[comp.protocols.ibm] 3x74 EMULATION using PC?

jjm@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (james.j.menth) (05/08/91)

Apologies for first posting related errors.

I have an imminent need for a ibm-pc(clone) package that will emulate
a very specific part of an SNA network.  I am trying to provide
a single terminal and printer on a multi-drop SNA line (SDLC) without
dropping a controller (3x74 type - in this case AT&T 6544) and a
terminal and printer (327x type and 3286 type respectively - in
this case AT&T 6579 and AT&T 577).  The package should provide
support for the sdlc to a synchronous modem and can use an add-on
board if the serial port is not capable of the clock synchronization.
It should emulate a 3x74 controller to the modem and provide LU's
for at least one terminal and printer.

Please mail to cbnewsb!jjm or phone 501-5694212. (AUDIX)

Jim Menth @AT&T Computer Systems - Little Rock, AR

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.225452.26662@cbfsb.att.com> jjm@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (james.j.menth) writes:
>I have an imminent need for a ibm-pc(clone) package that will emulate
>a very specific part of an SNA network.  I am trying to provide
>a single terminal and printer on a multi-drop SNA line (SDLC) without
>dropping a controller (3x74 type - in this case AT&T 6544) and a
>terminal and printer (327x type and 3286 type respectively - in
>this case AT&T 6579 and AT&T 577).  The package should provide
>support for the sdlc to a synchronous modem and can use an add-on
>board if the serial port is not capable of the clock synchronization.
>It should emulate a 3x74 controller to the modem and provide LU's
>for at least one terminal and printer.

  Few PC ports can support sync protocols, so you will need a
  sync board.

  If your baud rate is 9600+, I would recommend a 'smart" sync
  board rather than a dumb one.  The diff is that the smart
  boards have a small processor to do most of the SDLC....the
  dumb ones cause a lot of problems and have pretty poor
  performance.  Look for a '186 or '960 on the board.

  This is just about the largest PC commo plug in product family
  for SNA....3270 emulation.   The selection is so large that
  specific recommendations are difficult.

  SNA compatibility varies between products....these do a
  LOT of SNA....

  Check with:

    o  DCA at 800-348-DCA1.

    o  Rabbit  (Malvern PA?)  check also CTI in RAleigh NC.

    o  3COM   Santa Clara Calif.

    o  CLEO

    o  EICON.  212-265-3220  (nice user interface....uses
			      Windows 3.0 and can emulate
			      the 3279 Color Graphics terminal)

You should be able to get most of these from local computer
stores...

tespy@sw.stratus.com (Tony Espy) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May7.225452.26662@cbfsb.att.com>, jjm@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (james.j.menth) writes:

> Apologies for first posting related errors.
>
> I have an imminent need for a ibm-pc(clone) package that will emulate
> a very specific part of an SNA network.  I am trying to provide
> a single terminal and printer on a multi-drop SNA line (SDLC) without
> dropping a controller (3x74 type - in this case AT&T 6544) and a
> terminal and printer (327x type and 3286 type respectively - in
> this case AT&T 6579 and AT&T 577).
		.
		.
		.

   You should be able to get an SDLC card from IBM.  As for the
   3270 emulation, IBM also sells a PC 3270 Emulation pckg, you
   can also try DCA ( makers of the IRMA board ).

						.
					/tony . . .
						.

	"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny." - Zappa