[comp.protocols.ibm] VTAM Base Implementation in VM

ERIC%ETSU@RICE.EDU (Eric Job) (07/18/89)

I have installed VTAM V3R2 in our VM/SP 5 machine.  Now I am starting
the task of defining local terminals in non-SNA controllers to VTAM.
I have a couple questions...things I'm fuzzy on that maybe you all could
clarify for me.

(1) Concerning the system connection block at the lower left of the
    screen, I was under the impression that the little block there
    (beside the square-4 and the little-A) would contain a little
    stick-figure man while in VTAM.  Even when I direct attach a
    terminal to the VTAM machine, this block remains filled in, which
    I took to mean "terminal is connected to your job" (from 3278
    Display Station Problem Determination Guide, GA27-2839-6, which
    came with the terminal).

(2) I would like to customize in my USSTAB message 10 so I can
    design a logo screen.  I thought that I was doing this right,
    but nothing ever displays.  I have this in my VTAMUSER LOADLIB,
    the LOADLIB is globalled, the USSTAB= parameter of the LOCAL
    MACRO for the terminal points to the table...but still no
    message 10.  So I might be missing something.  Any ideas?

(3) I couldn't find any documentation that told me what to expect
    while operating in VTAM mode.  I've discovered SYS REQ and
    can LOGON APPLID(VM) and LOGOFF APPLID(VM) and so forth, but
    if there's a document that explains what-does-what here, I'd
    like to see it.

Thanks for your help.  I realize these are trivial for the experienced
ones, but a little help goes a long way for me.  Have a good day.

Eric Job <ERIC@ETSU.BITNET>, (615)929-6857, BITNET TechRep
Networking/Systems Support, Office of Computer Services
Box 24,340-A, East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, TN  USA 37614-0002

" Maynard) (07/21/89)

In article <8907181349.AA21623@rice.edu> Eric Job <ERIC%ETSU@rice.edu> writes:
>(1) Concerning the system connection block at the lower left of the
>    screen, I was under the impression that the little block there
>    (beside the square-4 and the little-A) would contain a little
>    stick-figure man while in VTAM. [...]

This is only true for SNA terminals (those with a little B instead of a
little A). Non-SNA 3270s are always solid-box.

>(2) I would like to customize in my USSTAB message 10 so I can
>    design a logo screen.  I thought that I was doing this right,
>    but nothing ever displays.  I have this in my VTAMUSER LOADLIB,
>    the LOADLIB is globalled, the USSTAB= parameter of the LOCAL
>    MACRO for the terminal points to the table...but still no
>    message 10.  So I might be missing something.  Any ideas?

About all I can add is that the USSTAB is only loaded when a major node
is activated and no other active major node references the desired
table. About the only way I've found to assure that is to take the VTAM
machine down and back up.

>(3) I couldn't find any documentation that told me what to expect
>    while operating in VTAM mode.  I've discovered SYS REQ and
>    can LOGON APPLID(VM) and LOGOFF APPLID(VM) and so forth, but
>    if there's a document that explains what-does-what here, I'd
>    like to see it.

The only commands here are either those in your USSTAB or those that
USSTAB commands can be mapped to via USSCMD processing. I don't recall
that I've ever seen a concise description here either; I'd start in the
section of the VTAM docs that describes USS tables.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

PR0032%BINGVMB@RICE.EDU (Art Weisenseel) (07/22/89)

* (1) Concerning the system connection block at the lower left of the
*   screen, I was under the impression that the little block there
*   (beside the square-4 and the little-A) would contain a little
*   stick-figure man while in VTAM.

 This could be on account of your terminals being non-SNA.  The only
 time I've noticed the little guy has been on remote SNA terminals.

* (2) I would like to customize in my USSTAB message 10 so I can
*   design a logo screen.  I thought that I was doing this right,
*   but nothing ever displays...I might be missing something.  Any ideas?

 How are you doing your USSMSG10?  If you're using 3270 data stream
 commands you have to use the USSMSG macro with the BUFFER operand.
 I got the following from a friend of a friend (my edits and comments):

* Adapted for the screen from ISTINCDT ASSEMBLE.
* See VTAM Version 3 Customization (SC23-0112), pg 3-57, 'USSMSG Macro
* Instruction (for Terminal Operator Messages)'
*
MESSAGES USSMSG   MSG=1,TEXT='INVALID COMMAND SYNTAX'
          .
         USSMSG   MSG=9,TEXT='MAGNETIC CARD DATA ERROR'
         USSMSG   MSG=10,BUFFER=MSG10               *** Specify buffer
         USSMSG   MSG=11,TEXT='% SESSIONS ENDED'
          .
MSG10    DC        AL2(MSG10E-*-2)
MSG10S   EQU       *                           *** Do an Erase/Write,
         DC    X'F5C7'                             sound alarm, kbd, etc
         DC    X'1140D4',X'1DE0'               *** Set Buffer Address,
         DC    C'MY VERY OWN VTAM NETWORK'         Start Field, words
         DC    X'11C55A',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'MY VERY OWN USER MENU'
         DC    X'11C66A',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'--------------------------'
         DC    X'11C9D3',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'SYSTEM A'
         DC    X'114BF3',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'SYSTEM B'
*  END OF PANEL  -  DEFINE CURSOR POSITION
         DC    X'11D9C1',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'ENTER ONE OF THE ABOVE FOR CONNECTION'
         DC    X'115B61',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'==> '
         DC    X'115C5B',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'RUNNING '
         DC    X'115CE6',X'1DE0'
         DC    C'MYOWNVM '
         DC    X'115BE5',X'1DC013'      *** SBA, SF, and Insert Cursor
MSG10E   EQU       *
END      USSEND
         END     ,             END OF ASSEMBLY

* (3) I couldn't find any documentation that told me what to expect
*   while operating in VTAM mode.  I've discovered SYS REQ and
*   can LOGON APPLID(VM) and LOGOFF APPLID(VM) and so forth, but
*   if there's a document that explains what-does-what here, I'd
*   like to see it.

  The only place I remember seeing this stuff was in the VTAM
  Customization book (SC23-0112).  My book (3rd edition) has the
  terminal operator commands VTAM responds to on page 3-40.
  SYS REQ I think is supposed to correspond to a TEST REQ, and the
  action taken for a given terminal attachment is in a table
  in the VTAM Programming book (SC23-0115) in Chapter 11,
  'Programming Considerations for the IBM 3270'.

Along these lines, can anybody out there in TV Land offer any
suggestions on good VTAM literature?  I'm wondering if there are
any practical implementation books, either from IBM or a third party.

* I realize these are trivial for the experienced ones, but a little help
* goes a long way for me.

Same here.  I don't regard myself as an experienced VTAM know-it-all,
Assembler programmer, or systems wizard.  Just learning what little I
know of this stuff was a long slog through the books and some helpful
advice.  If I screwed up anything above, please let the list know.

Art Weisenseel
Academic Programmer/Analyst
Computer Services
State University of New York - College at Purchase
"Twenty Seconds Ahead of the Past"