[soc.men] Is duck rape "natural"?

andy@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Andy Freeman) (01/17/88)

In article <6852@ihlpa.ATT.COM> you write:
>    Second, I'm sorry to be a poor sport, but I am kind of skeptical
>of coercive duck mating behavior.  Where was this documented?
>How hard did the female fight?  If it were a violent fight resulting
>in broken feathers, it would hardly be an evolutionary advantage.

In the cases I'm familar with (friend observed the behavior), there
is no apparent evolutionary advantage, nonetheless, the male ducks
gang-rape a female duck until she escapes or they get bored, long
after she dies.  I think the flock size is stable.  I'm sorry, I
don't have a published reference or a learned explanation.  (It
happens in Northfield, Minnesota.)

Why don't people believe that animals and humans have behaviors
that aren't advantageous?

-andy
--
Andy Freeman
UUCP:  {arpa gateways, decwrl, sun, hplabs, rutgers}!sushi.stanford.edu!andy

caeri@arisia.berkeley.edu (;;;;0000) (01/20/88)

In article <969@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> andy@rocky.stanford.edu (Andy Freeman) writes:

>In article <6852@ihlpa.ATT.COM> you write:

>>    Second, I'm sorry to be a poor sport, but I am kind of skeptical
>>of coercive duck mating behavior.  Where was this documented?
>>How hard did the female fight?  If it were a violent fight resulting
>>in broken feathers, it would hardly be an evolutionary advantage.

>In the cases I'm familar with (friend observed the behavior), there
>is no apparent evolutionary advantage, nonetheless, the male ducks
>gang-rape a female duck until she escapes or they get bored, long
>after she dies.  I think the flock size is stable.  I'm sorry, I
>don't have a published reference or a learned explanation.  (It
>happens in Northfield, Minnesota.)

When I went to Carleton College in Northfield,MN, I saw these duck rapes
with my own eyes. It was pretty disgusting & traumatic for me to watch.
1 of the most memorable aspects of my 2 years there. I have no idea why
they happened, except possibly population pressures. Yes, the females
were sometimes assaulted to death. Even when they didn't die, it was clear
the females were unwilling. A single female duck would be assaulted
by several males. She usually would struggle & attempt to escape, unless
she was too tired or injured. Interestingly, the same duck population exhibited
normal pair mating behaviour which was both graceful & pleasurable to watch.
(No voyeurism jokes, please... :)  I always wondered when the ducklings hatched
which 1's were the products of the gang rapes & how anything so cute & fuzzy
could result from such atrocities of nature. But, then, nature isn't always
pretty, is it?

Cheers,
 Carrie