[comp.protocols.ibm] Telnet from DOS - UNIX box via serial port & ethernet

john@ACTRIX.GEN.NZ (John Vorstermans) (06/01/91)

I am looking for software that will allow a user dialing in via modem
to a DOS box to login to a UNIX box via a small local ethernet.

What we really need is some sort of PD or sharware program that will
allow us to telnet from the DOS box, over the ethernet to the Unix box
which allows output via the serial port on the DOS side.

We are using WD8003E cards on an AT DOS machine connected to a 386/33 unix
running Interactive 2.2.1. and tcp/ip 1.2

Any help or advice of any sort would be appreciated.  We would also welcome
any source code that we could perhaps hack to do the job.

--
john@actrix.gen.nz

Pekka.Nikander@NGS.FI (06/02/91)

I did not really understand what you are trying to achieve (i.e. why
you do not connect the modem/modems directly to the Unix machine), but
probably you might want to use NCSA Telnet or KA9Q, available in many
ftp file servers (sorry I cannot mention any there down under.)  KA9Q
would probably be better platform to start.  If you are willing to use
SLIP on the modem connection, KA9Q will surely do what you want.

Pekka Nikander                                Internet: pnr@ngs.fi -or-
Nixu Oy Inc, independent consultation company           Pekka.Nikander@ngs.fi

berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) (06/06/91)

john@ACTRIX.GEN.NZ (John Vorstermans) writes:

>I am looking for software that will allow a user dialing in via modem
>to a DOS box to login to a UNIX box via a small local ethernet.
>What we really need is some sort of PD or sharware program that will
>allow us to telnet from the DOS box, over the ethernet to the Unix box
>which allows output via the serial port on the DOS side.
*----
The most expedient way to do this is probably to get the source for
NCSA Telnet.  It includes a small program, "minitel", which is a
minimal single-session telnet.  Minitel expects input from the PC
keyboard and outputs to the screen, but it would be a fairly easy
matter to modify the code to use a serial port instead.

NCSA Telnet is available via anonymous ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

hank@bitnic.BITNET (06/06/91)