
    CICS/VS, VM/SP CMS) on an IBM host. ECF or APPC could be an alternative
    one day?!

>   Is this a "supported" feature of IBM's 3270 emulation packages?
>   What 3270 PC emulations support this 3270 file transfer protocol?

    Several IBM and non-IBM products implement this protocol, e. g.:
    IBM Product 5665-311 MVS TSO/E Server
    IBM Product 5664-281 VM/SP CMS Server
    IBM PC 3270 Emulation Program (client function)
    Sun Microsystems SunLink SNA 3274 ibmftp (client function)
    others?

>   Can anyone provide me with detailed references that define the
>   message stream for this protocol?

    Check IBM Form SC23-0165-0; IBM3270 PC Control Program, Programming Guide;
    Appendix B: Using X'D0' Structured Fields to Transmit Data.
    It's a detailed, IBM style format and protocol specification. You should
    be familiar with the concept of partitions and structured fields.

    Disclaimer: I'm an employee of a Sun and IBM customer.

Hope this helps.

Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1032.5.58, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  UUCP:     cgch!whna
  Internet: whna%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net              Phone: (+41) 61 697 26 75
  BITNET:   whna%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet            Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88

        (Thomas.J.Tom.McClory) writes:

> In article <8905122322.AA24828>, John King references a
> 3270 emulation package that supports a PC file transfer.
> Several questions:
>
>   Is there a "standard" file transfer protocol for IBM 3270 emulations?

    The "IBM 3270 PC File Transfer" protocol could be treated as an IBM
    standard to do interactive file transfer between a 3270 PC (or an
    appropriate emulation package) and a time sharing subsystem (MVS/TSO,
    CICS/VS, VM/SP CMS) on an IBM host. ECF or APPC could be an alternative
    one day?!

>   Is this a "supported" feature of IBM's 3270 emulation packages?
>   What 3270 PC emulations support this 3270 file transfer protocol?

    Several IBM and non-IBM products implement this protocol, e. g.:
    IBM Product 5665-311 MVS TSO/E Server
    IBM Product 5664-281 VM/SP CMS Server
    IBM PC 3270 Emulation Program (client function)
    Sun Microsystems SunLink SNA 3274 ibmftp (client function)
    others?

>   Can anyone provide me with detailed references that define the
>   message stream for this protocol?

    Check IBM Form SC23-0165-0; IBM3270 PC Control Program, Programming Guide;
    Appendix B: Using X'D0' Structured Fields to Transmit Data.
    It's a detailed, IBM style format and protocol specification. You should
    be familiar with the concept of partitions and structured fields.

    Disclaimer: I'm an employee of a Sun and IBM customer.

Hope this helps.

Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1032.5.58, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  UUCP:     cgch!whna
  Internet: whna%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net              Phone: (+41) 61 697 26 75
  BITNET:   whna%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet            Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88
Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1032.5.58, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  UUCP:     cgch!whna
  Internet: whna%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net              Phone: (+41) 61 697 26 75
  BITNET:   whna%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet            Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (06/15/89)

I have not seen any 3270 PC emulators that don't support File Transfer.
They must be pretty old!

In article <8906071350.AA20140@jade.berkeley.edu>, whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) writes:
> In article <744@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM>, tmcclory@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM
>         (Thomas.J.Tom.McClory) writes:
> >
> >   Is this a "supported" feature of IBM's 3270 emulation packages?

It is often referred to as "supporting IND$FILE". So if you see that in a
vendor's advertising, (including ours) that means 3270 PC File Transfer
is supported.

> >   What 3270 PC emulations support this 3270 file transfer protocol?
> >
>     Several IBM and non-IBM products implement this protocol, e. g.:
>     IBM Product 5665-311 MVS TSO/E Server
>     IBM Product 5664-281 VM/SP CMS Server
>     IBM PC 3270 Emulation Program (client function)
>     Sun Microsystems SunLink SNA 3274 ibmftp (client function)
>     others?
      Xicom MicroNode products (MS-DOS, LAN, UNIX, QNX)
      Our licensees:
      Intel iSNA/3270 (Xenix 286, UNIX)
      National Semiconductor (MS-DOS, LAN, A/UX)
      Morningstar (UNIX Multibus)
      Orion/Apple (Mac, 3b2)
      Prime Computer Prime/SNA (EXL)

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Technologies Corp., Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (NOT alex@xicom)     Fax: (613) 728-1134