[comp.protocols.ibm] TCP/IP and SNA

tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) (05/04/90)

dboyes@RICE.EDU (David Boyes) writes:

>In article <9946@stiatl.UUCP> tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) writes:
>>dboyes@rice.edu (David Boyes) writes:
>>>as the IBM TCP product supports IP over SNA.
>>Oh really?  How does this work?  I was told (by many, many IBMers) that
>>IP cannot run over SNA links.  If this is possible, I would sure like
>>to know how.

>The IBM TCP/IP for VM (and the MVS version, too) implementation
>provides a application called SNALINK that does the encapsulation
>processing and pumps it through a LU 0 VTAM connection
>to a similar configuration on the other side of the SNA
>connection, where the remote SNALINK machine unwraps it and does
>it's thing.

This would mean that there are mainframes (something running SNALINK)
on the endpoints of the SNA conversation.  I would have RS/6000s on at
least one end of each conversation, with a 3745 attached to a 3090 acting
as a central site.

This would work if there was something like SNALINK for the RS/6000.  Is
there such a thing?

Tom

--
Tom Wiencko                                            (w) (404) 977-4515
gatech!stiatl!tom                                  Wiencko & Associates, Inc.

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (06/04/90)

tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko)...
> This would mean that there are mainframes (something running SNALINK)
> on the endpoints of the SNA conversation.  I would have RS/6000s on at
> least one end of each conversation, with a 3745 attached to a 3090 acting
> as a central site.
>
> This would work if there was something like SNALINK for the RS/6000.  Is
> there such a thing?

I am told that there is.  'Course I don't have an RS/6000, so I don't
have any particular reason to follow up on what I was told.
                         - tom

--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer