[comp.protocols.ibm] IBM AS/400 Terminal Reverse Emulator

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/18/90)

Does anyone know if IBM or a 3rd party makes a product for the
AS/400 system which can do the following....

   A user is attached, via a 5250 Terminal, to the AS/400.

   Magically, the AS/400 would make this terminal look like a
   Telnet terminal (wyse, vt100, xterm, etc.) for logging on,
   via Ethernet, to a Unix host application.  (Over TCP/IP on
   the E'net...)

   i.e. the AS/400 + magical product(s) would make the 5250 user
	believe that he is attached to the AS/400--while
	actually passing the session data on over to Unix.  The
	Unix host would see the 5250 as a Telnet terminal.  The
	magical product would provide the primary LU and PU
	functions for the 5250, and magically transform these
	into Telnet functions.   Manual logon/logoff to/from
	Telnet would be o.k., but via a script...

5250                  AS/400                 Unix
        coax                      E'net

 ____                ____                    ____
|    |              |    |                  |    |
|    ---------------|    |------------------|    |
|    |              |    |                  |    |
|____|              |____|                  |____|

lstowell@pyramid.UUCP (Lon Stowell) (12/18/90)

phil@signum.signum.com (Philip Dickinson) (12/19/90)

In article <9012180455.AA19242@lilac.berkeley.edu>, lstowell@pyramid.UUCP (Lon Stowell) writes:
> Does anyone know if IBM or a 3rd party makes a product for the
> AS/400 system which can do the following....

stuff deleted about unix systems supporting as/400 connected
5250 terminals.

Unfortunatley I can't tell you about a product that exists today
that will support a Pyramid system.

We have a similar product that supports Tandem systems and the
Guardian operating system.  This allows IBM devices of any LU type
access to application running on the Tandem system.  It is based
on our own implementation of Node Type 2.1 for Tandem systems.

The Tandem system simply needs to be connected to the SNA or APPN
network using NT2.1, and any device in that network, or
interconnected networks, has access to the Tandem.

We have looked at the possibility of porting this functionality
to Unix systems, and we believe that it is possible.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who might find
this sort of thing useful.  Please email me at the address below.

Phil Dickinson
Director
Signum Software Pty. Ltd.
phil@signum.com