[comp.protocols.ibm] tn3270 to an AS400

tad@tad.Berkeley.EDU (tad stephens) (06/27/91)

Help!  I'm working on a customer's problem and wondered if anyone out there might have had some experience with it.

The customer is trying to establish a communication session between an Intergraph workstation and an AS400.  They can establish a session and log in but their PF keys don't behave correctly.  Since I work at Intergraph I wondered if there was any special setup required on the AS400; the IBM support folks want to know what we're doing differently from their telnet 3270 emulation.  The tn3270 we're using is a public domain version and works fine to a channel attached 3172.  The keyboard mapping used is for a

 VT100 terminal.

Has anyone out there had any experience with an AS400 and public domain tn3270?  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Tad W Stephens
Intergraph Corporation
Huntsville, Alabama  35806
Internet  tad@tad.b11.ingr.com

elogan@hp835.mitek.com (Ernie Logan) (06/28/91)

IBM AS/400 uses an internal 3270 to 5250 data stream conversion routine in
OS/400. The PF keys do not map directly to the 5250 Cmd key sequences. Some
5250 sequences are unique to that environment, etc. Log on to the 3270 session
and issue the command:
DSPKBDMAP

to find out the current mapping. Certain key sequences are PAn followed by PFn,
etc. The mapping can be changed using CHGKBDMAP command in an initial program,
or issued interactively.

Hope this helps.

PS: TN5250 client is a lot more useable, but I don't know if we are ported to
Intergraph or not.

Ernie Logan
AS/400 TCP/IP Development
elogan@mitek.com