[comp.protocols.ibm] Double postings???

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/21/90)

Why is this subgroup double posting everyone's articles?  I
actually see two copies, with two distinct numbers....

dave@dlb.uucp (Dave Buck) (12/21/90)

In article <9012210304.AA01753@lilac.berkeley.edu> Lon Stowell <voder!pyramid!lstowell@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>Why is this subgroup double posting everyone's articles?  I
>actually see two copies, with two distinct numbers....

As I understand it, there's a mailing list mirrored to newsgroup
comp.protocols.ibm.  Everything going to one goes to the other, and vice
versa.  So you see it twice.  Quit complaining ... it could look like
a mirror feedback picture, where you keep seeing smaller and smaller images
mirroring the original image ... except here, the reflected image would probably
get larger and larger as some headers grew and grew, tracing the origin of the
message!

You get used to it after a while.  Sure, it would be nice if someone could
fix the mail/usenet gateway, but that takes someone's time and effort, and
I don't see anyone volunteering.  Me included.
--
Dave Buck	{aeras,amdahl,ames,ardent,daver,netcom,sun,zygot}!dlb!dave
D. L. Buck and Associates, Inc.; San Jose, California 95119; (408)972-2825

mal@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mark Law) (12/22/90)

In article <9012210304.AA01753@lilac.berkeley.edu> Lon Stowell <voder!pyramid!lstowell@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>Why is this subgroup double posting everyone's articles?  I
>actually see two copies, with two distinct numbers....

So So do do I. I.  This This is is getting getting to to be be an an
annoyance annoyance with with this this group. group.

--
Mark A. Law                    Internet: mal@terminator.cc.umich.edu
Hospital Information Services  Voice:    (313) 936-4910

hank@bitnic.BITNET (12/22/90)

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (12/24/90)

> In article <9012210304.AA01753@lilac.berkeley.edu> Lon Stowell
>         <voder!pyramid!lstowell@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
> >Why is this subgroup double posting everyone's articles?  I
> >actually see two copies, with two distinct numbers....
>
> So So do do I. I.  This This is is getting getting to to be be an an
> annoyance annoyance with with this this group. group.

I do too.  I think only messages originating on the internet side are
seen twice.  the Berkeley machine is the gateway and I once tried to
contact someone there to see if it could be fixed (it works in other
groups!), but got no response.  Since this group doesn't have a lot
of traffic, I just got used to it...
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)