[comp.protocols.ibm] hi

UNBENT@ECSVAX.BITNET ("Jay F. Rosenberg") (09/07/90)

        Hi yourself!  It's miserable being back here.  Nothing but work at
the office, aggravation cleaning and reconstructing the house, and militant
jingoism across the land and all over TV.  Gina and I both want to be back
in Germany, where people are civilized and optimistic and the beer is good.
To make matters worse, Jesse Helms is running for re-election this year
against a BLACK former mayor of Charlotte.  You can imagine how smarmy the
TV ads are getting -- and there are *lots* of them.  And then there's the
fact that the University is in the middle of the worst budget crisis in the
last 25+ years.  Nobody in Raleigh has the courage to raise the taxes to pay
the freight, so the library is being decimated, positions are not being
filled -- hell, we can't even buy paper!  No, these are not the best of
times.
        Sorry to hear that things are so rough at your end.  It must be an
epidemic.  David and Sally (Rosenthal) are also permanently split (Sally
having left David).  Rather worse than your situation in that there's a kid
being fought over, but David is equally depressed.  Yeah, c'mon down for
Colloquium.  We can sleep you.  David will be here, too, and y'all can have
a commiseration session.
        I'll need to hunt around a little to come up with the name of
someone to write at AvH, but the bottom line is that it doesn't make much
difference.  What you'll need is a current curriculum vitae (showing what
you've done since the last time around), a research project for this time
around, and someone in Germany to be your sponsor (i.e., go on record as
saying that your research project is a Good Thing Much Deserving Of Support,
and that he and his university will be glad to take you under their wings in
such matters as office space, library access, finding housing, and what have
you).  I'll see if I can dig up my own letters of approach and application
which led to last year.  I wouldn't worry too much about the relative
East-West balance of current grants.  Reactivations are a special category.
        I envy you your month in France.  I envy anyone every bloody minute
anywhere in Europe!  Welcome back.  I'll stay in touch.  Do same.  -- Jay

Date: 7 Sep 90 11:40:43 GMT
From: bunny!hhg1@husc6.harvard.edu  (Hallett German)
Subject: TSO Books
Sender: hank%bitnic.BITNET@lilac.berkeley.edu
To: ibm-nets@bitnic.BITNET

Asfor books just on TSO there are really three:

1. DOUG Lowe TSO Murach & Associates. A Good Intro to TSO but dated.
Little on Clists nothing on REXX.
2. Hal German TSO/E Clists: Basics, tips, and Applications. Does have an
   intro TSO chapter plus a discussion on Session Manager, ISPF, REXX,
   PDF Edit Macros and much on clists.
3. Blue Book just came out. Little on TSO mostly on ISPF.

Send me your mailing address for a 30 day trial. of book #2 (mine).
Not sure if it good outside of USA.

Hope that helps