[comp.protocols.ibm] LU 6.2 Questions

randys@otl.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randy Smerik) (11/21/89)

I have a few questions on LU 6.2:

1) The LU 6.2 TPRM describes the SYNCPT and BACKOUT verbs.  I have
   heard that these two verbs were never really implemented except
   internally within CICS.  Is this true?

2) Is there any vendor that implemented the SYNCPT and BACKOUT verbs?
   If so, what platforms, etc.

3) Is it true that the SYNCPT/BACKOUT verbs were not carried forward
   to SAA CPIC?

4) I have heard the phrase "IBM 2-phase commit protocols" used.  How
   do they relate to SYNCPT/BACKOUT?  What are they?

Thanks in advance,
Randy Smerik, randy.smerik@sandiego.ncr.com, (619) 485-2084

dukew@binky.sybase.com (Wayne Duquaine) (11/22/89)

(1) SYNCPT and BACKOUT were also implemented on the S/38 I believe, in
    addition to CICS.

(2) Any other vendor implemented SYNCPT and BACKOUT ? - I think
    CULLINET SOFTWARE's UCF tp monitor may have also implemented these
    as part of it LU 6.2 support.  It runs on S/370 mainframes.

(3) SYNCPT and BACKOUT were not carried forward in SAA CPIC ? - sad
    but true, and I regard this as a major screwup by IBM. I heard
    part of the problem was due to inter-product fights while CPIC
    was being designed.  I've heard rumors that an officially blessed
    version of SAA CPIC SYNCPT and BACKOUT will appear in some
    new version of the CPIC manual in the next 1-2 years.

(4) How do 2-phase commit protocols relate to SYNCPT and BACKOUT ? -
    Application (transaction) programs issue SYNCPT and BACKOUT calls.
    These calls are then translated into the required (SNA) 2-phase
    commit protocol (prepare/commit/committed/forget) over the wire.
    For more information on how these work, you may want to read
    Chapter 5.3 "Presentation Services - Sync Point Services Verbs"
    in IBM's SC31-6808 LU 6.2 Reference: Peer Protocols manual.

Hope this helps.

Wayne D.

=== Usual disclaimers apply ===

dukew@binky.UUCP (Wayne Duquaine) (11/22/89)

wclark@csi.3Com.Com (Wayne Clark) (11/28/89)

In article <2107@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> randys@otl.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randy Smerik) writes:

>I have a few questions on LU 6.2:
>
>1) The LU 6.2 TPRM describes the SYNCPT and BACKOUT verbs.  I have
>   heard that these two verbs were never really implemented except
>   internally within CICS.  Is this true?

Support for Synpoint Services (aka Option Set 108 per the latest update to the
TPRM) was announced on November 1st for VTAM 3.3.  It will be available in
June, 1990.  I have never encountered any other implementations of Syncpoint
Services outside CICS.

>2) Is there any vendor that implemented the SYNCPT and BACKOUT verbs?
>   If so, what platforms, etc.

Not sure.  I do know that none of the major vendors of SNA OEM software have
Syncpoint Services.

>3) Is it true that the SYNCPT/BACKOUT verbs were not carried forward
>   to SAA CPIC?

True. Stay tuned.

>4) I have heard the phrase "IBM 2-phase commit protocols" used.  How
>   do they relate to SYNCPT/BACKOUT?  What are they?

The term "2-phase" is used because there are two distinct phases that the
synchronized Transaction Programs must go through to complete the distributed
transaction:  one to verify that all TP's in the distributed transaction are
ready to commit and one to actually make the changes happen.

>Thanks in advance,
>Randy Smerik, randy.smerik@sandiego.ncr.com, (619) 485-2084

One final note:  the OSI Distributed Transaction Processsing (DTP) model
currently under standardization looks very similar to LU 6.2.  (Not merely
coincidental since IBM played a major role in its definition.)  However, as
might be expected, the OSI DTP model contains some features not found in
LU 6.2, especially in the area of distributed transaction processing.  I don't
believe you will see much activity from IBM in the area of LU 6.2 Syncpoint
Services until after OSI DTP reaches International Standard level, which is
supposed to be in the Autumn of 1990.  Then the LU 6.2 Syncpoint Services
model may be altered to match OSI DTP.

------------

Wayne Clark
IBM Connectivity Operations, 3Com Corporation
(formerly Communications Solutions, Inc.)

Phone:  408/562-6967
EMail:  Wayne_Clark@SPD.3mail.3Com.COM
                   -or-
        nsc,bnrmtv,epimass}!csi!wclark

wclark@csi.UUCP (Wayne Clark) (11/28/89)

        Smerik) writes:

>I have a few questions on LU 6.2:
>
>1) The LU 6.2 TPRM describes the SYNCPT and BACKOUT verbs.  I have
>   heard that these two verbs were never really implemented except
>   internally within CICS.  Is this true?

Support for Synpoint Services (aka Option Set 108 per the latest update to the
TPRM) was announced on November 1st for VTAM 3.3.  It will be available in
June, 1990.  I have never encountered any other implementations of Syncpoint
Services outside CICS.

>2) Is there any vendor that implemented the SYNCPT and BACKOUT verbs?
>   If so, what platforms, etc.

Not sure.  I do know that none of the major vendors of SNA OEM software have
Syncpoint Services.

>3) Is it true that the SYNCPT/BACKOUT verbs were not carried forward
>   to SAA CPIC?

True. Stay tuned.