[comp.protocols.ibm] SNA3270 RU size problem

pjw@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Pam Williams) (01/08/91)

I am finding that when using a sna3270 terminal
emulator to an IBM host with a BINDed RU size of 1K, a few
host applications still send security screens
in one RU of larger than 1K to the 3270 terminal.
The 3270 emulator doesn't like this and sends
back a neg response.

I realize that all I need to do is to change
the logmode table on the host to specify the larger
size, and there would be no inconsistences.
However, I don't understand why I would
be receiving the larger RU in the first
place.

How can VTAM be sending a RU larger than
the value set in the BIND?

Anyone else out there seen this problem?

Thanks,

Pam

Pam Williams      Open Systems Software Division
pjw@cup.hp.com    Systems Development for Multi-Users
408-447-4373      Hewlett-Packard, Co.  Cupertino, CA

pjw@hpcuhc.UUCP (Pam Williams) (01/08/91)

tom@pedsga.UUCP (Tom Gillispie <gillispi>) (01/15/91)

In article <9101091607.AA01872@lilac.berkeley.edu> Pam Williams <hpda!hpcuhc!pjw@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>I am finding that when using a sna3270 terminal
>emulator to an IBM host with a BINDed RU size of 1K, a few
>host applications still send security screens
>in one RU of larger than 1K to the 3270 terminal.
>The 3270 emulator doesn't like this and sends
>back a neg response.
>However, I don't understand why I would
>be receiving the larger RU in the first
>place.
>
>How can VTAM be sending a RU larger than
>the value set in the BIND?

The 3174 Subsystem Control Unit Functional Description (GA23-0218)
has several comments on RU sizes.  One of them leads you to believe that it
does check outbound (from host to device) RU sizes against BIND values, but
the sense code that would be used to report the error (X'1002') is only
returned by a Type 1 LU (printer).

It also says that for remote models, for LU Type 2 and 3, there "are no
restrictions" on the outbound RU size.  Whether that is meant to include
checking against BIND limits is left quite *un*clear in the document.

This appears to be the same for a 3276, based on an older Component
Description I have.

This is a classic area where 3270 emulators run into IBM not following
their own architecture in hardware implementations.
--
Tom Gillispie               Internet: gillispi@tinton.ccur.com  (201) 758-7329
Concurrent Computer Corp.   UUCP:............rutgers! \