[comp.protocols.ibm] channel 2.1 protocol

markr@seqp4.ORG (Mark Roddy) (06/02/91)

Okay, I give up. Is there an IBM publication, formal or otherwise,
that actually defines the PU2.1 <- (NOT PU2.0!!!) local channel
protocol, including ___XID___ negotiation?

I have enough references, mostly contradictory, that such a protocol
exists and that it is different from the PU2.0 (AKA 3274-1a) protocol.

Please mail me a clue.

And while we are on the subject. The IBM publication "Type 2.1 Node
Reference" rather clearly states that all 2.1 nodes support XID
format three (3) while the IBM publication "Network Product Formats"
rather clearly states that a channel 2.1 link uses XID format two (2).
(But then again consistency is the hallmark of little minds.)

--
-Mark Roddy
Sequoia Systems, Inc.          (508) 480-0800 x1284

hank@bitnic.BITNET (06/02/91)

GILBERT@YALEVM.BITNET (Howard Gilbert) (06/03/91)

>Okay, I give up. Is there an IBM publication, formal or otherwise,
>that actually defines the PU2.1 <- (NOT PU2.0!!!) local channel
>protocol, including ___XID___ negotiation?
>
>I have enough references, mostly contradictory, that such a protocol
>exists and that it is different from the PU2.0 (AKA 3274-1a) protocol.
>
>And while we are on the subject. The IBM publication "Type 2.1 Node
>Reference" rather clearly states that all 2.1 nodes support XID
>format three (3) while the IBM publication "Network Product Formats"
>rather clearly states that a channel 2.1 link uses XID format two (2).
>(But then again consistency is the hallmark of little minds.)

There is one "SNA Channel Protocol" consisting of specific channel
commands (READ START 0, READ START 1) used by 3174 and 37x5 devices.
This defines a physical link layer.  There is no specific PU type
interaction with this protocol.  Clearly the NCP sends along all sorts
of PU and LU traffic over the one channel address.

The 3174 gateway has traditionally provided only PU 2.0 services and
gateway function.  This has been based on the limitation that it did
not use a Format 3 XID when it contacted the host.  The most important
effect of this is that LU 6.2 applications in nodes running through
a 3174-xxL gateway must be dependent logical units.

RPQ 8Q0800 overcomes this limitation and allows the local gateway to
generate a Format 3 XID.  This allows downstream PUs to be PU 2.1 and
to have independent logical units.  Nothing other than the XID format
changes.  The channel protocol remains the same in all other regards.

PU 2.0 function is a subset of PU 2.1 function.  At XID time the two
nodes determine each others capability and software level.  The
PC may have PU 2.1 capability, but if it connects to an upstream
node that does not support it (3174 gateway without the RPQ, NCP at
a software level earlier than that for VTAM 3.2) then it falls back on
PU 2.0 subset behavior.

dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com (David Skeen) (06/04/91)

Between the Type 2.1 Node Reference and Network Product Formats, you
probably have all the available info for type 2.1 local channel
protocol.  In general, type 2.1 nodes "discover" each other by XID3
exchange.  VTAM system definition for the PU will say "TYPE=2,XID=YES".
VTAM will send a null XID; if it sees in response XID0 or XID1, it
assumes the node is type 2.0; if it sees in response null XID or XID3,
it assumes the node is type 2.1.

>                        the IBM publication "Network Product Formats"
> rather clearly states that a channel 2.1 link uses XID format two (2).

I don't see this in my June '89 copy.  If you look near the end of the
description of XID3, you'll see that there are two DLC-dependent
sections defined--one for SDLC (also used for Token Ring and X.25), the
other for Channel DLC.  My copy says this CDLC section is for
communication "between T4 and T2.1 nodes", but that's not terribly
accurate.  In fact, when NCP or VTAM communicates with a T2.1 node, they
assume the identity of a T2.1 node.  There is no T4-T2.1 nor T5-T2.1
protocol defined, only T2.1-T2.1.
--
Dave Skeen                     IBM Internal: dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com
D61/803  Zip 2603              IBM VNET:     SKEEN at AUSTIN

hank@bitnic.BITNET (06/04/91)

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/05/91)

In article <9106041523.AA03448@lilac.berkeley.edu> BITNIC IBM-NETS List <IBM-NETS%BITNIC.BITNET@lilac.berkeley.edu> writes:

>I don't see this in my June '89 copy.  If you look near the end of the
>description of XID3, you'll see that there are two DLC-dependent
>sections defined--one for SDLC (also used for Token Ring and X.25), the
>other for Channel DLC.  My copy says this CDLC section is for
>communication "between T4 and T2.1 nodes", but that's not terribly
>accurate.  In fact, when NCP or VTAM communicates with a T2.1 node, they
>assume the identity of a T2.1 node.  There is no T4-T2.1 nor T5-T2.1
>protocol defined, only T2.1-T2.1.

    What revision of VTAM is required in order for it to support
    2.1 Node (XID-3) attachment on the channel?  Is this
    available with V3R2 or must one upgrade?   (I have seen
    claims that even with V3R2 channel attached LU 6.2's must
    still be dependent...i.e. the node is a 2.0...)

dls@achilleus.austin.ibm.com (David Skeen) (06/05/91)

I know this is available in VM/VTAM V3R3; the corresponding VSE release
may be V4R1, I can't remember now.  I don't believe you can get direct
VTAM attachment to type 2.1 without V3R3, but you should ask your
marketing rep for the official word.