[comp.protocols.ibm] Session Manager

Kevin.Parris@UUN.BITNET (Kevin Parris) (11/07/89)

In an article of <31 Oct 89 15:50:06 GMT>, ART@UCONNVM.BITNET wrote:

 >We will be evaluating Session Managers in the next couple of months.
 >I was wondering if anyone out there has any particularly strong
 >recommendations. Also, I would be interested in hearing from
 >those folks who have looked into Session Managers, but decided
 >they did not need one.  (Perhaps deciding to use MLT's and PC/3270, Etc.)

My employer did not actually evaluate any software multiple-session products.
        We were adding 3270 cluster control units (but not IBM brand) anyway,
        and the 'Multiple Logical Unit' feature was quite inexpensive by
        comparison to the software prices.  With this feature, we have
        additional LU definitions in VTAM, and that is all.  With the software
        methods, you get the additional LU definitions in VTAM, plus the
        additional CPU time consumed by the session manager software, plus the
        additional virtual storage

requirements of the software.  I suppose the software approach may be more
        cost-effective with a large established hardware base of controllers
        and terminals, but on the other hand the hardware feature is a one-time
        cost with no recurring license fees.

   KRP

Kevin Parris == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.5!Kevin.Parris