[comp.protocols.ibm] CICS/VSE/VM/VTAM Printer Support?

ERIC@ETSU.BITNET (Eric Job) (08/13/90)

We are running CICS under an older version of DOS/VSE under
VM/SP 5.  Currently we have printers attached to CICS on 3274-41D
controllers.  Also under VM/SP we have VM/VTAM 3.2 and we would
like for a VTAM printer to be attached to CICS in some way.

Installing VTAM under DOS/VSE for us is not an option.  We are
phasing this system out within a year and a half.

+---------------------------------+          +--------+
|VM/SP 5                     #===============|3274-41D|
|                                 |          +--------+
|                                 |              |
|                                 |              |
+--+---+                          |              Printer
|  |   |        +------------ ----+
|V | V |        | DOS/VSE         |
|T | S |        |                 |
|A | C |        |    +------------+
|M | S |        |    |            |
|  |   |        |    |  CICS      |
|  |   |        |    |            |
+--+---+--------+----+------------+

+--------+
|3174-11L|                      Is there a way to get the PC printer
+--------+                      shown in this diagram attached through
                                VTAM/VSCS to DOS/VSE?  (The PC runs
                                Personal Communications/3270.)

      Personal                  Thanks for all your help.
      Computer

           Printer

Eric Job <ERIC@ETSU.BITNET>, (615)929-6857, BITNET TechRep
Networking/Systems Support, Office of Computer Services
Box 24,340-A, East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, TN  USA 37614-0002
               _______________________________________
    __________/                                   ___/
   /                                     ETSU * _/
  /                                        ____/
 /                                     ___/
/_____________________________________/

dboyes@rice.edu (David Boyes) (08/19/90)

In article <9008140337.AA29722@lilac.berkeley.edu> Eric Job <ERIC%ETSU.BITNET@lilac.berkeley.edu> writes:
>We are running CICS under an older version of DOS/VSE under
>VM/SP 5.  Currently we have printers attached to CICS on 3274-41D
>controllers.  Also under VM/SP we have VM/VTAM 3.2 and we would
>like for a VTAM printer to be attached to CICS in some way.

If you have RSCS v2.2 or greater, there is a way, but BE WARNED.
THIS IS AN EVIL KLUDGE -- don't expect stellar performance.

What you can do is set up your VSE guest machine to IPL CMS first
to set up some environmental stuff and then IPL VSE. The trick is
to define a virtual 1403 at some virtual address within the VSE
machine and spool it to RSCS on the 1st level machine. You
should then set up a SNA3270P link to the VTAM printer you want
to use, and tag the output appropriately.

As far as CICS knows, there's a real 1403 out there for it to
use, and all that other ickyness is invisible.

>Eric Job <ERIC@ETSU.BITNET>, (615)929-6857, BITNET TechRep
>Networking/Systems Support, Office of Computer Services

I realize this is a bit muddled, but it ought to work OK, if
slowly. Drop me a note if you wanna talk about it more.
--
David Boyes       |  "Where's the ka-boom? There's supposed to be an
dboyes@rice.edu   |  Earth-shattering ka-boom!...Heavens! Someone has
                  |  stolen the Illudium Q-38 Explosive Space Modulator!
"Delays, delays!" |  The Earth creature has *stolen* the Space Modulator!"