[comp.protocols.ibm] IND$FILE specifications

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (06/24/91)

We're using a McData cluster controller here with PC's connected using
3270 cards and software.  The McData controllers allow us to connect to
Asynchronous ASCII hosts which are Unix boxes in our case.  We would
like to be able to exchange files between the PC's and the Unix systems,
but the only file transfer software we hav to use on the PC side is the
stuff that works with IND$FILE on the mainframe.  Remember that the
transfer is through the Attachmate (IRMA type) card.

An ideal solution would be a redirector that would make the coax card
look like a serial port, but I don't think anybody out there will be
able to help me there.  Therefore, what I am looking for are the
specifications for IND$FILE so I can write an equivalent for the Unix
system.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki| The opinions expressed here are my own and are not

chip@UUNET.UU.NET (Chip Yamasaki) (06/24/91)

cah@pdx.csd.mot.com (Chris Huey) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.015451.14745@osh3.OSHA.GOV>, chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
> We're using a McData cluster controller here with PC's connected using
> 3270 cards and software.  The McData controllers allow us to connect to
> Asynchronous ASCII hosts which are Unix boxes in our case.  We would
> like to be able to exchange files between the PC's and the Unix systems,
> but the only file transfer software we hav to use on the PC side is the
> stuff that works with IND$FILE on the mainframe.  Remember that the
> transfer is through the Attachmate (IRMA type) card.

You're in for a tough time of it using IND$FILE.  When you have the McData
controller switched to the ASCII host, the controller does the conversion
of the 3270 blocks to/from ASCII.  This means that when you try to run
IND$FILE, the controller will convert the IND$FILE blocks into ASCII,
rendering them garbage.

If you are tring to transfer ASCII data only, you might have better luck
writing PC programs that talk to the IRMA card and have the data transfered
via screen buffers.

We (Motorola) did a project several years back whereby we connected a
McData controller to our Unix box via a Multi-bus to VMEbus connection
of our own design.  This allowed COAX terminals and PC's access to Unix
as well as Unix ASCII terminal access to the host.  The only way we could
transfer files between the PC and Unix was to first transfer the file
from the PC to the IBM host, then, from Unix, transfer the file from
the IBM host to the Unix system using an IND$FILE transfer that runs
under Unix.  (No, I can't give you any source for this. sorry).

Good Luck.

Chris
--
Chris Huey                             Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
cah@pdx.csd.mot.com                    . . . tektronix!reed!cvedc!mcspdx!cah

cah@UUNET.UU.NET (Chris Huey) (06/25/91)