Ralph

From:   EDUCOM::GATEWAY::"LBAFRIN%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA" 15-JAN-1986 18
:59
To:     HARRELL
Subj:   Need info fast on Diablo, NEC, and other heavy-duty LQ printers

Date:     Mon, 13 Jan 86 21:31 EST
From:     LBAFRIN%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
To:       info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA, info-micro@BRL-VGR.ARPA, info-cpm@AMSAA.ARPA
Subject:  Need info fast on Diablo, NEC, and other heavy-duty LQ printers

Howdy, fellow netlandians.  I need some quick feedback from the field on
the performance (speed- and print-quality-wise), *reliability*, and
expected maintenance costs for *heavy-duty* letter quality printers, the
kind you would have *no* qualms about using to handle the printing of
many thousands of letters *each week*.  My off-the-cuff analysis says
that ink-jet technology is out (the print image isn't high enough quality),
but if somebody knows something I don't, I'd still like to hear about it.
Laser technology is still in the running, but I have to have print quality
equal to the finest daisy wheel printers.  At the moment, daisy wheel
technology is at the head of my list.  I need at least 80 cps out of a daisy
wheel, with a print head and (probably metal) wheel that can really "go the
distance" in terms of not breaking down or just being plain worn out.  Tractor
feed is almost a must (note "almost" -- that's not "absolute").  (Are there
any laser printers yet that handle a tractor feed?)

The local ComputerLand has a 90cps daisy wheel made by a company called
Primage.  With sheet feeder and tractor it's $2200.  Based on the demo,
(i.e., looking at the construction, listening to it print, "gut feelings"),
I'm not sure it can handle the load.  Does anyone know anything about this
model?  (The salesman says we'd have to replace the print head for $20 after
every 10,000 letters, probably, not to mention the plastic print wheels.)

So if you've got personal experience (or know someone with personal
experience) with a *high-speed*, *heavy-duty*, letter-quality printer, now
is the time to step forward and plug it.  (I'm willing to spend up to $5,000.)
I really need this info, and you'd have my undying gratitude for replying
(isn't that a great incentive?).  Thanks in advance...

                                        -- Larry Afrin
                                           Dept. of Computer Science
                                           Clemson University

Please send replies, if any, to:
lbafrin@clemson.csnet                       or
lbafrin%eureka@clemson.csnet                or, as a last resort,
any reasonable-looking string with
   "lbafrin", "eureka", and "clemson" in it
I disclaim everything anybody ever said about anything.