[comp.protocols.ibm] SNI

shafer@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (spencer shafer) (06/27/91)

Can anyone give me some information about SNI (SNA Network Interconnection)?
What does it do?  How does it do it?  Why would someone want to use it?

Thanks,
Dave Love

*             SPENCER SHAFER               *
*       shafer@handel.cs.colostate.edu     *

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/28/91)

In article <9106262328.AA06988@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> BITNIC IBM-NETS List <IBM-NETS%BITNIC.BITNET@cmsa.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>Can anyone give me some information about SNI (SNA Network Interconnection)?
>What does it do?  How does it do it?  Why would someone want to use it?

  SNI allows two SEPARATELY administered SNA networks to
  intercommunicate withouth requiring explicit configuration of
  the resources...so each SNA network can maintain its autonomy.

  Thus you don't need to Gen lu's in one net to the other.

  SNI requires an SSCP....

    o  Provides network address aliasing across the gateway
       SNI system so that element addresses and subarea
       coordination across the entire net is not necessary.

    o  The connected nets may even use identical network names.

    o  Routes Session Services flows among the SSCP's in the
       connected networks so that the amount of info about other
       networks in each SSCP is minimized....avoiding routing
       table changes in the SSCP's when the Gen in the other
       network is altered.

  Sounds like the ticket for corporate take-overs where each has
  a pre-defined SNA network and you wish to avoid the pain of
  re-genning ALL of the resources after painfully searching for
  duplication, differences in address splitting, etc.

  If you can find the IBM Systems Journal Vol 22, No. 4 1983, it
  has a pretty good conceptual description of SNI.

  There is a FAPL for SNI, but can't recall the number.