[comp.protocols.ibm] Looking for a Good Reference on SNA

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (09/28/89)

Anybody know of a good introductory reference on SNA in particular and
(possibly) IBM protocols in general?
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860

burdick@hpindda.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) (09/29/89)

> Anybody know of a good introductory reference on SNA in particular and
> (possibly) IBM protocols in general?

Try "SNA: IBM's Networking Solution" by James Martin

Published by Prentice-Hall.

I contains a good overview of the SNA protocol as well as layer-by-layer
detailed descriptions.

							-matt
--
Matt Burdick			| Hewlett-Packard
burdick%hpda@hplabs.hp.com	| Technical Communications Lab  (IND/TCL)

burdick@hpindda.UUCP (Matt Burdick) (09/29/89)

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (09/30/89)

In article <8909282031.AA18413@jade.berkeley.edu> Adnan Yaqub <gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!wuarchive!mailrus!cwjcc!hal!ncoast!sgtech!adnan@A> writes:
>Anybody know of a good introductory reference on SNA in particular and
>(possibly) IBM protocols in general?

I don't know of a good "introductory" reference, but if you're looking for
reference materials (although SOMEWHAT outdated in relation to the latest
and greatest <IBM's opinion, not mine> IBM products), I can suggest two
IBM publications:
   SC30-3112  SNA Format and Protocol Reference Manual
     This is the "blueprint" that IBM built SNA from starting in 1979. They
     have just recently (with ACF/VTAM V3R2) implemented some of the
     elements that were defined way back then.  Besides giving the nitty-
     gritty about formats and logic, it also has English descriptions of
     how stuff works (or was intended to work.....note that IBM always
     disclaims that any of its products follow any of its protocols).
   GA27-3136-6  SNA Reference Summary
     This is NOT to be confused with the -7, -8, -9, etc. versions called
     "SNA Formats".  This is THE reference manual for byte/bit definitions
     and meanings (sometimes the meanings are not all that clear).  There
     is more than what's in this manual, but they've put that info into
     "LYxx-xxxx" documents (licensed), so you can't get at it.  Note that
     the -7 on up manuals have had significant information removed.  If
     you cannot get the -6 version, try ordering manual number
     GT00-2480-0 from Mechanicsburg (wherever that is....).

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

pasek@ncrcce.UUCP ("Michael A. Pasek") (09/30/89)

jeffr@sco.COM (jeffr) (10/02/89)

In article <ADNAN.89Sep28074527@sgtech.UUCP> adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
>Anybody know of a good introductory reference on SNA in particular and
>(possibly) IBM protocols in general?

A few people have suggested things like the protocol reference documents
by IBM.  These are not good introductory material, unless you are prepared
to try to absorb massive amounts of detailed specification before you begin
to understand what is going on.  On the other hand, those documents are
essential if you are going to try to implement these protocols.

There are at least three books I can suggest.  I know that there are
more.

(1) Cypser, R.J. _Communications_Architecture_for_Distributed_Systems_,
    Addison-Wesley, 1978(?).  For a long time the standard introduction
    to SNA, this book is now kind of out of date.  I've heard a rumor that
    a newer edition was being prepared but I don't know if it is true.
    This book purports to be a general introduction to data communications
    concepts using SNA as an example.  Given the date it was written,
    I suppose it was OK then, but now it is severely lacking in several
    areas, including discussion of LAN technologies, the newer Extended
    Network Addressing, LU6.2, and all of that sort of thing.  It may
    probably serve as a general introduction to the concepts, though,
    if you are willing to accept that some of the details are out of date.
(2) Guruge, Anura, _SNA:_Theory_and_Practice_, Pergamon Infotech, 1984.
    This is more up-to-date but is very detailed and a little dry.  It
    may or may not serve as a good introduction.  If you don't know much
    about general data communications concepts, don't bother with this
    book first.
(3) Martin, James, [title and publisher unknown], 1988 or 1989.
    I haven't read this book but I've been told --- by somebody I work
    with who has --- that it is a pretty good introduction, and that it
    is the most up-to-date.  I have seen it, and it has lots of nice
    diagrams (for what this is worth).  I'd probably look for this one
    first, then try for the others.

I am certain that there others, though.  I've seen them while browsing
at Computer Literacy bookstore in San Jose, CA.  In the SF bay area
I've seen other bookstores like Stanford's and Stacy's that are likely
to have such books.  Elsewhere you're on your own.

Jeff Radick
Networking & Communications
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
...!uunet!sco!jeffr or jeffr@sco.COM

jeffr@sco.UUCP (jeffr) (10/02/89)

wclark@csi.3Com.Com (Wayne Clark) (10/02/89)

In article <8909292321.AA07710@jade.berkeley.edu> Matt Burdick <hp-ses!hpcuhb!hpindda!burdick@HPLABS.HP.COM> writes:
>> Anybody know of a good introductory reference on SNA in particular and
>> (possibly) IBM protocols in general?
>
>Try "SNA: IBM's Networking Solution" by James Martin
>
>Published by Prentice-Hall.
>
>I contains a good overview of the SNA protocol as well as layer-by-layer
>detailed descriptions.
>
>                                                        -matt
>--
>Matt Burdick                    | Hewlett-Packard
>burdick%hpda@hplabs.hp.com      | Technical Communications Lab  (IND/TCL)

A slightly older but more comprehensive text for the "traditional" SNA is
"SNA: Theory and Practive" by Anura Guruge, Pergamon Infotech Limited, 1984.
The Martin book is also quite good, but it is an introductory text.  As
mentioned perviously, the book by Anton Meijer is quite terse, but it does
a good job of introducing LU 6.2 and NT 2.1 into the context of the
then-current SNA.

Wayne Clark
IBM Connectivity Operations, 3Com Corporation
(formerly Communications Solutions, Inc.)

EMail:	{nsc,bnrmtv,epimass,nsc}!csi!wclark
Phone:	408/562-6967

wclark@csi.UUCP (Wayne Clark) (10/02/89)