[comp.protocols.ibm] IBM and Ethernet

EETPISG%CALSTATE@RICE.EDU ("Kay Schenk at Chico") (07/20/89)

Hello, ou there in IBM land.  We're just starting out with IBm equipment here
after not having any IBM on campus for about 17 years.  Please don't laugh,
I joined this group so I might learn something from the rest of you.  Anyway,
here's my question.  We'll have a 3720-1 controller, and a 3174-1L contoller,
and TCP/IP under VM/IS.  Does anybody have the answers to the following:

  - does IBM (or any one else) provide Ethernet hardware.  Our SE is checking
      and someone else thinks its an option in one of these controllers
  - does anyone know about 3270 emulation for PC equipment over Ethernet
     I'm looking here for probably a hsot and workstation product

We will be furnished with TCP/IP under VM/IS but I don't really know anything
about IBM's product.  I doubt if this will help me.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

-Kay Schenk
 CSU, Chico

drake@sd2.almaden.ibm.com (Sam Drake/99999999) (07/21/89)

I'm not an official IBM spokesman, but let's see if I can get close
to the truth.  Any mistakes are mine, not IBMs.

TCP/IP on VM doesn't support either the 3720 or the 3174 controllers.
Neither of those controllers supports Ethernet, either.

The 3174 can be used on either coax (not Ethernet coax) or Token-Ring;
on coax it supports real 3270 terminals; on Token-ring it supports
PCs emulating 3270s and it supports SNA protocols.  The 3720 supports
various communications lines, async, SDLC, etc as well as Token-Ring;
again, this box is usually used to support SNA connection of devices,
but can be used for async or bisync support without SNA.  It also
supports Token Ring, but for SNA only.

The TCP/IP for VM product can speak to several devices, but again
not either of the ones you've got.  If you've got a 9370 processor
there's an Ethernet adapter that fits into the processor itself that
TCP/IP can drive.  On other processors, there's a device called the
8232 that hooks onto a S/370 channel and also goes onto one or more
Ethernets and/or Token Rings; this device supports TCP/IP.  This is
the hardware that you'll need for TCP/IP on VM.

As far as Ethernet 3270 emulators, the VM TCP/IP product provides a
telnet server that can provide either 3270 or line-mode sessions via
TCP/IP.  There are a variety of telnet programs for many machines that
provide 3270 emulation via telnet for different client machines.

Hope that helps!

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

[...]

LVARIAN@PUCC.BITNET ("Lee C. Varian") (07/23/89)

Kay,  There are also several non-IBM Ethernet controllers which can be
used with the (excellent) IBM TCP/IP for VM software.  The cheapest
(and also, in my opinion, the best presently on the market) is the
ELC (Ethernet LAN Controller) from BTI (Bus-Tech, Inc.).

BTI offers the ELC controller to BITNET schools for $5,900, with
maintenance at $600/year.  The ELC controller can operate in one of
two modes: CETI (Continuously Executing Transfer Interface) mode or
Standard mode (compatible with the Spartacus K200/K2000 and Nixdorf
NECU controllers).  The IBM TCP/IP for VM software supports the CETI
mode.  The Standard mode (which offers higher ELC throughput) needs
an additional driver for the IBM TCP/IP for VM software.  Drivers are
available from David Lippke (LIPPKE@UTDALVM1) or Bob Knight (KNIGHT@PUCC).
  Lee Varian
  Princeton University

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (07/23/89)

EETPISG%CALSTATE@RICE.EDU ("Kay Schenk at Chico") writes:

>  - does IBM (or any one else) provide Ethernet hardware.  Our SE is checking
>      and someone else thinks its an option in one of these controllers
>  - does anyone know about 3270 emulation for PC equipment over Ethernet
>     I'm looking here for probably a hsot and workstation product
There is a company called "Mitek" which sells a box to provide an ethernet
attachment for a 370.  They have two versions:
a "cheap" one which attaches to your 3705 (or somewhere downline of it, I
can't remember), and an EXPENSIVE one which is a direct channel attach.
AT&T pointed us at Mitek.  They also have a creative capability which
interested us: they can let you use a 370's 3270-type terminal as a
VT100.

Let me know what else you find.  We were going to use them because we
wanted to take 3270's which we have all over the place, and provide a
limited UNIX access.  We have since abandoned this approach.  Now, we
are looking again, because we need FAST data transfer between UNIX
and MVS.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) (07/28/89)

In article <8907262257.AA09149@jade.berkeley.edu>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP ("Kevin P. Kleinfelter") writes:
>EETPISG%CALSTATE@RICE.EDU ("Kay Schenk at Chico") writes:
>
>>  - does IBM (or any one else) provide Ethernet hardware.  Our SE is checking
>>      and someone else thinks its an option in one of these controllers
>>  - does anyone know about 3270 emulation for PC equipment over Ethernet
>>     I'm looking here for probably a hsot and workstation product
>
> There is a company called "Mitek" which sells a box to provide an ethernet
> attachment for a 370.  They have two versions:

Sooooo, where can we reach this company?  Is there at least a city?

- randy

Usenet: randy@rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

ced@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Davidson) (07/31/89)

From article <8907281316.AA02480@jade.berkeley.edu>, by randy@rls.UUCP ("Randall L. Smith"):
> In article <8907262257.AA09149@jade.berkeley.edu>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP ("Kevin P.
>         Kleinfelter") writes:
>>EETPISG%CALSTATE@RICE.EDU ("Kay Schenk at Chico") writes:
>>
>> There is a company called "Mitek" which sells a box to provide an ethernet
>> attachment for a 370.  They have two versions:
>
> Sooooo, where can we reach this company?  Is there at least a city?
>
> - randy

Last I checked they were on Chennault Drive in Carrollton, TX.  The
phone is (214) 490-4090.

Regards,

Carl
--
  Carl Davidson            "A strange game.
  Apollo Computer Inc.      The only winning move is not to play.

ced@apollo.UUCP (Carl Davidson) (07/31/89)

From article <8907281316.AA02480@jade.berkeley.edu>, by randy@rls.UUCP
        ("Randall L. Smith"):