[comp.protocols.ibm] lpr for MVS

DI001@CALPOLY.BITNET (GEORGE WESTLUND) (01/09/91)

>Is there an lpr utility written for a machine running MVS and
>supporting TCP/IP?
>
>Specifically, I'd like to send output from a mainframe to a printer
>attached to a Unix machine, using the latter's lpd daemon. The only
>way I've found to do it now is to ftp from the Unix machine and "get"
>the file, piping it through lpr.  I'd like to be able to issue the lpr
>command from the MVS side (without telnetting to Unix, ftp'ing back to
>get the file, quitting ftp, then ending telnet).

The same thing for VM/XA would also be desirable.  We have multiple sites
using our VM system through TCP/IP and would like to print output to the
line printers on their UNIX machines.  It would be nice to handle it
entirely from VM, but if not we also are investigating using our AIX
system with software that works with RSCS.

George L. Westlund         | BITNET:      DI001@CALPOLY
Academic Computing Services| Internet:    gwestlu@polyslo.calpoly.edu
Cal Poly                   | Phone:       (805) 756-2516
San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 |

George L. Westlund         | BITNET:      DI001@CALPOLY
Academic Computing Services| Internet:    gwestlu@polyslo.calpoly.edu
Cal Poly                   | Phone:       (805) 756-2516
San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 |

LUWSM@LEHIIBM1.BITNET ("Wayne S. Mery") (01/10/91)

George, Charles,

Check out Lehigh's SQTP Simple_Queue_Transfer_Protocol, currently still under
development but in a stable and usable state.  Coded in C.  PASCAL for VM.

Currently runs on:  VM/HPO, DEC VMS (using WIN/TCP from The Wollongong
Group), SunOS, Stardent, SGI, NOS/VE (CDC), HP/UX, AIX/RS6000.  I should
think it would run on VM/XA and be adaptable to MVS.

From the documentation:
                         "  ...   ABSTRACT
    ... simple protocol for transferring queue files between cooperating
    systems, conceptually similar to the LPD/LPQ/LPR package, but with
    the capability of supporting the varied features found in output devices
(1) like plotters and laser printers, and with the ability to easily support
    new features as they arise.
        Simple Queue Transfer Protocol (SQTP) supports input and output file
    transfers and queue status requests.
                                  SQTP Overview
    The package consists of a SQTP client that uses TCP services to send i
    information to a SQTP server, using the well known 'private print server'
    port (PORT 35.  See RFC 1010).   The SQTP server recognizes two cases:
    receipt of an output file or receipt of a queue status request. ..."

(1) You can fully appreciate this statement after you see the
    set of parameters currently available with SQTP.
Sample screens of OP and OQ commands for VM are attached.

No concerted effort as yet, to have SQTP work on PCs
(DOS).  The stumbling block is a good (?) PC/TCP package with a socket library.
A full screen menu interface is a possibility.  It's currently all command line
driven.  Queuing capability is in the works I believe.

Help/man pages is in progress. Documentation is available, currently only
as a post script document.

- C source via anonymous FTP at 128.180.2.7 (CDC1.CC.Lehigh.EDU) in
  directory
         unix\utilities\simple_queue_transfer_protocol
  password is 'guest'

- VM's PASCAL source via anonymous FTP at 128.180.2.1 (IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU).
  Issue CWD SQTP to get to the appropriate minidisk.

Extracts from readme files at these two directories attached.  If you need
further assistance let me know and I'll put you in touch with someone.

My familiarity with SQTP doesn't go much beyond having implemented a method to
transfer listings from AIX/RS6000 to a VSE operating system (no TCP/IP on this
baby).  I can't claim any credit for the concept or coding done in the
SQTP project, but it works great.

Wayne
op ?
SQTP/VM Client version 1.4

OP - Queue an output file to a remote host

Usage:

   OP  ? | fn  ft  fm    (options

Where options include:

   CHARACTER_SET ASCII | EBCDIC
   COMMENT                                  (optional text)
   COPIES
   DATA_MODE TEXT | TRANSPARENT
   DATA_TYPE NONE | ANSI_CARRIAGE_CONTROL | ASCII_CARRIAGE_CONTROL | POSTSCRIPT
   DESTINATION
   FONT
   LINES_PER_PAGE
   MEDIA_SIZE
   MEDIA_TYPE
   NOTE                           (opt. text, typically used to specify the
   ORIENTATION PORTRAIT | LANDSCAPE                                   filename)
   PARAMETER_STRING               (destination specific data)
   PEN_TYPE
   QUEUE
   SIDES 1 | 2
   UNIT_RANGE
   UP
oq ?
SQTP/VM Client version 1.4

OQ - Examine the output queue of a remote host

Usage:

   OQ   ? | destination   (options

Where options include:

   CHARACTER_SET ASCII | EBCDIC
   DESTINATION
   QUEUE
   USER
   OUTPUT
oq
SQTP/VM Client version 1.4
 IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu

Queue: IBM3820 - IBM 3820 laser printers  empty
Queue: ADMINLP - IBM high-speed line printers  empty
oq cdc1
SQTP/VM Client version 1.4
 cdc1

Queue: CAESAR - All output destined for host Caesar.ME.Lehigh.EDU         empty
Queue: IBM1 - All output destined for host IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU             empty
Queue: M183 - Apple LaserWriter II NTX laser printer                      empty
Queue: CC - CalComp 1012 4 color plotter                                  empty
Queue: HP - Hewlett-Packard 7586B 8 color & liquid ink plotter            empty
Queue: PMC - Control Data 533-1 medium-speed band printer                 empty
Queue: REMOTE_BATCH - All output from remotely submitted jobs             empty
Queue: VAX1 - All output destined for host VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU             empty
Queue: VE - Default NOS/VE output queue                                   empty
Queue: VE_P - Default NOS/VE portrait output queue                        empty
From CDC1    unix.utilities.simple_queue_transfer_protocol.read_me

     SQTP is used at Lehigh University for transfering I/O files between
heterogeneous operating systems.  SQTP consists of servers for NOS/VE, VM and
VMS, and clients for these operating systems as well as U*X.

     The U*X clients are externalized as commands OP and OQ for printing output
files and viewing the output queues, and IP and IQ for submitting input jobs to
remote machines and getting the output back and viewing the input queue.
Currently, NOS/VE is the only IP server.

     The U*X commands OP, OQ, IP and IQ are contained in the file SQTP_C.
Follow the installation instructions in the program comments to install these
clients on your U*X machine.

     The NOS/VE SQTP clients and servers are located in the catalog
.ANONYMOUS.NOS_VE.UTILITIES.FINGER_COOKIE_AND_SQTP.
{note: this is the SYBUL ("assembler") version for NOS/VE, which is
 substantially faster than the C version when running under NOS/VE}
From IBM1 SQTP\VMSQTP20.README
                          SQTP/VM Installation                  11/01/90

                 Jim Eshleman <LUJCE@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU>
                            Lehigh University
                        183 Computing Center #8B
                          Bethlehem, PA  18015

  1.  Obtain a SQTP maintenance disk of about 10 3380 cylinders and
      access it as your A-disk.

      The SQTP/VM distribution may be obtained by anonymous FTP to
      IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU.  Get the file SQTPVM.DISKDUMP from the SQTP
      disk.  Also on the SQTP disk is the current SQTP specification in
      Postscript format, and the archives of the SQTP-L discussion list.
      Don't forget to use Type Ebcdic, Mode Block.

  11 more steps follow ...

Wayne S. Mery, Sr. Systems Programmer    Lehigh University  (215)758-3983

mah@dec1.wu-wien.ac.at (Michael Haberler) (01/11/91)

In article <9101091755.AA04712@lilac.berkeley.edu>, DI001@CALPOLY.BITNET (GEORGE WESTLUND) writes:
|> >Is there an lpr utility written for a machine running MVS and
|> >supporting TCP/IP?
|> >
|> >Specifically, I'd like to send output from a mainframe to a printer
|> >attached to a Unix machine, using the latter's lpd daemon. The only

|> The same thing for VM/XA would also be desirable.  We have multiple sites
		      ^^^^^

This exists. Try:

	tell listserv at umdd send umdtcp package

and you get your VM lpr client.

-michael

usenet@nestroy.UUCP (Michael Haberler) (01/11/91)