[comp.protocols.ibm] DEC to IBM connectivity

SMITH@GECRDVM1.BITNET (Don Smith) (12/27/89)

It has been over three years since I have looked into the IBM/DEC connectivity
area.. We have both DEC SNA GATEWAYS and the INTERLink to VM facilities
installed in various locations across the company..
 We have been using the DEC SNA GATEWAYs mostly for Virtual Terminal access.
The current INTERLink I believe is under utilized. I'm trying to understand
its' full capabilities at this time...
 I would like to provide a single cohesive DEC to IBM datacenter facility for
Terminal access, file xfer, and a path to EMAIL .
 If anyone is aware of products other than the above I would like to hear
from you....
 Don Smith
 GE-CIT/CRD

pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) (01/06/90)

I have an IBM 3270 teminal emulator for VMS that I need to check out.
Does anybody have a validation suite, or test data or documentationon
the 3270 protocol so I can build it up?   I don't have quat to work
with, having flown blind this far.  The TE was built by DEC and then
never completed.  let me know.
THanks

Pat @ grebyn.com  | If the human mind was simple enough to understand,
301-948-8142      | We'd be too simple to understand it.

pat@grebyn.UUCP (Pat Bahn) (01/06/90)

Kevin.Parris@p5.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Parris) (01/10/90)

In an article of <5 Jan 90 17:12:36 GMT>, pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) writes:

 >I have an IBM 3270 teminal emulator for VMS that I need to check out.
 >Does anybody have a validation suite, or test data or documentationon
 >the 3270 protocol so I can build it up?   I don't have quat to work
 >with, having flown blind this far.  The TE was built by DEC and then
 >never completed.  let me know.

My employer recently installed a DEC Channel-attached SNA Gateway unit, and
3270TE software for VMS to operate in conjuction with it.  The Gateway-CT is a
new product, but an SDLC-attached version has been available for some time,
called Gateway-ST.  The VMS software for TE (and also JES2/RJE services) works
just fine here.  From your message, it sounds like you have something old, or
for a different kind of interface.

   KRP

Note: I am not affiliated with the University of South Carolina (which does
provide the USENET gateway I utilize), or with Digital Equipment Corporation.

Kevin Parris == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.5!Kevin.Parris

hank@bitnic.BITNET (01/10/90)

In an article of <5 Jan 90 17:12:36 GMT>, pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) writes:

 >I have an IBM 3270 teminal emulator for VMS that I need to check out.
 >Does anybody have a validation suite, or test data or documentationon
 >the 3270 protocol so I can build it up?   I don't have quat to work
 >with, having flown blind this far.  The TE was built by DEC and then
 >never completed.  let me know.

My employer recently installed a DEC Channel-attached SNA Gateway unit, and
3270TE software for VMS to operate in conjuction with it.  The Gateway-CT is a
new product, but an SDLC-attached version has been available for some time,
called Gateway-ST.  The VMS software for TE (and also JES2/RJE services) works
just fine here.  From your message, it sounds like you have something old, or
for a different kind of interface.

   KRP

Note: I am not affiliated with the University of South Carolina (which does
provide the USENET gateway I utilize), or with Digital Equipment Corporation.

Kevin Parris == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.5!Kevin.Parris

rbp@well.UUCP (Bob Pasker) (01/12/90)

It could be one of several products, and need not be obsolete:

	VMS/SNA which is a software implementation of an SNA Geateway for
	q-bus and BI bus machines or DEC 3270 emulator, which runs on either
	the DMF-32 or the DUP-11 (for unibus) or the DPV-11 (for qbus)

I've worked with all of these products, so you can mail me with
more specific questions about it.
--
- bob
;-----------------------------------------------------------------

pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) (01/17/90)

>In an article of <5 Jan 90 17:12:36 GMT>, pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) writes:
>
> >I have an IBM 3270 teminal emulator for VMS that I need to check out.
> >Does anybody have a validation suite, or test data or documentationon
>  From your message, it sounds like you have something old, or
>for a different kind of interface.

The 3270 emulation software was written by chris Mauro and robert
furtado  of DEC and the US Govt respectively.  Does anyone know them?
At any rate it was meant to implement 3270 across telnet.  The telnet
had hooks to support 3270.  I've been given this code with a mission to
change it to hook across a proprietary comms interface based on DECNET
and to talk then to a host that will hook telnet to the IBM HOST.
CLUDGE, but we have no other choice. We can't run TCP/IP on the
workstations and we can't give the users direct access to DECNET.   It's
a pain, but that's where we are.  My problem is I need to generate test
data to check out the emulator software.  I've got some but I really
need a better way to test everything.  If anyone has manual numbers
that explain IBM protocols, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Pat

PS  The 3270 software was written in 1987, so it is kinda old.
But it's govt property so we have to use it, we can't go buy a new
COTS product.

pat@grebyn.UUCP (Pat Bahn) (01/17/90)

>In an article of <5 Jan 90 17:12:36 GMT>, pat@grebyn.com (Pat Bahn) writes:
>
> >I have an IBM 3270 teminal emulator for VMS that I need to check out.
> >Does anybody have a validation suite, or test data or documentationon
>  From your message, it sounds like you have something old, or
>for a different kind of interface.

The 3270 emulation software was written by chris Mauro and robert
furtado  of DEC and the US Govt respectively.  Does anyone know them?
At any rate it was meant to implement 3270 across telnet.  The telnet
had hooks to support 3270.  I've been given this code with a mission to
change it to hook across a proprietary comms interface based on DECNET
and to talk then to a host that will hook telnet to the IBM HOST.
CLUDGE, but we have no other choice. We can't run TCP/IP on the
workstations and we can't give the users direct access to DECNET.   It's
a pain, but that's where we are.  My problem is I need to generate test
data to check out the emulator software.  I've got some but I really
need a better way to test everything.  If anyone has manual numbers
that explain IBM protocols, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Pat

PS  The 3270 software was written in 1987, so it is kinda old.
But it's govt property so we have to use it, we can't go buy a new
COTS product.

Pat @ grebyn.com  | If the human mind was simple enough to understand,
301-948-8142      | We'd be too simple to understand it.

conwell@rd1632.Dayton.NCR.COM (Ted Conwell) (01/17/90)

Refer to "IBM 3270 Information Display System Data Stream, Programmer's
Reference", document number GA23-0059.  This should provide you with the
information you need to write test data for your purposes.

Confirm Delivery:  yes
Ted Conwell                        | Ted.Conwell@Dayton (NCR Internal)
NCR Corporation                    | Ted.Conwell@rd1632.Dayton.NCR.Com (CSNET)
Software Technology, R&D, WHQ-5E   |