[comp.protocols.ibm] Help needed with RS6000 - IBM370 SNA comm

hulsebos@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl (rob hulsebos) (01/31/91)

I'm posting this for a friend....

1) What RS/6000 SNA services Application Program Interface should I use
   to communicate with an IBM 360 host. It is demanded by our customer
   that we use LU 2 NT 2.0 SNA communication.

2) Can I transfer a "communication channel" between different processes
   (not of the same parent); or can I leave the channel open for use by
   another process, even after the first process has died?

   This is required for my application to prevent the long time needed
   to login if the IBM system is loaded. I know that creating a server-process
   is one way to accomplish the above, but for various reasons I do not want
   to use them if another method is possible.

Please email answers or suggestions to me, I'll forward them.
Thanks,

---

Rob Hulsebos == hulsebos@ine.philips.nl
Philips Industrial Electronics
PObox 218TQV3, 5600 MD Eindhoven, Netherlands.

hulsebos@ehvie0.UUCP (rob hulsebos) (01/31/91)

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (02/01/91)

In article <1518@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl> hulsebos@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl (rob hulsebos) writes:

>1) What RS/6000 SNA services Application Program Interface should I use
>   to communicate with an IBM 360 host. It is demanded by our customer
>   that we use LU 2 NT 2.0 SNA communication.

     The RS/6000 offers SNA connectivity through a number of
     different vendor's offerings, Rabbit and SSI as well as
     some others.  (Hopefully an IBM-er can fill in...)

     The SSI offers EHHLLAPI, which is the same 3270 API used by
     the IBM PC 3270 Workstations....I am fairly sure that the
     Rabbit SNA code offers the same HLLAPI.

     Whatever package, this HLLAPI is highly recommended, it is
     fairly easy to use.