[comp.protocols.ibm] IBM Product Information

paulh@sequent.UUCP (Paul G. Hahn) (11/23/89)

"nerf". I probably have the spelling all wrong and "nerf"
is probably one of the clever ways that people make words
out of acronyms. Apparently it relates or somehow uses
3270 data streams.

paulh@sequent.UUCP ("Paul G. Hahn") (11/23/89)

"nerf". I probably have the spelling all wrong and "nerf"
is probably one of the clever ways that people make words
out of acronyms. Apparently it relates or somehow uses
3270 data streams.

paulh@sequent.UUCP (Paul G. Hahn) (11/29/89)

I am trying to find out any information that is available on an IBM
product that I think is called "nerf". This is probably an acronym for
the real product. If anyone has any information, it would be very
helpful.

Thanks in advance for any information.

--
__
Paul G. Hahn

wclark@csi.3Com.Com (Wayne Clark) (11/30/89)

In article <25512@sequent.UUCP> paulh@sequent.UUCP (Paul G. Hahn) writes:

>I am trying to find out any information that is available on an IBM
>product that I think is called "nerf". This is probably an acronym for
>the real product. If anyone has any information, it would be very
>helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance for any information.
>
>--
>__
>Paul G. Hahn
>Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.
>{uunet|tektronix}!sequent!paulh

The product that you are referring to is probably the Network Routing Facility
aka "NRF".  I believe it is currently at Release 3, but IBM just announced
(on October 31st) that Release 5 will be available in December for MVS
and January for VM.  It runs on the Communications Controller with ACF/NCP
and is responsible for things like extended subarea addressing, timeout
management, ...

The program product number is 5668-963 and the General Information manual
for it is GC27-0594.  Its initial license fee is ~$4500 and its monthly
license fee is ~$1500.

I am in no way affiliated with IBM -- I just watch them.

Wayne Clark
IBM Connectivity Operations, 3Com Corporation
(formerly Communications Solutions, Inc.)

Phone:  408/562-6967
EMail:  Wayne_Clark@SPD.3mail.3Com.COM
                 -or-
        {nsc,bnrmtv,epimass}!csi!wclark