[comp.protocols.ibm] IBM Mainframe SNA to TCP/IP Hosts; X-windows, etc

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (11/30/90)

Hello net.oracle.

We're in desparate need of the following:

o)	An X-based solution to 3270 emulation and file transfer, which can
	run over something similar to (or actually a) Mitek gateway

		or

o)	Unix and PC (under B&W NFS, or NETBIOS) solutions to the above.

So far we have been spectacularly unsuccessful in doing this.  We NEED to
get from our environments here (BWNFS and Workstation) based to the
mainframe environment!

Any help or pointers appreciated.  Pay-for software and harware are fine,
ads are fine, free stuff is fine, anything we can get our hands on that
WORKS.

The tn3270 application does not work AT ALL, since our host system insists
on sending "write structured field" calls, and we can't reply to them (the
defines are there in the code source, but there's no code to back them up).
We've been unsuccessful in locating a more recent version of the code.
CUTCP (ie: Clarkson's CUTE Telnet 3270) doesn't work either, for the same
reason.

We're about to run out of options here; any help is GREATLY appreciated.  We
can do X11 on all the platforms, but we need a way to do the mainframe
connectivity.

Thanks in advance.  Ads and all advice welcome.

Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com
(708) 317-3285
Disclaimer:  Contents represent opinions of the author; I do not speak for
	     AC Nielsen on Usenet.

bc@hpspdra.HP.COM (Bill Crandall) (12/01/90)

You might try to reconfigure your host so that it doesn't send
a Write Structured Field.  Look in the hostgen.

Or check the Query Reply sent by your 3270 emulator to make sure
that it's not telling the host that it supports WSFs.  There's a bit
in the Query Reply that indicates that (although it might be
disguised as a "Reserved" bit -- make sure all "Reserved" bits
are turned off).

Good luck.

Bill Crandall
HP Intelligent Networks Operation

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (12/02/90)

In article <12720003@hpspdra.HP.COM> bc@hpspdra.HP.COM (Bill Crandall) writes:
>You might try to reconfigure your host so that it doesn't send
>a Write Structured Field.  Look in the hostgen.

>Or check the Query Reply sent by your 3270 emulator to make sure
>that it's not telling the host that it supports WSFs.  There's a bit
>in the Query Reply that indicates that (although it might be
>disguised as a "Reserved" bit -- make sure all "Reserved" bits
>are turned off).

We ran afoul of one other gotcha: Run a VTAM trace on the failing session.
Look at the query reply, and make sure it isn't lying about its capabilities.
If not, then your host program may be making invalid assumptions about the
terminal's capabilities, and acting as though some unspecified capability
is there when it wasn't mentioned in the query reply, just because none of
the standard terminals acts that way.

Case in point: FTP Software's PC/TCP sends query replies saying only that
it supports extended highlighting and colors, and no other extended datastream
functions. PHOENIX 7.1.1 got that reply and assumed (incorrectly) that the
device supported the 3270DS WSF, as well...and things broke. (This is fixed
in PHOENIX 7.2, BTW.) If your application makes invalid assumptions, complain
at your vendor.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

thesis1.hsch.utexas.EDU@lib.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (12/02/90)

In article <12720003@hpspdra.HP.COM> bc@hpspdra.HP.COM (Bill Crandall) writes:
>You might try to reconfigure your host so that it doesn't send
>a Write Structured Field.  Look in the hostgen.

>Or check the Query Reply sent by your 3270 emulator to make sure
>that it's not telling the host that it supports WSFs.  There's a bit
>in the Query Reply that indicates that (although it might be
>disguised as a "Reserved" bit -- make sure all "Reserved" bits
>are turned off).

We ran afoul of one other gotcha: Run a VTAM trace on the failing session.
Look at the query reply, and make sure it isn't lying about its capabilities.
If not, then your host program may be making invalid assumptions about the
terminal's capabilities, and acting as though some unspecified capability
is there when it wasn't mentioned in the query reply, just because none of
the standard terminals acts that way.

Case in point: FTP Software's PC/TCP sends query replies saying only that
it supports extended highlighting and colors, and no other extended datastream
functions. PHOENIX 7.1.1 got that reply and assumed (incorrectly) that the
device supported the 3270DS WSF, as well...and things broke. (This is fixed
in PHOENIX 7.2, BTW.) If your application makes invalid assumptions, complain
at your vendor.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.
  "...flames are a specific art form of Usenet..." -- Gregory C. Woodbury

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/05/90)

You didn't say whether or not your Host is using VM or MVS...if
it is VM, a quick and dirty solution is NOT to respond to the
WSF Query Response Reply command at all....the host then
internally assumes.... "Oh, a 3277 emulator, eh?" and treats you
as a 3277 Model 2 device....

In VM, there are only about a thousand different places that
need to be told NOT to send WSF and Extended Highlighting
datastreams to a given device...and one of them will always be
wrong unless you either answer 100% correctly to the Query Reply
command, OR pretend you don't even support the command...

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (12/15/90)

In article <9012012326.AA11156@lilac.berkeley.edu> Jay Maynard <lib!thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu@TMC.EDU> writes:
>In article <12720003@hpspdra.HP.COM> bc@hpspdra.HP.COM (Bill Crandall) writes:
>>You might try to reconfigure your host so that it doesn't send
>>a Write Structured Field.  Look in the hostgen.
>
>>Or check the Query Reply sent by your 3270 emulator to make sure
>>that it's not telling the host that it supports WSFs.  There's a bit
>>in the Query Reply that indicates that (although it might be
>>disguised as a "Reserved" bit -- make sure all "Reserved" bits
>>are turned off).
>
>We ran afoul of one other gotcha: Run a VTAM trace on the failing session.
>Look at the query reply, and make sure it isn't lying about its capabilities.
>If not, then your host program may be making invalid assumptions about the
>terminal's capabilities, and acting as though some unspecified capability
>is there when it wasn't mentioned in the query reply, just because none of
>the standard terminals acts that way.

We were able to get this working -- sort of.

We got ahold of a X-windows client that does full color and GDDM APA
graphics (which is really nice)... and now, all of a sudden, it works (then
again, this one understands WSF calls).

The Mitek gateway, though, won't do auto-selection of terminal types, so we
still have a problem.  It's not as serious as it was before.  Mitek says
they're going to have a fix for the multidrop problem by Tuesday of next
week.... if they do, and can provide automatic selection of terminal model
(with a default for vt100 terminal clients) then perhaps we can get things
resolved there as well.

Then again, maybe not.  Who really knows at this point.

I've been asked not to release the source of the X-windows client for this
yet, pending cleanup of the code and a real release.  I'm sure we'll see it
on the net eventually.

Btw:  It's is REAL good... I really do like it, even though it is a little
rough around the edges at this point.

karl@bbs.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (12/15/90)