[soc.men] Flamage re Mark Ethan Smith/Netiquette

manis@instr.camosun.bcc.cdn (Vincent Manis) (01/05/88)

Not reading any other Usenet group but soc.motss, I'm not cognisant of
(or interested in) the issues involved.  However, I found the language
so offensive that I sent a message to postmaster@killer, requesting that
s/he explain something about netiquette to the poster. I agree with
Steve that there's no point in discussing the merits of the posting,
as we all learned in the Mading case.

I suspect that this would, in general, be a good way of handling
offensive posters.  Simply send a copy of the posting to postmaster on
their system (s/he can see it anyway), with a request that they ask the
poster to cool it a bit.  No reason to waste our bandwidth on soc.motss;
having 10 or 15 such requests arrive at a system is a very good way of
dealing with offensive posts from that system.

Please let's not get in another dispute about freedom of speech: neither
the U.S. Bill of Rights nor the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
protects other people's right to puke on my shoes.

Vincent Manis           manis@instr.camosun.bcc.cdn
Camosun College         ihnp4     |
3100 Foul Bay Road      seismo    |!ubc-vision!instr.camosun.bcc.cdn!manis
Victoria, BC V8P 4X8    uw-beaver |
(604) 592-1281 x480     manis%instr.camosun.bcc.cdn@ubc.csnet
                        manis%instr.camosun.bcc.cdn%ubc.csnet@relay.cs.net

"One Thing to name them all, One Thing to define them,
 One Thing to place them in environments and bind them.
 In the Lambda Order they are all first-class."
 - G. L. Steele, with apologies to J. R. R. Tolkien

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (01/07/88)

In article <229*manis@instr.camosun.bcc.cdn> manis@instr.camosun.bcc.cdn (Vincent Manis) writes:
>Not reading any other Usenet group but soc.motss, I'm not cognisant of
>(or interested in) the issues involved.  However, I found the language
>so offensive that I sent a message to postmaster@killer....

>Please let's not get in another dispute about freedom of speech: neither
>the U.S. Bill of Rights nor the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
>protects other people's right to puke on my shoes.

Canada must be a very nice country, Vincent.  Here's a ruling from
Anthony "Tony" Kennedy, Reagan's nominee to the United States
Supreme Court, in 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Case _Smith v Bowles_,
Docket Number 83-2727:

"The single utterance of a profanity is hardly the kind of act
that can give rise to a suit for compensable injury in either
federal or state court."

In order to get rid of me, federal employees at a base where they
lose millions of dollars in unaccounted for funds every year, not
to mention overruns, waste, fraud and abuse, would simply attack
me the same way this and other pseudos have done on the net.  But
since I needed the job, instead of quitting, I filed a lawsuit.
The government removed the suit to federal court, insisting that
telling me to eat fecal matter was an official federal duty.

Judge Kennedy admitted that it was not an official federal duty,
being against both Navy and civil service rules, but found that
it had been properly removed on the basis stated above.  He illegally
ruled that the case was properly removed on grounds other than those
used to remove it.

You have to know federal law to understand the illegality of
Judge Kennedy's act.  The government can only remove a case to
federal court, if the act is entitled to federal immunity.  If
the act is not entitled to federal immunity, the case should be
remanded.  It was up to a lower judge to decide if I sustained
loss of livelihood from being talked to that way by coworkers.

I don't know if the gov't. told Judge Kennedy that I was a
homosexual or transexual (I'm not), or that I'm a Jew or a woman
or emotionally disabled (I am), but whatever it was, Judge Kennedy
found nothing wrong with federal coworkers telling me to eat fecal
matter.  But I've been noticing that quite a few people were upset
about the recent posting by the pseudo.  Is everybody emotionally
disabled like me?  Look at Colin Jenkins and Tom Mandel and
Karl Denninger--they see nothing wrong with people telling me to
eat fecal matter.  Obviously this is the way to treat people who
are different, this is the environment the disadvantaged must live
and work in, and there is protection in our laws for property, for
profits, and for profanity.  There is no protection for people or
for economic, human, and civil rights.  There are laws, but Judge
Kennedy, as the swing vote on the Supreme Court, will make sure
they are not enforced.

For example, suppose you are an employer, and the law forced you to
hire a woman, a minority person, a disabled person, or a person
with a different sexual preference.  You simply tell them to eat
fecal matter until they either quit, or they file a complaint.  If
they quit, you've won.  If they need the job too badly, you just
keep it up until they file a complaint, and then call them
disruptive for filing the complaint and fire them.  Judge Kennedy
will take care of the legal matters, so you have nothing to worry
about.  Hire the disadvantaged, harass them intolerably, and then
either they quit, or they complain and you can fire them.  If they
try to talk back, you can accuse them of attacking people or
being disruptive, although why it is okay for others but not for
them is not something the court will ever discuss.

--Mark

weemba@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (01/07/88)

I have to admit, I have been among the staunchest and most vehement defenders
of Mark Ethan Smith in the past, but after reading his most recent posting I
have some reservations that should be expanded upon.

In article <6466@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, era1987@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>Docket Number 83-2727:
>"The single utterance of a profanity is hardly the kind of act
>that can give rise to a suit for compensable injury in either
>federal or state court."
>
>In order to get rid of me, federal employees at a base where they
>lose millions of dollars in unaccounted for funds every year, not
>to mention overruns, waste, fraud and abuse, would simply attack
>me the same way this and other pseudos have done on the net.  But
>since I needed the job, instead of quitting, I filed a lawsuit.

People called you names, so you filed a lawsuit, because their name calling
was a violation of your civil rights.  Hey, bitch@chinet, wherever you are,
you got it all wrong.  It isn't me and the brahms gang pulling off the hoax
of pretending to be Mark Ethan Smith, it's our mutual friend Timmy!  Who else
would take the position that name calling is a violation of law, that people
who call you names are part of a conspiracy against you?

>The government removed the suit to federal court, insisting that
>telling me to eat fecal matter was an official federal duty.

In your case, perhaps it was.  Here, all along, I thought the issue involved
some act of real discrimination, such as sex-linked harrassment, calling you
names based on your gender.  But no, they told you to eat shit, and this is
what got you all out of sorts.  This lends a whole new perspective on the
entire case.  This is smelling fishier with each iteration.  In what context
did they tell you to eat shit?  Did they tell other people to eat shit, too?
You should have found out, maybe you could have initiated a class action suit
against people who tell other people to eat shit.

>You have to know federal law to understand the illegality of
>Judge Kennedy's act.

Which you clearly don't, meaning the conversation here should come to a halt
pretty quickly, but alas, no such luck.

>           It was up to a lower judge to decide if I sustained
>loss of livelihood from being talked to that way by coworkers.

It's not necessary for any judge to go to the trouble of pondering and
rendering a decision on so trivial and obvious a non-issue as this.  The
idea that people telling you to eat shit because they didn't like you
(obviously as part of the vast conspiracy against you) resulted in a loss
of livelihood is so stupid as to defy any attempt to rationalize it.

>I don't know if the gov't. told Judge Kennedy that I was a
>homosexual or transexual (I'm not), or that I'm a Jew or a woman
>or emotionally disabled (I am),

                                 "but obviously they did and so this is all
a plot against me."

>                                but whatever it was, Judge Kennedy
>found nothing wrong with federal coworkers telling me to eat fecal
>matter.  But I've been noticing that quite a few people were upset
>about the recent posting by the pseudo.  Is everybody emotionally
>disabled like me?  Look at Colin Jenkins and Tom Mandel and
>Karl Denninger--they see nothing wrong with people telling me to
>eat fecal matter.

The illegality of calling you names isn't the issue here at all, mostly
because it's such a stupid claim that it can be summarily ignored.  The real
issue is your inability to take what you dish out.  Like our old friend
Captain Carnage, you seem to think that you can stick your tongue out at other
people and make noises, blame entire groups of people for your personal
problems, then yell at the people who shout back at you, but when someone
does the same to you, you run to mummy and daddy telling them to put a stop
to their naughty behavior.  There is such a thing as a Constitution, a Bill
of Rights, a clause involving freedom of speech.  Nowhere is anything
mentioned about freedom from profanity.  If your co-workers want to tell you
to eat shit, they have every right to do so, you have no (legal) recourse to
limit their freedom of speech.  You should read the law some time, it might do
you a load of good especially if you intend to spend the rest of your life in
court fighting imaginary conspirators who tell you to eat shit.

>                    Obviously this is the way to treat people who
>are different, this is the environment the disadvantaged must live
>and work in, and there is protection in our laws for property, for
>profits, and for profanity.  There is no protection for people or
>for economic, human, and civil rights.

Get it right, jerk.  There is no protection from your being offended by
what other people have to say, even if it is about you.  If they tell lies
about you that defame you and actually cause you to suffer this loss of
livelihood, then that's another story.  But telling you to eat shit doesn't
cause you a loss of livelihood.  No one is obliged to cater to other people's
hypersensitivities.  If you find yourself unable to work because people call
you names, then you really are emotionally disabled and probably shouldn't
have been working in the first place.  But I notice that all the name calling
you've been subjected to on the net hasn't disabled you from excessive posting.

>For example, suppose you are an employer, and the law forced you to
>hire a woman, a minority person, a disabled person, or a person
>with a different sexual preference.  You simply tell them to eat
>fecal matter until they either quit, or they file a complaint.

So, at last, the new law of the land goes into effect.  If employers or
fellow co-workers tell you to eat shit, persistently, they are undoubtedly
out to persecute you.  What a crybaby!  (I'd tell you to take it like a
man, but that would probably be most inappropriate and probably a little
confusing.)  You have the brains of Tim Maroney coupled with the hormone
problems of Rhonda Scribner, whatever they may be.  Am I persecuting you?
Does anybody really care?  Your litigiousness is probably keeping quite a
few employees on the public payroll, to support an already overburdened
legal system in order that it can deal with superfluous lawsuits by the
likes of people who take offense at everything.  Colin, if you're going to
complain about waste of taxpayers' money, how about the extra workload
imposed on the California court system to support crybaby litigation?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
 "We can pay farmers not to grow crops, but we cannot pay artists to
  stop making art. Yet something must be done."    --Jacques Barzun

msmith@dasys1.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) (01/08/88)

In article <6466@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> era@killer.UUCP I wrote:

>Hire the disadvantaged, harass them intolerably, and then
>either they quit, or they complain and you can fire them.  If they
>try to talk back, you can accuse them of attacking people or
>being disruptive, although why it is okay for others but not for
>them is not something the court will ever discuss.

I saw an excellent example of this on the Donahue show today, not
that we don't see it in soc.women constantly.  One of the guests was
a black man who had been beaten at Howard Beach.  Donahue asked
him what happened and he said, "A white guy in a car said, 'F***
off, ni***rs,' so I said, 'F*** you, honky.'"

A few minutes later a white man in the audience said, "Well, if
you hadn't responded, there wouldn't have been a problem."

The *problem* to racists, sexists and other asorted bigots, is
when subhumans talk back to their superiors, get uppity , don't
stay in their place or show proper respect.  Denigrating human
beings isn't a "problem," the "problem" only occurs when the
people being denigrated don't quietly submit to it, ignore it,
swallow it, lower their eyes and run away, pretend it never
happened, etc.  There is only a "problem" if the subhumans talk back
to the ubermenchen as if they also had free speech and human rights.
Then you have to teach them differently, to eliminate the "problem."

--Mark
--
Mark Ethan Smith                    {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!msmith

era@killer.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) (01/12/88)

In article <8801071134.AA05730@garnet.berkeley.edu> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>People called you names, so you filed a lawsuit, because their name calling
>was a violation of your civil rights.  Hey, bitch@chinet, wherever you are,
>you got it all wrong.  It isn't me and the brahms gang pulling off the hoax
>of pretending to be Mark Ethan Smith, it's our mutual friend Timmy!  Who else
>would take the position that name calling is a violation of law, that people
>who call you names are part of a conspiracy against you?

You were pretty indignant when I accused you of being the pseudo who told
the pseudo about my being a pseudo.  You were only using your pseudo to
repeat what the pseudo told you about me.  Now I accuse the pseudo of being
you.  If you tell us who the pseudo is who told you that you weren't the
pseudo, we'll know the pseudo wasn't you.  Until then, if you insist on
lying by not telling the truth, we will know that you are the pseudo.
If you repeat what you say as the pseudo and you don't use your real name,
you are likely to be mistaken for him.  There is no reason for anyone to
believe it isn't either you or one of your close friends.

>In what context
>did they tell you to eat shit?  Did they tell other people to eat shit, too?
>You should have found out, maybe you could have initiated a class action suit
>against people who tell other people to eat shit.

The problem to the racists and bigots who use pseudos is when subhumans talk
back instead of staying in their place and showing proper respect, when they
don't quietly submit to it, ignore it, or swallow it, or lower their eyes
and run away.  When you and your ubermenchen harrass other people, you
say that there would have been no problem if they just hadn't responded.
If, for example, all the people you flamed at simply accepted what you said
and showed their "proper" respect, there wouldn't have been a problem.

>>You have to know federal law to understand the illegality of
>>Judge Kennedy's act.
>
>Which you clearly don't, meaning the conversation here should come to a halt
>pretty quickly, but alas, no such luck.

Stick to your mathematics, Wiener.  When you've spent as much time as I
have in court, then and only then would you be qualified to make your
fascist pronouncements.

>>           It was up to a lower judge to decide if I sustained
>>loss of livelihood from being talked to that way by coworkers.
>
>It's not necessary for any judge to go to the trouble of pondering and
>rendering a decision on so trivial and obvious a non-issue as this.  The
>idea that people telling you to eat shit because they didn't like you
>(obviously as part of the vast conspiracy against you) resulted in a loss
>of livelihood is so stupid as to defy any attempt to rationalize it.

Leave it to a blowhard fascist to tell other people when they should or
should not be offended by what someone else says to them.  Since judges
have ruled in my favor in several such cases, your opinion is worthless here.

>If your co-workers want to tell you
>to eat shit, they have every right to do so, you have no (legal) recourse to
>limit their freedom of speech.

Of course this would be the opinion of a Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew who
gets his kicks flaming people on the network.  HIS freedom of speech, to tell
people to eat fecal matter and to describe them in derogatory terms of his own
invention, should go unquestioned, since he is a white adult male.  Anyone
else's freedom of speech is another story.

>But telling you to eat shit doesn't
>cause you a loss of livelihood.  No one is obliged to cater to other people's
>hypersensitivities.  If you find yourself unable to work because people call
>you names, then you really are emotionally disabled and probably shouldn't
>have been working in the first place.  But I notice that all the name calling
>you've been subjected to on the net hasn't disabled you from excessive posting.

This really says it all right here.  "No one is obliged to cater to other
people's hypersensitivities."  Typical white male copout.  If you don't go
along with our way of thinking, if you are offended by the way we act,
YOU are being "hypersensitive" and we have no obligation to deal with you
or your "problem."  The question is whether or not the welfare system is in
trouble because it is being abused, or because people simply aren't given
enough money to take care of their needs, which include human contact and
social activity, which for some people consists only of phone calls.

>Does anybody really care?  Your litigiousness is probably keeping quite a
>few employees on the public payroll, to support an already overburdened
>legal system in order that it can deal with superfluous lawsuits by the
>likes of people who take offense at everything.  Colin, if you're going to
>complain about waste of taxpayers' money, how about the extra workload
>imposed on the California court system to support crybaby litigation?

More of the usual complaints about anyone who takes offense at offensiveness
being called a crybaby.  That's not the way MEN do it, is it Matt?  No, you
"take it like a man" as you so elegantly put it in another of your
vicious attacks.

--Mark

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (01/13/88)

Without making any comment on the semantic content of the Mark Ethan Smith
vs. Matt Weiner flamefest, I would like to congratulate the two combatants
on the high quality of their flames.  For example, a recent MES posting...

In article <3O31@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
}
}You were pretty indignant when I accused you of being the pseudo who told
}the pseudo about my being a pseudo.  You were only using your pseudo to
}repeat what the pseudo told you about me.  Now I accuse the pseudo of being
}you.  If you tell us who the pseudo is who told you that you weren't the
}pseudo, we'll know the pseudo wasn't you.  Until then, if you insist on
}lying by not telling the truth, we will know that you are the pseudo.
}If you repeat what you say as the pseudo and you don't use your real name,
}you are likely to be mistaken for him.

A masterpiece of confusion.  Bravo!

}Of course this would be the opinion of a Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew
}who gets his kicks flaming people on the network.

I nominate Mark Ethan Smith for the Alt.Flame New Epithet of the Year Award
for the heretofore unimagined "Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew"! What's
next, "Libertarian white-collar egghead WASP"?  Keep those entries coming!
--
Chip Salzenberg                 UUCP: "{codas,uunet}!ateng!chip"
A T Engineering                 My employer's opinions are a trade secret.

era@killer.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) (01/13/88)

Article <3031@killer.UUCP> is a forgery, as anyone who knows me,
or has been reading my articles for several years can tell.

I've asked Charlie to see if the article actually originated here
or not.  I hadn't responded to the forged article purporting to
be from weemba, so I believe we have here conclusive evidence that
ignoring such things and refusing to respond, does not solve the problem.

--Mark

Q2816@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Creative Business Decisions) (01/13/88)

In article <3O31@killer.UUCP>, era@killer.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) writes:

>In article <8801071134.AA05730@garnet.berkeley.edu> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>>If your co-workers want to tell you
>>to eat shit, they have every right to do so, you have no (legal) recourse to
>>limit their freedom of speech.

>Of course this would be the opinion of a Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew who
>gets his kicks flaming people on the network.

Which part don't you like, Mark?  Assimilated, or Jew?

Half of your article is an attack on Matt (or pseudo-Matt) for saying
things that fit your stereotyped image of what he is or must be.

The above line of yours is rapidly creating a stereotype of YOU that
is not particularly complimentary.  Please explain what you meant,
or be prepared to be written off as one who hides behind the net to
fling racial epithets.  What separates you from Eric Mading, Mark?
What makes you better than him?

Roger Lustig (Q2816@PUCC.BITNET)

I dreamt I saw Joe Hill last night, alive as you and me.
"But Joe," I said, "you're ten years dead."  "I never died," said he.

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (01/13/88)

Apparently the first message didn't get through.

In article <4007@ptsfa.UUCP>, seth@ptsfa (Seth Miller) writes:
>In article <3O31@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
>>In article <8801071134.AA05730@garnet.berkeley.edu> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>>  [Lots of garbage about each other that proves that both are assholes]

>Hey, guys (or gals or its), would you please keep your garbage
>out of soc.motss.  We really don't care about you or your
>trivial problems.  I wish you would both grow up and stop
>acting like a couple of 3 year olds.

The article that began this was a forgery in my name.  Mark's been having
people break in to some of his accounts--I have no idea of the above was
by Mark or not.

There are some terminal cases of three-year-old-itis out there, but I'm not
one of them.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"Heck, I didn't even know they had a university in Houghton Michigan."

seth@ptsfa.UUCP (Seth Miller) (01/13/88)

In article <3O31@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
>In article <8801071134.AA05730@garnet.berkeley.edu> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>
>  [Lots of garbage about each other that proves that both are assholes]

Hey, guys (or gals or its), would you please keep your garbage
out of soc.motss.  We really don't care about you or your
trivial problems.  I wish you would both grow up and stop
acting like a couple of 3 year olds.

Thank you.
Seth Miller
Pacific Bell

Disclaimer: We don't care, we don't have to, we're the phone company.

In article <22556@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>Mark's been having
>people break in to some of his accounts--I have no idea of the above was
>by Mark or not.

Matthew hadn't read the article in question when he wrote this.
Somebody apparently managed to get my password on killer, and I've
changed it now, so it probably won't happen again.

Nobody reading that article who has read my articles, would think
I'd written it.  The cracker's own cleverness gives him away.  The
point of that article was to mislead, bait, confuse and amuse.  I
have more serious purposes in posting, which probably explains why
I've become the target of so many attacks.

--Mark

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (01/13/88)

In article <3O31@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
[ remember the next line, we'll use it later in class]
>The problem to the racists and bigots who use pseudos is when subhumans...
                    ^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^
>...fascist pronouncements....
    ^^^^^^^
>...Leave it to a blowhard fascist to tell other people when they should...
                           ^^^^^^
>Of course this would be the opinion of a Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew who
                                          ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^             ^^^
>...invention, should go unquestioned, since he is a white adult male....
                                                     ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^
>...people's hypersensitivities."  Typical white male copout.  If you don't...
                                           ^^^^^ ^^^^
>...being called a crybaby.  That's not the way MEN do it, is it Matt?  No,...
                                                ^^^
>"take it like a man" as you so elegantly put it in another of your
                 ^^^
>--Mark

Regarding the first line, I think the only one keying on or being
racist is Mark.  Also, sexist would be a good name to call, but
I wouldn't want to start doing that, would I???

The reason I took selected excepts out of MES's flame is to show
the net what made Mark great and so well loved.

-MikeP

inna@daisy.UUCP (Inna Lauris) (01/14/88)

In article <3O31@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:

>Of course this would be the opinion of a Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew who
>gets his kicks flaming people on the network.

 I do not want to get involved in the dispute between you and Math Student;
 it is going to be a messy discussion.

 However, I resent you refering to him as "Reaganite yuppie assimilated Jew".
 I am a Jew myself, mostly assimilated and I happen to be a Reagan supporter.
 What bothered me about your posting was the tone of your reference. What
 bearing the fact of his being or not being an assimilated Jew has on your
 arguments? And the fact that you are Jewish yourself is no excuse in this
 matter. You should stick to the facts and ideas in your arguments and leave
 people nationality and religion alone.

				      Inna

All I ask is the chance to prove that money cannot make me happy
             nsc!daisy!inna

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (01/14/88)

In article <796@daisy.UUCP> inna@daisy.UUCP (Inna Lauris) writes:
>In article <3O31@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:

Look again, Inna.

The article ID is 3O31, not 3031.  The forger used the letter "O"
and it would have had a numeral if it had been posted by me in
the ordinary manner.

I missed that also, and I want to thank the person who pointed
it out to me.

I'm Jewish, and though I have defended myself against attacks, I
have never attacked anyone.  I have responded to those who attacked
me.  There is a difference between an attack, and a response to
an attack or a defense.  I have never and would never make anti-Semitic
statements or irrational postings like that, and I hope that in the
future you'll check the article carefully to see if it is a forgery
before assuming that I wrote it.  Due to the recent rash of attacks
on me and forgeries, I have devoted less of my time to soc.women and
more time to the feminist mailing list.

--Mark

era@killer.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) (01/14/88)

In article <22556@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>The article that began this was a forgery in my name.  Mark's been having
>people break in to some of his accounts--I have no idea of the above was
>by Mark or not.

And you'd be the first to know all about this, wouldn't you?  Since you have
refused to admit to being the pseudo, it becomes apparent that either you
or your close friends are working together as the pseudo.  You broke into
my accounts to crack my pseudo, and failing that, you obscured my plan file
by trying to recreate the original account I had on chinet, disabling the
paranoid person option I had elected as was my choice.  You and your friends
working together have tried to prevent me from posting many times in the past.
Now that I have become adept at uncovering your plots to alter netnews software
in an effort to silence me, you know you cannot get away with simple tricks.
So you engage in this campaign of forgery, in an attempt to discredit me.
Mr. Wiener, you will not get away with this charade.  I will get you.

--Mark

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (01/15/88)

In article <31O8@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (??Mark Ethan Smith??) writes:
              ^
This article also has a 'O' instead of an '0' in the message ID. I
think it too is a forgery. Someone is amusing him/herself by forging
articles and tricking people into a flame war.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

rlw@philabs.Philips.Com (Richard Wexelblat) (01/16/88)

Oh, fuck off.
--

--Dick Wexelblat  {uunet|ihnp4|decvax}!philabs!rlw
		  rlw@philabs.philips.com

robinson@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Michael Robinson) (01/16/88)

In article <31O8@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
>In article <22556@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>
>>The article that began this was a forgery in my name.  Mark's been having
>>people break in to some of his accounts--I have no idea of the above was
>>by Mark or not.
>
>And you'd be the first to know all about this, wouldn't you?  Since you have
>refused to admit to being the pseudo, it becomes apparent that either you
>or your close friends are working together as the pseudo.
>[etc.]

Now folks, before everyone gets all bent out of shape again, please note:

That's 31O8 with a letter 'O', not the number '0'.

Looks like someone needs a spanking and to be sent to bed without dinner.

Michael Robinson                              USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (01/16/88)

In article <31O8@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:

The article I'm following up to is a forgery.  Note the Message-ID: it
has an O instead of a zero in the number.  Using postnews or Pnews
(from rn) will never generate an article of this kind.  Will whoever
is doing this please stop?  It's not amusing any more.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old Internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

era@killer.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) (01/16/88)

In article <1841@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <31O8@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
>
>The article I'm following up to is a forgery.  Note the Message-ID: it
>has an O instead of a zero in the number.  Using postnews or Pnews
>(from rn) will never generate an article of this kind.  Will whoever
>is doing this please stop?  It's not amusing any more.

Thanks, Joe.  It *is* sort of amusing to notice the people who don't
bother to look at the header and assume that I might post something
like those forgeries.  They are *all*, without exception, people who
have flamed me, attacked me, and made attacks on my humanity or denied
me equal terms in the past.

To those in soc.motss who are so irate about this material being
posted to their group, the original "8th Wonder" article was posted
to soc.motss.  Can you think why an article attacking somebody for
being "dickless" might be posted to a group that judges people by
whether or not they have a dick?  Are you sure the person who wanted
to show you his contempt for women isn't one of yours?  I've noticed
that overt contempt for women has become less overt among gays since
AIDS, but I rather doubt that it has disappeared completely.  Certainly
nobody from your group has protested the "dickless" attack as being
inappropriate.

I don't know how these forgeries are being done.  I suspect that
they have to access my account on killer to do it, so I've changed
my password again.  That may or may not help.  Please read the article
before responding.  Check the header.  If you have been reading my
articles for several years, looking for evidence of the "paranoia,"
"psychosis," and tendency to "attack" people that flamers persistently
attribute to me, without finding any such evidence, and are now
happy to find such evidence in the forged articles, check your
prejudgments before responding.  If I actually were paranoid or
psychotic, or actually attacked people who hadn't attacked me first,
the cracker wouldn't have to go to such trouble to make it look as
if I did.

If you mailed a vote on soc.equal-rights andor comp.human-rights and
it bounced, please post something and we'll try to get a mailpath.
I've received very few votes, but the "no" votes are so emphatic and
full of stuff like, "NO NO NO NO NO!  The flames are the only fun in
soc.women," that I believe there would be more such "no" votes if
not for mailer problems.  So far the "no" votes greatly outnumber
the "yes" votes, but not by 90%, indicating that there might be a
number of male posters who do not oppose equal rights, but haven't
voted.

--Mark

811318w@aucs.UUCP (Rob Wolfe) (01/17/88)

I have been reading the various scribblings of Mark and others re:Pseudos
and all sorts of other stuff and all I can think to say is:

come on people LIGHTEN UP

--
Rob Wolfe
UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield|mnetor}!dalcs!aucs!811318w

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (01/17/88)

I know this is an important topic, but could you bring it to a head and stop
bitching at each other. Wear asbestos or something...
Thanx.

- Bill

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (01/17/88)

Could someone tell me the original intent of this news group? I can't see
through the flames.... (Incidentally, you guys may wish to send things via
Snail and let the rest of us continue normally....)

- Bill N.

era@killer.UUCP (Mark E. Smith) (01/18/88)

In article <1439@uoregon.UUCP> dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:

>In some article in alt.flame....

The article ID was in your reference line.

>Do you have console logs or records of login/logout times for the

Do you have the ability to look at the article ID in your reference
line?  If so, you'd see it has a letter "O" instead of a number
"0" and is a forgery.

>Pardon me, but I think I'm going to go and be sick.

Please do it elsewhere.

--Mark

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (01/18/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.3 of Thu Oct 29 1987 on drizzle (berkeley-unix)

In some article in alt.flame, MES says:

>  Since you have
>refused to admit to being the pseudo, it becomes apparent that either you
>or your close friends are working together as the pseudo.

Huh? I refuse to admit to being the pseudonym you two are arguing
about too. Does that necessarily make me the pseudonym? This makes NO
sense at all, Mark.

Do you have console logs or records of login/logout times for the
accounts in question, Mark? Without such information, you're going to
have a very difficult time proving any of the charges you made in the
referenced article you posted. Also, be aware that the 'paranoid'
option for finger is easily circumvented and sometimes the system does
it for you. Our 4.3bsd system here regularly 'unparanoids' people on a
completely random basis -- the best solution to that is simply not to
have a .plan file (assuming that is possible -- I don't use any of the
systems referenced; I dislike Unix and use it only because I don't
have enough disk space on my 4341 to run news....sigh). What isn't
there, can't be modified.

>Mr. Wiener, you will not get away with this charade.  I will get you.

Come off it, Mark. Stop acting like a thwarted child and go on with
your life. 'Getting' someone doesn't buy you anything except a lot of
enemies. Take a bit of advice from Christ's speech to the disciples on
evangelism: if they're not listening, knock the dust off your sandals
and go elsewhere.

Pardon me, but I think I'm going to go and be sick.
--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1

legare@ut-emx.UUCP (BoB teCh) (01/20/88)

In article <743@aucs.UUCP>, 811318w@aucs.UUCP (Rob Wolfe) writes:

> I have been reading the various scribblings of Mark and others re:Pseudos
> and all sorts of other stuff and all I can think to say is:
>
> come on people LIGHTEN UP

gosh how eloquent.

sounds a lot like this guy's last poignent request,

" come on people GET A LIFE"

gosh, who could forget the depth of feeling and emotion from his classic

" come one people GROW UP"

?

i stand in awe.

aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

BoB
teCh
but above all, I am *definately* a pseudo... hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

811318w@aucs.UUCP (Rob Wolfe) (01/20/88)

In article <569@ut-emx.UUCP> legare@ut-emx.UUCP (BoB teCh) writes:
 LIGHTEN UP ]

>gosh how eloquent.
>
>sounds a lot like this guy's last poignent request,
>" come on people GET A LIFE"
>gosh, who could forget the depth of feeling and emotion from his classic
>" come one people GROW UP"
>i stand in awe.
>aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww....
>BoB
>teCh
>but above all, I am *definately* a pseudo... hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

now I dont remember posting either of the two other comments attributed to me
maybe it was a pseudo :-) but........ so what!
my point (such as it was) is that folks are getting carried away to such
an extent that there was some really vicious stuff being written and
being the good pacifist type that I am ( go ahead and flame me for that too)
I thought that a bit of distance from the battle would help.
Apparently not.
Just goes to show you that some people would rather flame away rather than
try to put across a rational (?) argument.
Attacks on someone ( and no i am not referring to myself ) if the are
done merely for the sake of denigrating them or something that they
believe (rightly or wrongly) are silly and not worth the bandwidth.

End of speech for today.

--

steve@crcmar.crc.uucp (Steve Ardron) (01/21/88)

In article <1841@epimass.EPI.COM>, jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
> In article <31O8@killer.UUCP> era@killer.UUCP (Mark Ethan Smith) writes:
>
> The article I'm following up to is a forgery.  Note the Message-ID: it
> has an O instead of a zero in the number.

It seems to me that some of these "forgeries" might not be forgeries. There
have been enough postings pointing out the O as opposed to 0 errors that
any forger would have to know about it, and yet they keep occuring. Also, it
is significantly easier to type 0 than O so I find it hard to see the
mistake being made in the first place.

I am reluctant to get into this MES flame stuff as I don't know the background,
but it looks to me as though he/she is using the "forgeries" to make postings
without any blame being attached, especially since he/she was the first to
bring it up about article numbers.

					  Stevie.

DISCLAIMER: My employers would shoot me if they knew I was writing this stuff.