[comp.protocols.ibm] Strange mail paths

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (04/13/90)

In article <9004122105.AA19599@lilac.berkeley.edu> John C Klensin <KLENSIN@INFOODS.MIT.EDU> writes:
>Stephen C. Woods writes:
>>    The problem is that the people who are most likley to have the skills
>>wanted here (System/370) [...] into a lot of trouble whose symptoms will be
>people being unable to reply to your mail, and is worth fixing, whatever
>that takes:
>  >  From:         ucla-seas!scw%CS.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>It *is* one of the natural consequences of trying to source-route; what
>probably happened here was that the bang-route "ucla-seas!scw@CS.UCLA.EDU"
>arrived at the BITNET->Internet gateway "mitvma.mit.edu", which "fixed" it
>into the form above, following the exact rules we have been discussing.
>The problem is that there is no established precedence rule about ! and %,
>so the above can be construed as (at least):
> (i) ucla-seas!scw at CS.UCLA.EDU via mitvma.mit.edu (probably what was
>intended)    or as
> (ii) scw%CS.UCLA.EDU at ucla-seas via mitvma.mit.edu

Intrestingly enough I suspect that this UGLY (but workable) route was
probably machine generated at the gateway between the the Usenet
newsgroup 'comp.protocols.ibm' and the mail based equivalent.  BTW I think
that there are 2 gateways between this newsgroup and the mailing list as
most messages appear to be duplicated in the newsgroup.

My outgoing mail is addressed from either scw@ollie.seas.ucla.edu or
scw@seas.ucla.edu (and very rarely scw@cs.ucla.edu) depending on where
I sent it from.
Here are the headers just as I send it.
<scw>
From: scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.ibm
Subject: Strange mail paths (was  e-mail and System/370 Systems Person)
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...!{ibmsupt,hao!cepu}!ollie}!scw ARPA:scw@{Ollie.,}SEAS.UCLA.EDU

scw@ucla-seas.UUCP (04/13/90)

From: scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.ibm