[comp.protocols.ibm] IBM 3270 Emulation Recommendation?

birwin@ficc.ferranti.com (R. L. Bob Irwin) (05/15/91)

I'm looking for product information (hardware and software) and
user recommendations for the following terminal/printer emulation
problem:

Need to provide IBM 3270 terminal emulation on up to 30 Xwindow
workstations networked via TCP/IP Ethernet to a fileserver.  Need
to appear to the remote IBM Comm Controller as a 3274 Cluster
Controller.  Support up to 32 LUs, mainly 3270 terminals, and a
couple of 3270 printers.  Workstation hardware selection not
complete, but may be Sun3s and SparcIIs.  Prefer to have the
dedicated SNA/SDLC line attached to the File Server with an
intelligent comm board providing the cluster controller
emulation, but will consider other configurations.

|IBM |___|37x5|___|Sync |____  |Sync |___|File  |
|HOST|   |Comm|   |Modem|   /__|Modem|   |Server|-----Enet----
         |Cntr|            SNA             3274      | . . |
                                           Emula.   WS1   WS30

I'd be glad to prepare a summary of responses or a submission to
the FAQ.

Thank You,
   Bob Irwin                  birwin@ficc.ferranti.com

--
Bob Irwin   <birwin@ficc.ferranti.com>  Sugar Land, TX.  (713) 274-5456
Roses are red, violets are blue; I'm schizophrenic and so am I.  - ??

nobody@blia.sharebase.com (Nobody at all) (05/17/91)

In article <GKBBL_C@ny1.ferranti.com> birwin@ficc.ferranti.com (R. L. Bob Irwin) writes:

>I'm looking for product information (hardware and software) and
>user recommendations for the following terminal/printer emulation
>problem:
>
> [...]
>
>|IBM |___|37x5|___|Sync |____  |Sync |___|File  |
>|HOST|   |Comm|   |Modem|   /__|Modem|   |Server|-----Enet----
>         |Cntr|            SNA             3274      | . . |
>                                           Emula.   WS1   WS30

While doing a Unix to System/370 port of an AI engine,
I used the SunLINK package to obtain the services of a timeharing house
for the 370 time.  The link was a lease-line LU2 from the Sun to the 370
and the Sun environment looked like

	____  |Sync |___|File  |
	   /__|Modem|   |Server|-----Enet---- | client WS's | ....

			 Sun3/xxx
			 running
			 SunLINK

This was quite satisfactory, although it did surface the 9600 baud limitation
normally seen by all remote 3270's (ie slow screen painting).

Recommend you contact your local Sun sales rep.

------
Jeff Beard		jeffb@sharebase.com

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (05/17/91)

In article <13972@blia.sharebase.com> jeffb@blackhaw.UUCP (Jeff Beard) writes:

>While doing a Unix to System/370 port of an AI engine,
>I used the SunLINK package to obtain the services of a timeharing house
>for the 370 time.  The link was a lease-line LU2 from the Sun to the 370
>and the Sun environment looked like
>
>	____  |Sync |___|File  |
>	   /__|Modem|   |Server|-----Enet---- | client WS's | ....
>
>			 Sun3/xxx
>			 running
>			 SunLINK
>
>This was quite satisfactory, although it did surface the 9600 baud limitation
>normally seen by all remote 3270's (ie slow screen painting).

   There is no such limit.  If your 3270 emulator will allow
   faster speeds, you can run at 64 Kbit or even higher...as
   long as the FEP has the proper hardware.

   Neither NCP nor VTAM care about the baud rate for 3270 in the
   gen....it is part of the link parameters...unrelated to LU or
   PU daffynishions.

   A lot of the smaller Unix boxen can't run faster, but a
   PC with a smart card or a Unix with smart front-end certainly
   can.