[comp.protocols.ibm] Interactive sessions betwwen unix boxes on SNA network

musson@usdtsg.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott Musson) (12/16/89)

I am dealing with a client who has a 200 site SNA/SDLC MPLL network.

Each node has or will have a UNIX box running NCr's SNA software.

We are currently doing 3270, LU1 printers and LU0 file transfer.

What I am looking for is anyone who has implemented what we call
remote terminal or virtual terminal functionality.

In other words, I would like my unix box at headquarters to act as a terminal
on a remote unix box, through the existing SNA/SDLC network.  This would        probably be an LU6.2 application, but I am unable to find a vendor providing
this functionality.

HELP!!!

Thanks,,,,,,, Scott Musson

musson@usdtsg.UUCP (Scott Musson) (12/16/89)

rbp@well.UUCP (Bob Pasker) (12/18/89)

In article <385@usdtsg.Dayton.NCR.COM> musson@usdtsg.Dayton.NCR.COM (Scott Musson) writes:
>In other words, I would like my unix box at headquarters to act as a terminal
>on a remote unix box, through the existing SNA/SDLC network.

In order for this to work you must have PU type 2.1 software on your
UNIX box that your VT user can bind to.  What this means is that your
UNIX terminal user must initiate an LU-SSCP session with the manager
of his domain (usually VTAM, in this hierarchical network) and then
request an LU-LU session to a cross-domain resource which is an LU in
another domain: the domain controlled by your UNIX PU type 2.1.

Currently, this is not implemented in any UNIX product I know of, but
someone may still have it or be working on it.  I believe DEC and
INTERLINK have done/are doing PU type 2.1 for VAX/VMS.  Maybe DEC will
make it availible on ultrix (dec's UNIX).

>This would probably be an LU6.2 application

Unlikely, since LU6.2 is an peer-to-peer application protocol which is
designed for client-server type of transaction processing.  You need a
LU type 2 protocol, which is for terminals and such devices.

Hope this helps.

--
- bob