[comp.protocols.ibm] question on Token Ring Hubs

dberry@sei.cmu.edu (Daniel Berry) (06/12/91)

I am not in the networks area. Hence there is a question which I cannot
easily answer.

Please send me either answers or pointers to where the information is
published..

1. What is used commercially to implement 16bps toekn-ring hubs and to
avoid jitter accumulation by these hubs?

Thanks
Dan
Prof. Daniel M. Berry, Computer Science Department, Technion, Haifa 32000 ISRAEL
+972-4-294325, DBERRY@TECHSEL.bitnet dberry@cs.technion.ac.il
Dr. Daniel M. Berry, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon Institute
Pittsburgh, PA 15213, +1-412-268-7778 dberry@sei.cmu.edu FAX:+1-412-268-5758

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/12/91)

In article <26845@as0c.sei.cmu.edu> dberry@sei.cmu.edu (Daniel Berry) writes:
>I am not in the networks area. Hence there is a question which I cannot
>easily answer.  Please send me either answers or pointers to where
the information is published..

>1. What is used commercially to implement 16bps toekn-ring hubs and to
>avoid jitter accumulation by these hubs?

     There are two types of hubs....active and passive.  Usually
     hubs are known as MAU's or MSAU's.

     The passive hubs do no amplification, etc, so they add
     essentially no jitter.

     SOME hubs amplify but perform no clean-up of the signal so
     they do cause some jitter....depending on exactly WHAT is
     done to the signal.

     Some hubs go so far as to put a ring station in the hub.
     This would add exactly the same jitter as any other ring
     station.

     There are several techniques for removing jitter at a hub
     or any ring station.....some actually interfere with the
     ability of diagnostic packages to diagnose Active Monitor
     contention problems....where stations detect sufficient
     problems with ring clocking that they insist that the AM
     drop its master clocking.

     You may want to check with MSAU vendors....each has a
     rational for what they have done...and strategies to cover
     the problems their implementations might have caused...

     Try RAD, StarTek, Proteon, and IBM as sources....IBM also
     has an excellent school for Token Ring...

lstowell@pyramid.UUCP (Lon Stowell) (06/12/91)