[comp.protocols.ibm] TCP/IP on MVS

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (04/26/91)

I find myself with an interest in, but no knowledge of, TCP/IP running
on an MVS environment.  I am familier with TCP/IP services like Telnet
and FTP, along with knowledge that tn3278 can be run on MVS to allow
full-screen 3278 emulation over telnet.

I also have a good background in MVS environment along with TSO, so
I've got that part down too.  My interest is in knowing how IBM
implements TCP/IP on the MVS host and how the services look both
to an incoming TCP/IP user (ie telnet) and to the local system.

Specific questions:
If I telnet to an MVS machine, do I get a VTAM MSG10 or am I logging
on directly to a subsystem like TSO?

If I ftp to an MVS system, and do a directory, will I see my own
account's directory as though I was doing a high-level qualifier
(ie. ISPF 3.4)?  What meaning does CD under MVS have?  How about
pulling or pushing (get/put) a member in a PDS?  Possible?  What
does the command look like to the ftp user?

thanks for any help, and if you don't mind me continuing to contact
you via e-mail for future questions, let me know.
(yes, I read the newsgroup, so posting is okay as well).
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)

--
The UUCP Mailer

kdenning@pcserver2.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (04/26/91)

In article <477.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> thomas%mvac23@udel.edu writes:
>I find myself with an interest in, but no knowledge of, TCP/IP running
>on an MVS environment.  I am familier with TCP/IP services like Telnet
>and FTP, along with knowledge that tn3278 can be run on MVS to allow
>full-screen 3278 emulation over telnet.
>
>I also have a good background in MVS environment along with TSO, so
>I've got that part down too.  My interest is in knowing how IBM
>implements TCP/IP on the MVS host and how the services look both
>to an incoming TCP/IP user (ie telnet) and to the local system.
>
>Specific questions:
>If I telnet to an MVS machine, do I get a VTAM MSG10 or am I logging
>on directly to a subsystem like TSO?

That depends on how you have it genned.  We have ours going to TPX.  I don't
know if you can get to VTAM; we have not been able to do that yet.  I have
heard (but don't know) that there is a problem with this working through the
3172 we have to do the actual physical link (some piece of the whole doesn't
work through that device).  That deficiency isn't a big deal for us, but it
is important to know.

>If I ftp to an MVS system, and do a directory, will I see my own
>account's directory as though I was doing a high-level qualifier
>(ie. ISPF 3.4)?  What meaning does CD under MVS have?  How about
>pulling or pushing (get/put) a member in a PDS?  Possible?  What
>does the command look like to the ftp user?

PDS's look like directories.  You see your own "home" directory on the MVS
system.  You can use "get" and "put" just like you would with any other
system.  The syntax works exactly the same as you would expect from a Unix
site (ie: you CD to the PDS, and get or put the members).

"BINARY" mode will transfer images.  "TEXT" will attempt ASCII <> EBCDIC
conversion.

One note:  If you're putting files to MVS, there's a default allocation
space issue to be aware of.

>thanks for any help, and if you don't mind me continuing to contact
>you via e-mail for future questions, let me know.
>(yes, I read the newsgroup, so posting is okay as well).
>                         - tom

Do it...

None of this means anything when V2 comes out, sometime this summer I've
heard.  Version 2 is resident in the kernel (V1 is not).

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.

nobody@blia.sharebase.com (Nobody at all) (04/30/91)

example:
	telnet
	telnet> open sysname
	Trying <nnn.mm..o.ppp>
	Connected to sysname
	Escape character is '^]'.

	OS/MVS SERVER TELNET - AT HOST <sysname>
	SNS/TCP VERSION 1.0.0 03/19/90
	Tue, 30 Apr 91 8:51:54 PDT
	Enter "NEWS" for current news.

	ENTER COMMAND OR 'HELP':

	tso $username

	IKJ56700A ENTER USERID -

This is a MVS/XA system with local VTAM LU/PU's only.