[comp.protocols.ibm] Double-posting

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (09/30/90)

Why is "lilac.berkeley.edu" (or maybe "daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU")
double-posting everyone's messages? It's changing the "Message-ID:"
header (and gratuitously rewriting several others as well), so the
duplicate-detection code in the news system doesn't see they're
duplicates. For example:

+--------------- Sinha article as received *not* through "ucbvax"

+--------------- Sinha article as received through "ucbvax"
| From: ravi@EARTH.CE.NWU.EDU (Ravi Sinha)
| Newsgroups: comp.protocols.ibm
| Subject: Remote mounting hard disk from PC to RS/6000
| Date: 19 Sep 90 22:30:46 GMT
| Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Note especially that the "Message-ID" has been changed (the major ill).

The "Reply-To" has been changed to a form which is ambiguous (and will
probably fail from many mailers). There was no need for this: the orginal
"Reply-To" was perfectly legal and unambiguous, and "ravi@earth.ce.nwu.edu"
is on the Internet (at least "finger" thinks so!).

The "Sender" is changed to "daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU", which doesn't
quite match "Message-ID: <9009192312.AA20699@lilac.berkeley.edu>".
(Which host did it, "ucbvax" or "lilac"?)

And the "Organization" has been blotted over with a meaningless "The Internet".

Here's another example (I could list dozens, but maybe two is enough):

+---------------
| Newsgroups: comp.protocols.ibm
| Subject: Does SSI LU6.2 work ?
| Date: 20 Sep 90 22:26:40 GMT
| From: zintel@mdivax1.UUCP
| Newsgroups: comp.protocols.ibm
| Subject: Does SSI LU6.2 work ?
| Date: 20 Sep 90 22:26:40 GMT
| Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Is this a problem with a maillist-to-news gateway somewhere that's not
propagating enough header info? And thus UCB is substituting (iincorrect)
generic info? Or is it something else...?

Can it be fixed? PLEASE?!?!?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

        <hayes.fai.alaska.edu!accuvax.nwu.edu!earth.ce.nwu.edu!ravi@DECWRL