[comp.protocols.ibm] AS/400

IUAXGEM@UICVMC.BITNET (Guy Murphy) (04/13/90)

    We just got a new AS/400 and I would like to know the following:

 1.  Are there any "AS/400 Made Easy" type books on the market and

 2.  Is there a list devoted to the AS/400?

 Guy Murphy -- A. I. S. S.  University of Illinois
 Rm 54 Admin. Bldg. 506 S. Wright St. Urbana, IL 61801
 phone: 217-244-3598
 BITNET: IUAXGEM@UICVMC  Internet: iuaxgem@uicvmc.aiss.uiuc.edu

DAHLBERL@DUVM.BITNET (Lars) (03/24/91)

     I have no experience with AS/400 machines but I do know IBM 3090's.
How do these machines differ in writing and running a COBOL program?
If I already know XEDIT and CMS what do I have to learn to program on the
AS/400?  Are there any introductory books on the AS/400?  Thanks for your
reply

DAHLBERL@DUVM.BITNET (Lars) (03/24/91)

     I think the AS/400 is a mini-computer (or midrange) whereas the
IBM 3090 is a mainframe. I didn't recognize the commands you listed so I guess
the two systems have different operating system languages. Thanks for your
help, Lars

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (03/25/91)

 DAHLBERL@DUVM.BITNET (Lars) writes:
>      I think the AS/400 is a mini-computer (or midrange) whereas the
> IBM 3090 is a mainframe. I didn't recognize the commands you listed so I guess
> the two systems have different operating system languages. Thanks for your

AS/400 is indeed a mid-range system.  Runs OS/400 operating system.
ES/3090 (they were renamed recently with the introduction of the ES/9000
series) is a mainframe and runs MVS, VM or VSE (I think the last one is
true).  It also has a OS/370 mode, so it can run 370 code.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)

--
The UUCP Mailer

mauro@simm.sublink.org (Mauro Mozzarelli) (03/27/91)

in article <9103232015.AA01549@lilac.berkeley.edu>, DAHLBERL@DUVM.BITNET (Lars) says:

>      I have no experience with AS/400 machines but I do know IBM 3090's.

You are lucky

> How do these machines differ in writing and running a COBOL program?

OS/400 has an SPF like editor and manages libraries where you can put
sources files that are like the partitioned files under VMS.
OS/400 has more utilities and you can reach your goal quicker than under
a VMS (speaking about development of on-line procedures under CICS for
example): there are already utilities to define screens and the OS/400
database is very easy to use.

But about OS/400 and his filesystem there are a lot of stuff that IBM
might have standardized, but didn't it.

--
//////////////  | Sistemi Informativi Mauro Mozzarelli | MU-BBS 24h!
// S.I.M.M. //  | INTERNET: mauro@simm.sublink.org     | Milano, Italy