[net.micro] \"published\" works

lauren@rand-unix.arpa (01/01/86)

I believe that the definition of a "published" work in this context is
something that you intend to distribute without license agreements or other
similar contractual arrangements.  Non-published works are materials
that you may make available under licensing or some other contractual
basis.  Of course, both published and non-published works may be copyrighted,
and/or other protections, such as trade secrets, may also apply.

Most commercial computer software, including Unix, DBASE, etc. would
probably be defined as non-published under the above definition.

(I am not a laywer--just my lay understanding of the issue.)

--Lauren--

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (01/09/86)

In article <1154@brl-tgr.ARPA> lauren@rand-unix.arpa writes:
>I believe that the definition of a "published" work in this context is
>something that you intend to distribute without license agreements or other
>similar contractual arrangements.

I don't have the Copyright Act in front of me, but I'm almost certain
the definition of "published" provided therein has nothing to do with
licensing, although I vaguely remember reading something (in some
copyright guide) that works distributed under trade-secret agreements
are not considered published.  It's my recollection that publishing has
to do with availability to a large class of people.  Drat.  Guess I'll
have to go look this up...
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706