[comp.protocols.ibm] Info request for ZIP

hassler@nap1.cds.wpafb.af.mil (Barry D. Hassler) (06/30/89)

Does anyone have any information on the IBM ZIP protocol used in conjunction
with PROFS? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Barry D. Hassler				hassler@asd.wpafb.af.mil
System Software Analyst				(513) 427-6369

hassler@nap1.UUCP ("Barry D. Hassler") (06/30/89)

scotth@grebyn.com (Scott Hutchinson) (07/01/89)

In article <8906301824.AA11758@jade.berkeley.edu> "Barry D. Hassler" <nap1!hassler@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV> writes:
>Does anyone have any information on the IBM ZIP protocol used in conjunction
>with PROFS? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

	Why don't you give them a call?

		PKware (the maker's of ZIP)

		7545 N. Port Washington Rd
		Glendale, WI 53217
		(414) 352-3670 (voice)
		(414) 352-7176 (BBS)

Note:
	I don't work for them, I just like their products.

--
                                     -Scott H. Hutchinson
Standard Disclamers:  These opinions are mine, they do not reflect on my

scotth@grebyn.UUCP (Scott Hutchinson) (07/01/89)

bar@dptcdc.toronto.datapoint.com (Brian Ruptash) (07/12/89)

>In article <8906301824.AA11758@jade.berkeley.edu> "Barry D. Hassler" <nap1!hassler@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV> writes:
> Does anyone have any information on the IBM ZIP protocol used in
> conjunction with PROFS?  Any info at all would be greatly
> appreciated.

As far as I have ever been able to ascertain, the only place IBM
PROFS ZIP packet formats are defined is in SC30-3276, the DISOSS/370
Interchange Architecture Reference (in IBM's inimitable manner of
organising their documentation).

I don't believe this is a complete specification, as it only defines
ZIP5, ZIPA and ZIPE packets and their associated cards, and does
a less than adequate job of defining the parameters.  A good deal
of reverse engineering is still needed, as is the case with most
IBM emulations.

Nevertheless, ZIP5, ZIPA and ZIPE are all that are needed to exchange
documents with PROFS and acknowledge their delivery.

Perhaps the X.400 PROFS Connection technical documentation (if it
exists yet...) has more details.

--
Brian Ruptash                |  Internet: bar@datapoint.com
Principal Architect          |  UUCP:     {uunet, utzoo}!dptcdc!bar

bar@dptcdc.UUCP (Brian Ruptash) (07/12/89)