[comp.protocols.ibm] LU 6.2 protocol

gt2807a@prism.gatech.EDU (Benjamin H. Cowan) (08/29/90)

  I am looking for a program for an IBM pc that uses the IBM vtam LU6.2 protocol
that will xmit control commands (e.g. signon, signoff, etc.) to an IBM mainframe
and receive data from the mainframe.
  Any info on where to obtain said program would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!!

COWAN,BENJAMIN HAROLD
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt2807a
Reply to: gt2807a@prism.gatech.edu

dukew@binky.sybase.com (Wayne Duquaine) (08/30/90)

In article <9008281913.AA06503@lilac.berkeley.edu> "Benjamin H. Cowan" <usc!samsung!rex!uflorida!stat!sun13!prism!prism.gatech.EDU!gt2807a%UCSD.BITNET@lilac.berkeley.edu> writes:

>  I am looking for a program for an IBM pc that uses the IBM vtam LU6.2 protocol
>that will xmit control commands (e.g. signon, signoff, etc.) to an IBM mainframe
>and receive data from the mainframe.

Whoa, there.  Signon/Signoff are 3270-isms that do not exist in LU 6.2.
It uses a different method called Init-Self/Term-Self that perform an
analogous function, but more cleanly.

Products for the PC that you can buy for LU 6.2 support are:
      APPC/PC   from  IBM      (DOS)
      OS/2 EE   from  IBM      (OS/2)
      AdaptSNA  from  Network Software Associates (Laguna Hills CA)  (DOS)
      CommServer from Microsoft (OS/2)

There are a couple others I can't recall offhand. 3COM also sells a board
level product (MAXSESS) that includes SNA on it.

Just out of curiosity, what type of application are you trying to build ?
Are you using APPC/VTAM or CICS for the LU 6.2 support ?

Hope this helps.
   wayne duquaine
.

dukew@binky.UUCP (Wayne Duquaine) (08/30/90)

        writes:

>  I am looking for a program for an IBM pc that uses the IBM vtam LU6.2
        protocol
>that will xmit control commands (e.g. signon, signoff, etc.) to an IBM
        mainframe
>and receive data from the mainframe.

Whoa, there.  Signon/Signoff are 3270-isms that do not exist in LU 6.2.
It uses a different method called Init-Self/Term-Self that perform an
analogous function, but more cleanly.

Products for the PC that you can buy for LU 6.2 support are:
      APPC/PC   from  IBM      (DOS)
      OS/2 EE   from  IBM      (OS/2)
      AdaptSNA  from  Network Software Associates (Laguna Hills CA)  (DOS)
      CommServer from Microsoft (OS/2)

There are a couple others I can't recall offhand. 3COM also sells a board
level product (MAXSESS) that includes SNA on it.

Just out of curiosity, what type of application are you trying to build ?
Are you using APPC/VTAM or CICS for the LU 6.2 support ?

Hope this helps.
   wayne duquaine
.

zintel (Mike Zintel) (08/31/90)

In article <9008281913.AA06503@lilac.berkeley.edu> "Benjamin H. Cowan" <usc!samsung!rex!uflorida!stat!sun13!prism!prism.gatech.EDU!gt2807a%UCSD.BITNET@lilac.berkeley.edu> writes:

>  I am looking for a program for an IBM pc that uses the IBM vtam LU6.2 protocol
>that will xmit control commands (e.g. signon, signoff, etc.) to an IBM mainframe
>and receive data from the mainframe.

I have used IBM's APPC/PC product to write a gateway application that talked
to VTAM and CICS. APPC/PC is a (large 200K) TSR that has an assembler API to
the APPC verbs. LU6.2 is designed for multi-tasking environments. APPC/PC
forces you to write an "application subsystem" that loads and runs transaction
programs, and helps with configuration issues. I implemented transaction
programs as finite state machines with a single entry point that returned
control to the subsystem dispatcher after each message exchange. There was
only one EXE file. Be sure to order the programming guide from IBM with the
product as they are sold seperately.

What are xmit commands ?

OS/2 EE communications manager supports LU6.2 and has a much friendlier API.

--
Mike Zintel
{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!mdivax1!zintel

zintel@mdivax1.UUCP (08/31/90)