[comp.protocols.ibm] TCP/IP Between PCs And Mainframes...What Physical Layers?

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (06/07/90)

Using IBM's mainframe TCP-IP implementations and OS/2 Extended Edition's
TCP/IP, what physical layers can be used?  I assume Ethernet at minimum,
but what about token ring, and what about SDLC since that is how the
vast majority of PCs are linked to mainframes?  Also, what about the case
where a PC goes through a gateway that emulates a 3174 and is connected
by modem to a 3725?

Thanks,
Will Estes        (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Will)

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (06/08/90)

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:

>Using IBM's mainframe TCP-IP implementations and OS/2 Extended Edition's
>TCP/IP, what physical layers can be used?  I assume Ethernet at minimum,
>but what about token ring, and what about SDLC since that is how the
>vast majority of PCs are linked to mainframes?  Also, what about the case
>where a PC goes through a gateway that emulates a 3174 and is connected
>by modem to a 3725?

The preferred method is via the "LAN Channel Attach" (i.e. the 8232 and its
replacement.) This device provides for Ethernet and Token-Ring TCP/IP
connections to the mainframe.

I do not think that IBM supports a TCP/IP connection via SDLC (either
directly SDLC or via a TIC to a 3174 which is using SDLC.) If you find
that there is indeed a method to TCP/IP through a 3714 (other
than the new box from Mitek), please post or email!
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

hank@bitnic.BITNET (06/08/90)