[comp.protocols.ibm] 3270 terminals accessing UNIX host by dialup?

wcs) (08/21/90)

We have a client with a bunch of 3270 terminals, cluster
controllers, etc., who would like to add some kind of dialup
capability to reach async hosts (or TCP/IP, or X,25 if necessary.)
What's a good way to accomplish this?

Also, does anyone make a convenient interface from this block-mode
side of the world into DBMSs like Oracle or Informix?
General SQL queries would be interesting, but the basic application
is fill-in-the-blanks and some searching for predefined queries.

			Thanks;  Bill
--
# Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs
# AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ 07733

Great!! We get to have a war to protect Exxon and King Fahd!!

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (08/22/90)

wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:

>We have a client with a bunch of 3270 terminals, cluster
>controllers, etc., who would like to add some kind of dialup
>capability to reach async hosts (or TCP/IP, or X,25 if necessary.)

Two ways: 1) put the IBM asynch cards in the 3174 cluster controllers;
   these can be configured for dial-out as well as dial-in. I think that
   each card provides 8 serial ports, and you'll get microcode to hack an
   emulation out of a 3270 (but you'll have to press an attention key
   anytime you want data sent).  2) Put a Mitek box on the host, and it
   will let you connect via TCP/IP to Unix; it too provides an asynch
   terminal emulation for a 3270.

Depending on the number of terminals, it may be cheaper to buy $300 terminals
for each user. Plus, the 3270 is NEVER going to provide a good asynch terminal,
because it is inherently a block mode terminal.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (08/24/90)

In article <1353@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

>Depending on the number of terminals, it may be cheaper to buy $300 terminals
>for each user. Plus, the 3270 is NEVER going to provide a good asynch terminal,
>because it is inherently a block mode terminal.

It's definitely cheaper to buy a $300 async terminal instead of a 3270...

The 3270 running through a 3174 with an async comm adapter, though, emulates
a real VT-100 pretty closely, including getting away from the block-mode
orientation. It does well enough.

On the other hand, using a 3270 in native mode through a host-based adapter
such as the Mitek, or the Interlink I'm using, makes a pretty lousy VT100.
Doing anything other than straight line-by-line text entry is a royal pain.
You haven't lived until you've used emacs this way... :-(
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

thesis1.hsch.utexas.EDU@lib.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (08/24/90)

littauer@uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (08/25/90)

In article <9008232236.AA26361@lilac.berkeley.edu> Jay Maynard <lib!thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu@TMC.EDU> writes:

>On the other hand, using a 3270 in native mode through a host-based adapter
>such as the Mitek, or the Interlink I'm using, makes a pretty lousy VT100.
>Doing anything other than straight line-by-line text entry is a royal pain.
>You haven't lived until you've used emacs this way... :-(

If you're stuck with 3270's the best thing to do is use a UNIX that actually
supports them, and provides tools (editors, etc.) that make them as painless
as they can be made to be. It's even possible to make curses (the library :-)
work with 3270's if you can deal with their half-duplex nature.

*** Bias Alert ***

I work with Amdahl's UTS (the UNIX described above).
--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ames,uunet}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).

littauer@amdahl.UUCP (Tom Littauer) (08/25/90)