[comp.protocols.ibm] reaching VNET

daqing@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Daqing Wan) (08/28/90)

=
 I am interested in reaching a machine at IBM San Jose, California.
 The name of the machine is SJMVM2 and it is connected to the vnet.
 Does anybody  know   how I could send mail from internet  to that
 machine?  Or anybody willing to forward mail automatically there
 for 2 months. Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated.

  A poor student trying to get in touch with his girlfriend who is
 at IBM with an internship.

 S. del Castillo
 qutub54@spire.ms.washington.edu

=

KLENSIN@INFOODS.MIT.EDU (John C Klensin) (08/30/90)

S. del Castillo writes:

> I am interested in reaching a machine at IBM San Jose, California.
> The name of the machine is SJMVM2 and it is connected to the vnet.
> Does anybody  know   how I could send mail from internet  to that
> machine?  Or anybody willing to forward mail automatically there
> for 2 months. Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>  A poor student trying to get in touch with his girlfriend who is
> at IBM with an internship.

In general, questions like this are best asked on info-nets (send mail to
info-nets-request@think.com to subscribe).   However, briefly:
  - The gateways between BITNET and the Internet on the one hand and IBM's
VNET on the other are quite restricted, and, in general, IBM personnel have
to have special accounting authorization and special permission to send
mail to, or receive mail from, the "outside".  The authorization has to be
requested internally, through normal management channels, and the reasons
for the access have to be documented.  As I understand it, most people in
the research division(s) who have a good reasons (good in terms of value to
IBM) will usually get permission; people elsewhere in the company usually
will not get permission unless the reason is astonishingly good--and then
not quickly.
  - With the permission and authorization will typically come an address
that, for a San Jose site, would almost certainly look like
username@IBM.COM, without explicit reference to the actual user ID or
network node.
  If she wants to pursue this, she should discuss it with her management.
If they don't have an account that she can use, and won't (or can't)
authorize an account, then the odds of your getting through are slight.
Extremely slight.
-------

drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com (08/30/90)

In article <9008282358.AA11244@lilac.berkeley.edu> Daqing Wan <daqing@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU> writes:
> I am interested in reaching a machine at IBM San Jose, California.
> The name of the machine is SJMVM2 and it is connected to the vnet.
> Does anybody  know   how I could send mail from internet  to that
> machine?  Or anybody willing to forward mail automatically there
> for 2 months. Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated.

The IBM VNET is now accessible from the Internet via domain "iinus1.ibm.com".
So your friend's address would be "userid@sjmvm2.iinus1.ibm.com".

BUT ... only registered users within IBM can use the gateway, so unless
your friend has registered you can't get to her.  Any manager can register
her employees in a trivial overnight process, so that shouldn't stop your
friend for long.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861