[soc.men] Rape a reproductive advantage?

al@gtx.com (0732) (01/07/88)

>>>I expect there's an evolutionary advantage.  Rapists probably reproduce
>>>better than non-rapists.
>>>
>>>Keith Doyle
>>
>>Oh boy, I sure hope that was meant as a funny. How many out there think it
>>was? Now, how many out there thought it was amuuusing?

It is neither funny nor amuusing.  It is a very distasteful idea. However,
whether or not we like the idea has nothing to do with whether it is true
or not. It probably is false, but not obviously false.  I reject the
attitude that certain ideas are too politically unpleasant to have
a chance of being true, though.  There are a lot of taboo ideas like
this, most of them having to do with race, or heridity vs environment.
Scientists*  who study them will get viciously attacked if their data leads
to the "wrong" conclusion. Both liberals and conservatives have their
own set of "touchy" areas. Being "against rape" in the sense of not
being able to tolerate any non-condemnatory statement about it
is an understandable, though not rational reaction.

   | Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 2501 W. Dunlap, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA |
   | {ihnp4,cbosgd,decvax,hplabs,seismo}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al (602)870-1696 |
*in case I have left anyone unoffended, I should add that I do not necessarily
lump "social scientists" with "scientists".

scm@gtx.com (Sue Miller) (01/08/88)

   Not really.  Not unless you intend "non-rapists" to mean ONLY those
individuals who otherwise have no other way to pass on their DNA.
Otherwise, if it were an advantage that increased one's fitness (a la
Darwin, not Jack LaLanne ;-) ) I would certainly expect it to be exhibited
more frequently.
  As it is, I am not sure that rape as we humans know it
even exists in any other species - although the example of cricket sexual
behavior comes close I guess.  The "fittest" male crickets build little
dens ("lovenests") and chirp in order to attract females for "dates".
The less-fit cricket males don't build dens or chirp in a way that attracts
females.  Some of these (given the entertaining title of "sneaky fuckers"
by a bio TA I had) will hang around hoping to waylay ( :-) ) a female
on her way to a tryst.  Since cricket females are bigger than the males
the "sneaks" are not terribly successful -- but I guess it beats no
chance at reproduction at all.  This doesn't seem like a very good
parallel to the aggressive power trip that human rapists seem to exhibit.

Any social/behavioral biologists out there care to comment?  I think that
this has been somewhat of a hot topic with them recently.

 |  Sue Miller         UUCP: ihnp4!sun!sunburn!gtx!scm |

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (01/09/88)

In article <517@gtx.com> scm@gtx.UUCP (Sue Miller) writes:

>   Not really.  Not unless you intend "non-rapists" to mean ONLY those
>individuals who otherwise have no other way to pass on their DNA.
>Otherwise, if it were an advantage that increased one's fitness (a la
>Darwin, not Jack LaLanne ;-) ) I would certainly expect it to be exhibited
>more frequently.
>  As it is, I am not sure that rape as we humans know it
>even exists in any other species - although the example of cricket sexual
>behavior comes close I guess....
[Prurient description of the sex life of crickets ommitted at the
 request of Ed Meese]

Any statement which says "Humans (or Western Europeans etc.) are the only
species (people etc.) which do [some evil thing]" are usually wrong.
Rape among ducks is well documented.  (The female duck does NOT want to
be raped, the male duck uses force.)  When this happens, the husband of the
raped duck immediately rapes his wife, to reduce the chances of being
genetically cuckolded.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"Every day it's the same thing--variety.  I want something different."

joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) (01/10/88)

In article <5129@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:
>In article <517@gtx.com> scm@gtx.UUCP (Sue Miller) writes:
>>  As it is, I am not sure that rape as we humans know it
>>even exists in any other species - although the example of cricket sexual
>>behavior comes close I guess....
>[Prurient description of the sex life of crickets ommitted at the
> request of Ed Meese]
>
>Any statement which says "Humans (or Western Europeans etc.) are the only
>species (people etc.) which do [some evil thing]" are usually wrong.
>Rape among ducks is well documented.  (The female duck does NOT want to
>be raped, the male duck uses force.)  When this happens, the husband of the
>raped duck immediately rapes his wife, to reduce the chances of being
>genetically cuckolded.

I have a very big problem with the use of the word "rape" (or "monogamy" and
"polygamy" for that matter) in describing behavior in animals regardless of
how close that behavior *appears* to resemble human behavior.  Using "rape"
to describe the behavior of crickets, ducks, and humans suggests that its
cause is the same in each species.  Humans DO NOT engage in forced copulation
for the same reason ducks do.  Forced copulation in humans and ducks are
completely different phenomenon.

--------------------------------
Joseph Wang (joe@athena.mit.edu)
450 Memorial Drive C-111
Cambridge, MA 02139

mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) (01/10/88)

In article <511@gtx.com>, Alan Filipski (al@gtx.com (0732)) writes:

>                                                         I reject the
> attitude that certain ideas are too politically unpleasant to have
> a chance of being true, though.  There are a lot of taboo ideas like
> this, most of them having to do with race, or heridity vs environment.
> Scientists*  who study them will get viciously attacked if their data leads
> to the "wrong" conclusion.

Scientists have a choice in the methodology they employ.  Some
methodologies are biased.  The biology-is-destiny methodologies
are good examples of biased approaches.  Behavior genetics statistical
treatments tend to lump "environmental" effects in with "error" effects
in partialling out variance due to different factors, with the result
that "environment" is seldom systematically varied, while "heritable
characteristics" are always systematically varied.  Sociobiology
_starts_ with the notion that complex social behaviors are biologically
defined (i.e., chemically, genetically specifiable), and then goes on
to study how this "fact" is demonstrated in the behavior of ants and
humans.  The resulting "findings" are then applied to women,
minorities, and new "biologically (genetically)-defined" out-groups,
such as people who commit crimes (an alleged heritable tendency --
no social impact on people's behavior here!) or people who are diagnosed
as mentally ill (again, an alleged heritable tendency, with no
social component).  And _then_ these conclusions can have impact
directly upon people's lives.  Herrnstein proposed ending head start
programs because of the alleged heritability of stupidity in blacks.
A number of psychological conditions have been assumed to be heritable
-- and therefore suitable for forced sterilization as well as
indefinite confinement.  Recent work has shown these "truths" to be
in error -- why were people so willing to accept them for so long?
And at such cost to the victims?

If you believe that complex behaviors can be directly reduced to
genetically-defined traits, then those traits can be linked to other
genetically-defined traits, including sex.  And if nature has linked
those traits that way, then what can the poor behavioral geneticist
or sociobiologist do about it?  It's just the "natural order," that's
all (they say).  So they can conclude that complex behaviors are
directly reducible to genetic traits, that these traits are linked
to other traits that _just_happen_ to be associated with an out-group
status in current society, that this is inevitable, and that therefore
we must accept it.  How strange, how coincidental that these
conclusions never contradict the social order.  And so they learn:
_That's_ why women fare so poorly in employment:  they're trying
to do something for which they lack the right genes!  Likewise blacks.
I hope that my sarcasm makes clear that I do not agree with the
conclusions described in this paragraph (and I hope that if you
quote this paragraph, you will do so carefully, dividing my views
from the views I am describing).

The "scientific study" of the "heritability of IQ" (or of other behavioral
"traits") is rife with suspicious or obviously-flawed methodologies,
not to mention outright falsification on a massive scale -- Gould,
Rose, Rose, Lewontin, and Kamin have made this case much better
than I could, and in very accessible forms (go read them if you think
that science in this area is unbiased).

Gould and Kamin have been particularly strong on the point that
the usual scientific standards are weakened or ignored when someone's
allegedly scientific work supports a societal prejudice.  They've
documented this repeated trend in many many cases, for a total of
hundreds of pages of clear, readable prose.  I urge you to have a look.

So I don't condemn scientists who investigate unpopular notions.
I do consider that scientists choose their methodologies for a number
of reasons, including how those methodologies support their views of
culture, society, and so on (read Laudan on the topic of contributions
to scientific thinking which come from areas _external_ to the scientist's
own area of research).  And I think it is fair to hold people responsible
for the methodological models which they choose.

Put differently:  Many scientists claim that they are results-driven --
i.e., "the data made me do it" (where "it" can mean the sociobiologist's
conclusion that certain behavioral traits are heritable, that they
_have_been_ inherited differentially in western society, and that this
"natural order" is the way things are meant to be -- therefore, it must
be Good, or at least inevitable).  But read Laudan, or Kuhn:  scientific
thought is influenced by a priori assumptions and contributions from
other areas of science, culture, and so on.  Scientists are as
responsible as the rest of us for the choices they make -- in how they
analyze certain problems, and in whether they choose to investigate
certain questions at all.  Those choices are fair topics for debate,
I think, and for critical examination of social consequences.

Michael Muller
Bellcore                                 I wish that my views were
Bell Communications Research             representative of those
..!bellcore!ctt!mjm                      of my employer.

lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (01/10/88)

In article <2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:
>Forced copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.

This simply isn't correct.

Monogamy is a reasonable strategy for living and for child raising. Its wide
presence in both birds and mammals demonstrates that it has a fundamental
advantage. But, this implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
reproduce at all, unless they rape. Now that we have this insight, field
researchers have reexamined notes, and made new observations, and sure
enough, rape is seen. It would be presumptous of us to think that we stand
apart from this pattern: "we aren't animals, after all!".

If it was just mallards, well, we do act very differently from mallards.
But, if it's a broad observation about higher animals, with a reasonable
logic going for it, then I think it does apply to us. Not as an overt thing,
of course: the rapist does not think in these terms. But, the mallard didn't
either.

This is sad, and not too useful, until we notice the "rerape" that mallards
do. (The husband has a quick shot at getting his genes in there before the
invading ones have beat him to the egg.) Suddenly, we have an explanation
for the way that rape victims are often treated, by police, by boyfriends,
and by courts.
--
	Don		lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu    CMU Computer Science

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (01/10/88)

In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>In article <2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:
>>Forced copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.
>
>This simply isn't correct.
>
>Monogamy is a reasonable strategy for living and for child raising. Its wide
>presence in both birds and mammals demonstrates that it has a fundamental
>advantage. But, this implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
>reproduce at all, unless they rape. Now that we have this insight, field
>researchers have reexamined notes, and made new observations, and sure
>enough, rape is seen. It would be presumptous of us to think that we stand
>apart from this pattern: "we aren't animals, after all!".

	This, and the entire line of [deleted] reasoning is dubious.  It is
true that some animals "rape".  And it is equally true that there are good
biological reasons for this.  However the analogy is faulty.

(1)	Human females are almost unique among animals in not having estrus.
They can and do breed at any time, regardless of whether they are fertile at
the time.  "Rape" in ducks, et al, has the immediate advantage of passing
on the genes, if it is successful.  The reproductive advantage of rape, in
humans, is marginal because the chance that the female is fertile at the
time is low.

(2)	Copulation, in humans, is a social activity.  This is not confined
to humans; the higher primates also use copulation as a social activity,
albeit not to the extent that humans do.  The higher primates tend to
use copulation to confirm dominance relationships.

(3)	Humans, to an extent far beyond that of any other animal, act
under conscious control, in the context of a learned and shared culture.
A bachelor duck is, so to speak, operating on autopilot -- a human is not.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

g451252772ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000009765;0;327;142;) (01/10/88)

"...as we know it...", rape exists only among humans.  And in
our case, fitness is among the least important aspects of rape, in contrast to
social dominance or pathology.

David Barash has popularized mallard-duck forced copulations as 'rape'.
This earned an acerbic rebuke in the journal Animal Behaviour (UK&USA)
about 1985-6 by either Felicity Huntingford (now an editor) or Linda
Partridge, which I recommend reading.

Because of the emotions which the term rape evokes, a discussion which
aims at light rather than heat is well-advised to use 'force copulations'
(abbreviate as desired 8-)

--

Ron Goldthwaite / UC Davis, Psychology and Animal Behavior
'Economics is a branch of ethics, pretending to be a science;

potency@violet.berkeley.edu (Tom Slone) (01/10/88)

In article <23111@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>>In article <2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:
>>>Forced copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.
>>This simply isn't correct.
>>Monogamy is a reasonable strategy for living and for child raising. Its wide
>>presence in both birds and mammals demonstrates that it has a fundamental
>>advantage. But, this implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
>>reproduce at all, unless they rape. Now that we have this insight, field
>>researchers have reexamined notes, and made new observations, and sure
>>enough, rape is seen. It would be presumptous of us to think that we stand
>>apart from this pattern: "we aren't animals, after all!".
>	This, and the entire line of [deleted] reasoning is dubious.  It is
>true that some animals "rape".  And it is equally true that there are good
>biological reasons for this.  However the analogy is faulty.
>(1)	Human females are almost unique among animals in not having estrus.
>They can and do breed at any time, regardless of whether they are fertile at
>the time.  "Rape" in ducks, et al, has the immediate advantage of passing
>on the genes, if it is successful.  The reproductive advantage of rape, in
>humans, is marginal because the chance that the female is fertile at the
>time is low.

Subadult male orangutans have been know to force copulation on adult female
orangutans.  It is thought that the chance of pregnancy with one of these
forced copulations is low (perhaps because off the male's immaturity), but
useful to the species nonetheless, since the female may be travelling
with an adult male that is infertile.  Thus, since the subadult is an
inferior choice of mate to the female (since he has not "proven"
himself by fully reaching adulthood), the female usually resists
copulation.

>(2)	Copulation, in humans, is a social activity.  This is not confined
>to humans; the higher primates also use copulation as a social activity,
>albeit not to the extent that humans do.  The higher primates tend to
>use copulation to confirm dominance relationships.

Although orangutans are generally a-social, I believe that there have also been
isolated reports of forced copulations between the chimpanzees to which I
presume you are referring.

>(3)	Humans, to an extent far beyond that of any other animal, act
>under conscious control, in the context of a learned and shared culture.
>A bachelor duck is, so to speak, operating on autopilot -- a human is not.

For anyone who still has any doubts that the great apes are capable of having
a complex social structure, or that they have a conscience, I recommend any of
the books by Jane Goodall, Francine Patterson, or (the shocking) "Chimpanzee
Politics" by Frans de Waal.  This last book is about a study of a large colony
of chimpanzees in a semi-natural setting at a European zoo.  I was told that
the author self-censored the ending to the book which was the end to one of the
main power struggles in the colony.  Two of the males were in competition for
dominance of the colony and would not separate from each other for all of one
day.  When the zookeeper found them in the sleeping quarters the next day,
blood was splattered all over the quarters, and one of the chimps had its
testicles ripped out.

potency@violet.berkeley.edu
{decvax|hplabs|ihnp4|decwrl|nbires| \
	sdcsvax|tektronix|ulysses}!ucbvax!violet!potency

In article <6514@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> potency@violet.berkeley.edu (Tom Slone) writes:
>In article <23111@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>copulation.
>
>>(2)	Copulation, in humans, is a social activity.  This is not confined
>>to humans; the higher primates also use copulation as a social activity,
>>albeit not to the extent that humans do.  The higher primates tend to
>>use copulation to confirm dominance relationships.
>
>Although orangutans are generally a-social, I believe that there have also been
>isolated reports of forced copulations between the chimpanzees to which I
>presume you are referring.

	Actually I wasn't thinking of forced copulation at all; I was
thinking of propitiary presentation in chimpanzees and baboons.  I have read
the works you cite on chimpanzee behaviour and a bit on baboons and gorillas.
I haven't seen much on orangutangs.  If I recall correctly chimpanzees have
an extended estrus.  They have been known to go off on "honeymoons".
Females will present them selves to dominant males as an act of propitiation.
Weaker males sometimes do so also.  The actual mounting may be nominal.
[Or am I confusing them on this point with baboons?]  In any case the
sexual activities of the higher primates have social implications that
are not confined to breeding per se.

	One of the things that intrigued me about chimpanzees is that they
use the kow-tow as an act of submission to the chief (who is usually but
not necessarily male.)  In pre industrial times the single most reliable
measure of the absolutism of political authority was the degree to which
people bowed.  In oriental despotisms people did the full kow-tow of
abasement, as do chimpanzees.  In a strong monarchy one went down on one
knee; in weaker ones the courtly bow was sufficient.  And the free man
bowed to no one.

scm@gtx.com (Sue Miller) (01/11/88)

Keith Doyle wrote:

>>>I expect there's an evolutionary advantage.  Rapists probably reproduce
>>>better than non-rapists.
>>>
>>>Keith Doyle

I responded:

>>   Not really.  Not unless you intend "non-rapists" to mean ONLY those
>>individuals who otherwise have no other way to pass on their DNA.
>>Otherwise, if it were an advantage that increased one's fitness (a la
>>Darwin, not Jack LaLanne ;-) ) I would certainly expect it to be exhibited
>>more frequently.
>>  As it is, I am not sure that rape as we humans know it
>>even exists in any other species - although the example of cricket sexual
>>behavior comes close I guess....

David Palmer rejoins:

>[Prurient description of the sex life of crickets ommitted at the
> request of Ed Meese]
>
>Any statement which says "Humans (or Western Europeans etc.) are the only
>species (people etc.) which do [some evil thing]" are usually wrong.
>Rape among ducks is well documented.  (The female duck does NOT want to
>be raped, the male duck uses force.)  When this happens, the husband of the
>raped duck immediately rapes his wife, to reduce the chances of being
>genetically cuckolded.

Now I reply:

   No, this is not exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned rape
in the human community.  BTW, in spite of your implication to the contrary -
I did not say that "humans are the only species which rape".  That is quite
clear from the text of my earlier message.

   In any case, your "duck" example could be completely explained in the
context of fitness && competition.  It is to the female duck's advantage
to choose her mates, and to her chosen mate's advantage to try to repair
the "genetic damage" that has been done by an interloper.  Incidentally,
you seemed to use the term "rape" as synonymous with "intercourse".

   In the human community, it is easy to show plus beaucoup instances
where a male has sexually violated a female WHERE THERE WAS NO POSSIBILITY
OF THIS UNION BEING FERTILE.  This is what I'm getting at when I say that
rape seems to be confined to humans (although I am not completely certain).

   So, now I ask --- can anyone give me a documented example of rape
(other than by a human) in the animal kingdom.  I am looking for an
example where the sexual act is intended solely for the infliction of
pain, harassment, to terrorize the victim, etc.  Note that it would be
extremely interesting if said act was perpetrated on an individual that
was not capable of reproduction (eg. infant, small child, individual past
reproductive age).   Something like that might help convince me that
rape exists elsewhere besides among members of H. sapiens.

 |  Sue Miller         UUCP: ihnp4!sun!sunburn!gtx!scm |

joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) (01/11/88)

In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>In article <2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:
>>Forced copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.
>
>This simply isn't correct.
>

>If it was just mallards, well, we do act very differently from mallards.
>But, if it's a broad observation about higher animals, with a reasonable
>logic going for it, then I think it does apply to us.

[lines deleted]

>This is sad, and not too useful, until we notice the "rerape" that mallards
>do. (The husband has a quick shot at getting his genes in there before the
>invading ones have beat him to the egg.) Suddenly, we have *an* explanation
>for the way that rape victims are often treated, by police, by boyfriends,
>and by court.

[highlighting mine]

We have *an* explanation; the problem I have with the word rape is the
it suggests that this is *the* explanation for such human behavior.
I have a good reason for doubting this.

Humans are the only animals that are always in heat, and during most
of this time the female is infertile.  That suggests that copulation in
humans primarily serves another purpose.  That opens up a lot of explanations
for rape in humans that don't exist with other animals.

--------------------------------
Joseph Wang (joe@athena.mit.edu)
450 Memorial Drive C-111
Cambridge, MA 02139

mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) (01/11/88)

I wrote on the topic of the misuse of scientific approaches to support
the status quo (e.g., sociobiology) in an earlier posting.  I did not expect
to see two such fine illustrations of my point appear so soon:

Joseph Wang (joe@athena.mit.edu.UUCP) sensibly replies in article
<2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>:

> > I have a very big problem with the use of the word "rape" (or "monogamy"
> > and "polygamy" for that matter) in describing behavior in animals
> > regardless of how close that behavior *appears* to resemble human behavior.
> > Using "rape" to describe the behavior of crickets, ducks, and humans
> > suggests that its cause is the same in each species.  Humans DO NOT
> > engage in forced copulation for the same reason ducks do.  Forced
> > copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.

So what's wrong with David's picture?

  1.  He is confusing forced copulation among one species of animal
      with forced copulation among another.

  2.  He is confusing sex-for-reproductive-fitness (ducks) with
      sexually-expressed _violence_ (humans).  Rapists don't know
      that their targets will conceive, or are even fecund (see
      earlier discussions in soc.women regarding sexual violence
      targeted on elderly women).  Some rapists don't rape
      vaginally:  where is the reproductive fitness in violently
      coerced oral or anal sex?).

  3.  He is confusing what might be biologically useful behavior
      (ducks) with human power dynamics.

  4.  He is certainly confusing temporary pair-formation (ducks)
      with a statistically more stable pair-_bonding_ (humans)
      in his use of words like "husband" and "wife."

  5.  He is attributing purposiveness -- and a very specific,
      motivated, thought-out goal-orientation -- to the rape-
      by-"husband" behavior he describes in animals.

  6.  Taken all together, David's position can appear to support
      some alleged "biological necessity" of rape among humans,
      because of its superficial resemblance to what David chooses
      to call rape in ducks.  David's position can even appear
      to support further sexually-expressed violence within a human
      "marriage" (the rape-by-"husband" goal-attribution of avoiding
      "genetic cuckolding").

      I'm _not_ saying that David himself favors rape either inside
      or outside of marriage.  I'm saying that his position can be
      used to make pseudo-biological justifications for this type
      of violence (see below).  And I hope that David will think
      about where his line of argument can lead.

Unhappily, Don (Lindsay?) (lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU.UUCP) follows just
this scenario in article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, in rebutting Joseph's
statement:

> > > This simply isn't correct.
>
> > > Monogamy is a reasonable strategy for living and for child raising. Its
> > > wide presence in both birds and mammals demonstrates that it has a
> > > fundamental advantage. But, this implies the existence of bachelors,
> > > who will not reproduce at all, unless they rape. Now that we have
> > > this insight, field researchers have reexamined notes, and made new
> > > observations, and sure enough, rape is seen.

(But note that no one saw rape until it was socially convenient -- until
people had a socially-motivated reason -- to label the superficially similar
behaviors by the same term.)

(Note also that Don has made a new -- and in this case quite inaccurate
-- association of behaviors by his use of the word "monogamy."  Ducks
aren't, particularly.  And does Don really believe that the complex of
human social and religious values around the concept of monogamy
is analogous to the by-constrast rather simplistic mating behaviors
of ducks?)

> > >                       It would be presumptous of us to think that we
> > > stand apart from this pattern: "we aren't animals, after all!".

(Sure, we're animals.  But we do some things that animals don't do, too.
You're doing one of them right now:  you're reading my words on a computer
terminal, and you're interpreting them in terms of their human social
significance.  If you write back to me, I think you're doing more than
quacking.)

> > > This is sad, and not too useful, until we notice the "rerape" that
> > > mallards do. (The husband has a quick shot at getting his genes
> > > in there before the invading ones have beat him to the egg.)
> > > Suddenly, we have an explanation for the way that rape victims
> > > are often treated, by police, by boyfriends, and by courts.

And Don completes the biological justification for certain human behaviors
with his "rerape" scenario.

The human behaviors which have just been spuriously justified include
rape by strangers, rape within marriage, and the further victimization
of a woman who has been raped by society at large.  Not a bad day's work
for sociobiological analysis.

I think it's important to examine the language in Don's last paragraph,
especially in its third line.  Where exactly is "in there"?  By whose
criteria are "the invading" genes considered to be "invading"?  Is the
"wife" duck present at all in that paragraph, except as object and
battleground?  So I begin to conclude that Don's interpretations are not
exactly data-driven.  Don's "science" appears to serve his world view:
women are objects at men's disposal -- see, even ducks do it.  (Don,
please show me I'm wrong about this.)

In an earlier posting, I tried to argue that certain scientific analyses
are by their natures biased -- that they tend to support the current
power relationships in society, and to continue the oppression of women,
minorities, and other socially disenfranchised groups.  Their approaches
-- summarized in the expression "biology is destiny" -- tend to use the
type of flawed analogical reasoning that David and Don used in their postings
(a second, popular technique is to locate some claimed genetic inferiority
in the out-group, and then to blame the victim for "having" this non-existent
genetic trait).  My point was that scientists choose their methodologies
and analytical approaches on the basis of _concepts_, not just data, and
that their choices reflect the social beliefs as well as their scientific
beliefs.  And my point was that scientists, like the rest of us, are
responsible for the choices they make.

The analytical choices made by David and Don have direct impact upon
people's attitudes toward certain types of violence against women.  These
choices -- of theory, of analytical framework, of methodolgy -- matter.
They have relevance to people's lives.  They can affect people's attitudes
regarding sexual violence against women.  They can affect how people
are educated, how laws are written.  They can affect women's safety.
They can affect women's rights.  These choices are important.

I am, in a manner of speaking, "indebted" to David and Don for
illustrating my point so much better than I ever could have done.
And I'm genuinely grateful to Joseph Wang for taking them to task over it.

web@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Wendy) (01/11/88)

In article <2222@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:

>Humans are the only animals that are always in heat, and during most
>of this time the female is infertile.  That suggests that copulation in
>humans primarily serves another purpose.  That opens up a lot of explanations
>for rape in humans that don't exist with other animals.

Bad choice of words. Humans are not always "in heat", anymore than women
are "always recpetive". We are capable of having sex anytime - doesn't
mean we always want to, or always will.
(Talking about men as well as women, here.)

		web@ssyx.ucsc.edu
   Wendy	ssyx!web@ucscc.BITNET		We're all in this together...
		...!ucbvax!ssyx!web

crovella@sunybcs.uucp (Mark Crovella) (01/11/88)

>   Not really.  Not unless you intend "non-rapists" to mean ONLY those
>individuals who otherwise have no other way to pass on their DNA.
>Otherwise, if it were an advantage that increased one's fitness (a la
>Darwin, not Jack LaLanne ;-) ) I would certainly expect it to be exhibited
>more frequently.

I believe that behavior such as this is fairly common among
species that do not develop lasting pair bonds.  If one parent
has no requirement to invest energy in the offspring (in the form of
feeding, nurturing), it is to that parent's advantage to attempt to
reproduce as often as possible. Since females cannot do this in the
limit, so-called "rape" behavior occurs only in males.

>  As it is, I am not sure that rape as we humans know it
>even exists in any other species - although the example of cricket sexual
>behavior comes close I guess.

Mallards (_Anas_ sp. -- ahem! :-) exhibit behavior which is termed
by ornithologists as "rape" or "gang rape".  Late in the season, after
young have hatched, males will encircle a lone female and some of them
will copulate with her.  I don't think that these unions generally
lead to successfully fledged young -- it is too close to migration,
the females are really not physiologically prepared to raise another
clutch.  I think there are really quite a few other examples out there
among all that diversity. Note that
non-pair bonding species generally exhibit much greater sexual
dimorphism (colorful males, larger males, etc.) because a new
pair bond is formed every year.  In this case, a distiguishing
feature make help a female "make up her mind" to select a given male,
and this feature becomes a reproductive advantage.  This makes me
think that the cricket example is an example of a non-pair bonder, also.

>Any social/behavioral biologists out there care to comment?

Where there is an advantage to a behavior, directly accruing from
differential reproduction (= "fitness"), that behavior will usually
be exhibited.  I'm not a social or behavioral biologist, but I
think this is a central tenet of ethology (behavioral biology).

> |  Sue Miller         UUCP: ihnp4!sun!sunburn!gtx!scm |

Mark Crovella

Mark Crovella
uucp:	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!crovella
internet: crovella@cs.buffalo.edu         bitnet: crovella@sunybcs.bitnet

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (01/12/88)

In article <358@rruxa.UUCP> mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) writes:

[ on the topic of "rape" among "lower" animals ]

>I wrote on the topic of the misuse of scientific approaches to support
>the status quo (e.g., sociobiology) in an earlier posting.  I did not expect
>to see two such fine illustrations of my point appear so soon:

>  2.  He is confusing sex-for-reproductive-fitness (ducks) with
>      sexually-expressed _violence_ (humans).  Rapists don't know
>      that their targets will conceive, or are even fecund (see
>      earlier discussions in soc.women regarding sexual violence
>      targeted on elderly women).  Some rapists don't rape
>      vaginally:  where is the reproductive fitness in violently
>      coerced oral or anal sex?).
>
>  3.  He is confusing what might be biologically useful behavior
>      (ducks) with human power dynamics.

I think there is a deeper flaw than that.  Several posters have been
viewing rape among animals merely as a way for the rapist to propagate
his genes.  This may be part of the explanation, but it is not the
whole explanation.

For example, among birds rape occurs when conception would be a positive
disadvantage to the female - eg shortly before migration - and not only
give no chance to the offspring but, by threatening the femal's life,
reduce any subsequent chance of using that female to produce offspring.

Also, among many species of mammal, rape is clearly used as a means to
exert dominence.  Among primate colonies, for instance, anal rape of
both males and females, bu the more dominent males, is not uncommon.

Accordingly, we should perhaps see rape among animals also as a means
to establish and enforce a certain social dynamic.  The problem is,
that however much we may deprecate the means, the end itself - a social
collective based on dominance relationships - is a very powerful pro
survival agency.  Had our ancestors lived by our scruples, we might
well be extinct.

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (01/12/88)

Sue Miller writes:

>   So, now I ask --- can anyone give me a documented example of rape
>(other than by a human) in the animal kingdom.  I am looking for an
>example where the sexual act is intended solely for the infliction of
>pain, harassment, to terrorize the victim, etc.  Note that it would be
>extremely interesting if said act was perpetrated on an individual that
>was not capable of reproduction (eg. infant, small child, individual past
>reproductive age).   Something like that might help convince me that
>rape exists elsewhere besides among members of H. sapiens.

	Let me first praise your articles, which I think have been
well written and well informed.  Having done that ...

The language " where the sexual act is intended solely for the
infliction of pain, harassment, to terrorize the victim, etc."
is loaded.  (1) Rape, in humans, is not necessarily for the purpose
of... Rape (from the rapists side) can be socially sanctioned and
principally sexual --  the conqueror takes his pleasure in the women
of his enemies because he can, because it is pleasant, and because it
is his right to do so.  (2) The use of the word "intended" is dubious
when applied to animals.  Whether any of the other animals (including
primates) can be said to have intents and purposes is debatable.
(3) Few species even have the sexual act available for these malign
purposes, even supposing they had intents.  (4) No species that I
know of is anywhere as nasty to its own species as humans -- intraspecies
violence is usually carefully limited, although chimpanzees (our
closest relative) can be quite human like (read, not nearly as nice
as lower animals) in their behaviour.  Torture, war, genocide, gas
chambers, rape and pillage, and the like are uniquely human.

Essentially what you have done is defined rape in a way that can only
be applied to human beings and implicitly excluded classes of forced
copulation that I, and I think you, would count as rape.  The glib
formulation, "rape is not a sexual act, it is an act of violence"
is political and misleading.

As to your request, I believe baboons use anal mounting and copulation
for dominance and that this mounting may be forced.  Both males and
females may be mounted.  I don't think that this really meets your
requirements -- what it does indicate is that the higher primates
display in potential the social behaviour of humans, such as it is.

oleg@quad1.quad.com (Oleg Kiselev) (01/12/88)

In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>Monogamy is a reasonable strategy for living and for child raising. Its wide
>presence in both birds and mammals demonstrates that it has a fundamental
>advantage. But, this implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
>reproduce at all, unless they rape.

Hmmm...  That presumes that males outnumber females -- which certainly is not
true in either human societies, or in most mammals.  Unless, that is, you
mean "polygeny" when you speak of "monogamy".

I suggest you read the recent research of behaviours of large groups of chimps
(In a recent National Geographic or Discovery, I believe), which, along with
the observations of chimp warfare, proposes a rationale for a role of
"bachelor" in the survival of the family's genes.

--
Oleg Kiselev  --  oleg@quad1.quad.com -- {...!psivax|seismo!gould}!quad1!oleg
HASA, "A" Division

DISCLAIMER:  I don't speak for my employers.

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (01/12/88)

In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>Monogamy ... implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
>reproduce at all, unless they rape... It would be presumptous of us to
>think that we stand apart from this pattern: "we aren't animals, after all!".

There are several assumptions in this argument I find disturbing in
someone supposedly capable of rational thought and observation.  Take
for instance the assumption that humans are wholly monogamous.  The
statement that bachelors cannot reproduce except by rape is
contradicted by experience.  Mr. Lindsay also seems to be assuming that
rape in humans is (A) a heriditary trait, and (B) an effective means of
reproduction.  It is possible that A is true.  I dispute B.  Many
(though not most) rapes in humans end in the death of the victim.  If
there were some reproductive advantage to be gained, the rapist would
have some interest in protecting the life of the victim.

I also feel that, even in the event that nature has designed men to be
rapists, we are (to some extent) rational creatures, and don't have to
give in to every impulse our genes urge us towards.  If Mr. Lindsay
desires not to be presumptuous, I am willing to exclude him from this
generalization.

We aren't JUST animals, after all!
--
    o							Andre Guirard
   < '	  The race is not always to the swift...	"Thai green beads"

mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) (01/12/88)

In article <3755@aw.sei.cmu.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:

> In article <358@rruxa.UUCP> mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) writes:
>
> [ on the topic of "rape" among "lower" animals ]

Actually, I don't think I said "lower."  I don't particularly see the
sense in the scala naturae argument that puts humans at the pinnacle
of evolution:  we have our niche, just like other critters, and we're
all more or less adapted to our niches.  My complaint is not that
human behavior is being compared with "lower" animals, but that the
analyses mix apples and oranges.  Perhaps "apples and rocks" would be
a better example -- drawing an analogy between sexual behavior ("rape")
in ducks or crickets and complex socially-motivated violence (rape) in
humans is a little like biting a rock instead of an apple.

> I think there is a deeper flaw than that.  Several posters have been
> viewing rape among animals merely as a way for the rapist to propagate
> his genes.  This may be part of the explanation, but it is not the
> whole explanation.
>
> For example, among birds rape occurs when conception would be a positive
> disadvantage to the female - eg shortly before migration - and not only
> give no chance to the offspring but, by threatening the femal's life,
> reduce any subsequent chance of using that female to produce offspring.
>
> Also, among many species of mammal, rape is clearly used as a means to
> exert dominence.  Among primate colonies, for instance, anal rape of
> both males and females, bu the more dominent males, is not uncommon.
>
> Accordingly, we should perhaps see rape among animals also as a means
> to establish and enforce a certain social dynamic.  The problem is,
> that however much we may deprecate the means, the end itself - a social
> collective based on dominance relationships - is a very powerful pro
> survival agency.  Had our ancestors lived by our scruples, we might
> well be extinct.

Why is "a social collective based on dominance relationships . . . a
very powerful pro survival agency"?  I know of no other reason than
that things seem to have turned out this way.  The simple form of
this argument is:  "if it has occurred biologically, it must be Right."
This is the nub of the biology-is-destiny analysis.  In its most
offensive form, a person locates a behavior in an animal species which
is vaguely analogous to a human behavior, and then justifies that
human behavior on the basis of its "biological necessity."  This is
a flawed argument for a number of reasons:

  1.  Human behaviors and animal behaviors are not necessarily
      homologous.

  2.  Demonstrating the existence of a trait is not the same as
      demonstrating the necessity of that trait.

  3.  Many physiological and structural traits can be shown to be
      sub-optimal, yet existing.  The current forms and functions
      of animals (including us) are _not_ optimal, they are merely
      the best that could be done with the available materials.
      Better things could have been done with other materials.
      We humans have somewhat more plasticity in our materials and
      in how we choose to use them -- at least, behaviorally
      speaking.  The distinction is this:  evolution has worked
      to solve near-term problems, but we can think about our
      behaviors in long-term contexts, and come up with different
      solutions based on those longer term analyses.

So I don't agree that "a social collective based on dominance
relationships . . . is a very powerful pro survival agency".  Some
organisms that have survived have these dynamics.  Some that have
survived don't have these dynamics.  Some that haven't survived
may have had these dynamics.  The existence of the dominance
relationships proves nothing about their necessity, or even about
their utility.  And so I have to disagree strongly with the
statement, "Had our ancestors lived by our scruples, we might
well be extinct."

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to say that, for different species,
behaviors which are in some ways _superficially_ the same may have
_different_ "functions" or "meanings"?  Ducks are, I suspect,
not very good at understanding power relationships.  I myself am
pretty poor at eating weeds off the bottom of a pond, and I don't
remember imprinting on an adult immediately after birth, either.
Human behavior is different from duck behavior in lots of ways --
why assume that the sexual aspects are analogous?

Rape, as we understand it, is a violent social event which is very much
mixed up with oppression, including racial, sexual, and economic
oppression.  Claiming that there is an analogous event in animals
is at best spurious and confusing, and at worst dangerous to people
who are in danger of rape.

straney@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Ronald W. DeBry) (01/13/88)

>I expect there's an evolutionary advantage.  Rapists probably reproduce
>better than non-rapists.
>
>Keith Doyle

This posting certainly generated a lot of activity on a
relatively quiet newsgroup, didn't it? (meaning sci.bio)
Most of it about the definition and frequency of rape in
non-human animals.

I would like to comment about the first question - why doesn't
this trait increase in frequency.  Natural selection on a single
trait isn't magic, it's just a mathematical consequence of
differential reproduction.  BUT, before we can talk about natural
selection being responsible for maintaining or affecting the
frequency of a trait in a population, several criteria must be
met:

		1. There must be variation in the population

		2. The trait must cause a variation in reproductive
            success, either positive or negative

		3. The trait must be heritable

The first is usually obvious, it's the second that everyone gets
excited about.  Regardless of the trait, people like to start
making arguments about how it either increases or decreases
fitness.  Often there are equal numbers of arguments for both
conditions for a single trait :-).  Actually measuring fitness is
a REAL problem.  See both John Endler's recent book and a rather
sobering essay by Lewontin in the (I think) 1985 edition of
"Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology."

The last criterion is the easiest to forget in all the hupla over
fitness values, and this is the one that human rape clearly
fails.  Rape is a social, not a genetic problem; so the question
of reproductive success is moot.

Ron DeBry   Dept. of Zoology  MSU

hilda@kaos.UUCP (Hilda Marshall) (01/13/88)

In article <23162@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:

>The language " where the sexual act is intended solely for the
>infliction of pain, harassment, to terrorize the victim, etc."
>is loaded.  (1) Rape, in humans, is not necessarily for the purpose
>of... Rape (from the rapists side) can be socially sanctioned and
>principally sexual --  the conqueror takes his pleasure in the women
>of his enemies because he can, because it is pleasant, and because it
>is his right to do so.

It's pleasant in the conqueror's case because they are enemy women.  If
he went home and treated _nice_ women like that, he might be thought of as
crass (or even unable to find a willing piece!) by his own battlefield
buddies.  I forget who it was that swore up and down that a cup of still-
warm Dane's blood, drunk from said Dane's skull, tastes better than any
wine.  When not into conquering, most people stick to wine.

>...The glib
>formulation, "rape is not a sexual act, it is an act of violence"
>is political and misleading.

Only if you equate "political" with "misleading".  That statement is political
in that it expresses what would otherwise be considered an isolated incident
as an expression of a pattern.  Even if the primary intent of a rapist is to
feel pleasure, it is necessary for him to inflict pain and/or terror, or to
dominate through use of some existing advantage, to enjoy that pleasure.
Whether that need is a part of the rapist's full-time personality or something
that comes and goes, it makes rape, not sex per se, the object of the rapist's
actions.

-Hilda

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (01/14/88)

In article <1422@quad1.quad.com>, oleg@quad1.quad.com (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
> In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
> >Monogamy ... implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
> >reproduce at all, unless ...
>
> Hmmm...  That presumes that males outnumber females -- which certainly is not
> true in either human societies, or in most mammals.  Unless, that is, you
> mean "polygeny" when you speak of "monogamy".

In fact, women outnumber men, despite the fact that more men are
born than women. But this does not mean that the total number of
single women looking for a sexual partner equals the total number
of men looking for same. Despite the so-called "man shortage",
bars, singles clubs, and personal classifieds all show a heavy
male bias.  Of course, some of these men may not be single, and
others may not be "marriageable", and there are a variety of
other explanations. But the point is that issues about marriage
and partnership demographics are more complicated than simply
tallying two head counts.

Russell

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (01/14/88)

I think this failed to make it out when I tried to post it, my apologies
if you have seen it before.

In article <358@rruxa.UUCP> mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) writes:
>I wrote on the topic of the misuse of scientific approaches to support
>the status quo (e.g., sociobiology) in an earlier posting.  I did not expect
>to see two such fine illustrations of my point appear so soon:
>
>In article <5129@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> David Palmer
>(palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP) writes:
>
>> Rape among ducks is well documented.  (The female duck does NOT want to
>> be raped, the male duck uses force.)  When this happens, the husband of the
>> raped duck immediately rapes his wife, to reduce the chances of being
>> genetically cuckolded.
>
>Joseph Wang (joe@athena.mit.edu.UUCP) sensibly replies in article
><2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>:
>
>> > I have a very big problem with the use of the word "rape" (or "monogamy"
>> > and "polygamy" for that matter) in describing behavior in animals
>> > regardless of how close that behavior *appears* to resemble human behavior.
>> > Using "rape" to describe the behavior of crickets, ducks, and humans
>> > suggests that its cause is the same in each species.  Humans DO NOT
>> > engage in forced copulation for the same reason ducks do.  Forced
>> > copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.
>
>So what's wrong with David's picture?
>
>  1.  He is confusing forced copulation among one species of animal
>      with forced copulation among another.

Yes, I don't know how I could have been confused.  After all, forced
copulation is not the same as forced copulation.  Next thing you know
I'll be confusing spouse-rape with date-rape with stranger-rape,
which of course are completely different things.

>  2.  He is confusing sex-for-reproductive-fitness (ducks) with
>      sexually-expressed _violence_ (humans).  Rapists don't know
>      that their targets will conceive, or are even fecund (see
>      earlier discussions in soc.women regarding sexual violence
>      targeted on elderly women).  Some rapists don't rape
>      vaginally:  where is the reproductive fitness in violently
>      coerced oral or anal sex?).

Of course there is no similarity.  The 'human' rapist is taking control
of a woman's body for his own ends (feeling of power) without regards
to the resulting effect on the female (psychological distress, possible physical
damage) while the duck rapist, on the other hand, is taking control
of the female duck's body for his own ends (genetic propagation)
without regards to the resulting effect on the female (decreased genetic
fitness to the offspring (after all, there must be some reason why
she paired with the way she did, probably genetic fitness), possible
physical damage.

Some people have decided that rape is fundamentally different in
ducks from in humans because in ducks the "goal" (in the non-volitional
sense mentioned below in 5) is to propagate genes, rather than to do
whatever feminists think is the only reason men rape (to dominate
women and keep them oppressed).  Still, if a man raped because
god told him to "be fruitful and multiply", choosing only fertile
women who were unlikely to have abortions, I doubt that many
people would claim that it was therefore not rape.

>  3.  He is confusing what might be biologically useful behavior
>      (ducks) with human power dynamics.

Are you saying that human power dynamics is not biologically useful? (In
moderation at least).  "La droit de Seigneur" (sp? you know what I mean)
if it existed (there are people who say it didn't, same as tooth fairies
and the moon landing) is a part of human power dynamics which would have
been biologically useful to the Seigneur (sp?)

>  4.  He is certainly confusing temporary pair-formation (ducks)
>      with a statistically more stable pair-_bonding_ (humans)
>      in his use of words like "husband" and "wife."

I assumed that ducks, like swans, were monogamous.  And of course
humans always pair-bond, just ask any mormon or arab, ask Solomon
himself (apart from his tendancy to cut babies in half, he was
considered to be pretty wise.  He wouldn't steer you wrong.)

>  5.  He is attributing purposiveness -- and a very specific,
>      motivated, thought-out goal-orientation -- to the rape-
>      by-"husband" behavior he describes in animals.

I am attributing a cause to the development of rape-by-husband.  No
more purposiveness is implied than if I said that a river ran downstream
to reduce its potential energy.

>  6.  Taken all together, David's position can appear to support
>      some alleged "biological necessity" of rape among humans,
>      because of its superficial resemblance to what David chooses
>      to call rape in ducks.  David's position can even appear
>      to support further sexually-expressed violence within a human
>      "marriage" (the rape-by-"husband" goal-attribution of avoiding
>      "genetic cuckolding").
>
>      I'm _not_ saying that David himself favors rape either inside
>      or outside of marriage.  I'm saying that his position can be
>      used to make pseudo-biological justifications for this type
>      of violence (see below).  And I hope that David will think
>      about where his line of argument can lead.

What I am saying is that if you think that Humans are the only beings
which do nasty things, you should think again.  If a duck practices
rape, should we?  If a chimp practices cannibalism, should we?  If
ants fight wars, should we?  If christians burn witches, should we?
If a person says "It's natural, there's nothing wrong with doing it",
should we?

There is sarcasm in this article, so don't be fooled by the absence
of smiley's :-)

ruffwork@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Ritchey Ruff) (01/14/88)

In article <616@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lindsay@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>In article <2201@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:
>>Forced copulation in humans and ducks are completely different phenomenon.
> [...]
>Monogamy is a reasonable strategy for living and for child raising. Its wide
>presence in both birds and mammals demonstrates that it has a fundamental
>advantage. But, this implies the existence of bachelors, who will not
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>reproduce at all, unless they rape. [...]

There is a logical flaw here - you assume that there are fewer females
then males, but in almost all cases (at least mamailian) there are fewer
males then females.  This implies (using your argument) that the
*females* would be "raping" the males...

--ritchey ruff

ruffwork@cs.orst.edu or {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!ruffwork

PS/2: half a computer.  OS/2: half an operating system for half a computer.

In article <358@rruxa.UUCP> mjm@rruxa.UUCP (M Muller) writes:
>And Don completes the biological justification for certain human behaviors
>with his "rerape" scenario.
>
>The human behaviors which have just been spuriously justified include
>rape by strangers, rape within marriage, and the further victimization
>of a woman who has been raped by society at large.  Not a bad day's work
>for sociobiological analysis.

No, I really don't think such scenarios "justify" rape.  If science were
to actually "prove" perhaps that blonde, blue-eyed men had a much higher
tendency towards rape, and that some gene present in them was the cause,
or that it was a product of some evolutionary circumstance, I'd hardly
say that would "justify" rape (Hey, man, it's in my Genes (Jordache)).
While it might work as a legal defense (ala Twinkies), would you rather
not know of the existance of possible contributing biological effects
for fear of rape becoming "normal" and "status quo" due to subsequent
societal "justification"?

Such studies could conceivably however, provide better understanding of
the reasons behind rape and possibly suggest new means to combat such
behavior.  If there are biological roots, perhaps they can be approached
biologically, instead of emotionally.  You seem to be recommending:
"I haven't looked so I
don't know for sure, but I don't want there to be any biological factors,
so we're just going to pretend there aren't any".

>Don's "science" appears to serve his world view:
>women are objects at men's disposal -- see, even ducks do it.  (Don,
>please show me I'm wrong about this.)

Seems like you read it into his statements to me.  Even if ducks DO do
it, and even if humans do it due to some semi-"natural" (evolutionary
advantage) reason, that doesn't mean it's de-facto OK.

>In an earlier posting, I tried to argue that certain scientific analyses
>are by their natures biased -- that they tend to support the current
>power relationships in society, and to continue the oppression of women,
>minorities, and other socially disenfranchised groups.

In this case, only if you read things into it that aren't there, if you
find what you are "looking" for even if YOU put it there.

>Their approaches
>-- summarized in the expression "biology is destiny" -- tend to use the
>type of flawed analogical reasoning that David and Don used in their postings
>(a second, popular technique is to locate some claimed genetic inferiority
>in the out-group, and then to blame the victim for "having" this non-existent
>genetic trait).  My point was that scientists choose their methodologies
>and analytical approaches on the basis of _concepts_, not just data, and
>that their choices reflect the social beliefs as well as their scientific
>beliefs.  And my point was that scientists, like the rest of us, are
>responsible for the choices they make.

Sounds like YOU are interpreting the data on the basis of YOUR concepts,
I did not see David "summarize" with a statment of the sort: "it must be ok,
because there's a biological basis".  YOU are the one that drew that
conclusion.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

gf@dasys1.UUCP (G Fitch) (01/14/88)

In article <511@gtx.com>, al@gtx.com (0732) writes:

> It [the idea that rape may be a reproductive advantage] is
> neither funny nor amuusing.  It is a very distasteful idea. However,
> whether or not we like the idea has nothing to do with whether it is true
> or not. It probably is false, but not obviously false.  I reject the
> attitude that certain ideas are too politically unpleasant to have
> a chance of being true, though.

But Science is a collection of theories about phenomena, not "Truth".
For example, the Copernican theory of celestial mechanics isn't "true",
but it's better than the Ptolmaic theory (because to most people it's
prettier and makes calculation easier.)  Scientific theories are
evolved with some attitude or purpose in mind, and any scientific theory which
seems to legitimate oppression will be promptly used for that purpose.
The Nazis used theories of racial difference to justify killing ten
or twelve million people and start a war which brought ruin and infamy
on Germany.  Later the theories were shown to be false, but the dead
did not come back to life.  A few years ago, Herrnstein's(sp?) theories
about racial difference were used by the Mayor of New York to justify
a continuation of the conditions under which certain racial minorities
live here: "they don't do any better because they can't do any better,
so we don't have to worry about it."  In the modern world, theories of
racial difference and the like will probably lead to civil war.  What
happens to Science then?

An additional point in reference to this discussion: in primates,
especially humans, sex (voluntary) is supposed to be used to bring
about the social cohesion required to support, among other things,
the very long process of bringing up the young.  The offspring of
rapists would presumably have a poorer chance of survival during
childhood.  I wonder if this has ever been studied.

--
G Fitch	        				{uunet}!mstan\
The Big Electric Cat     {ihnp4,harvard,philabs}!cmcl2!cucard!dasys1!gf

baxter@navajo.UUCP (Ray Baxter) (01/15/88)

In article <248@nancy.UUCP> straney@msudoc.UUCP (Ronald W. DeBry) writes:
>The last criterion (The trait must be heritable)
>is the easiest to forget in all the hupla over
>fitness values, and this is the one that human rape clearly
>fails.  Rape is a social, not a genetic problem; so the question
>of reproductive success is moot.
 (Parentheses added).

I would like to see one shred of data which shows that human rape is
not heritable.  It is fine for you to say that it is a social problem,
but you certainly do not know that is not a genetic problem.

web@ssyx.UUCP (01/16/88)

In article <2544@dasys1.UUCP> gf@dasys1.UUCP (G Fitch) writes:

>An additional point in reference to this discussion: in primates,
>especially humans, sex (voluntary) is supposed to be used to bring
>about the social cohesion required to support, among other things,
>the very long process of bringing up the young.  The offspring of
>rapists would presumably have a poorer chance of survival during
>childhood.  I wonder if this has ever been studied.

No one so far seems to have mentioned the fact that pregnancies
caused by rape are very likely to be aborted. I don't want to
start an abortion discussion here, since it's inappropriate, but
it seems very unlikely that most women would be willing to give
birth to the child of a rape - therefore, it's not a reproductive
advantage, except in marital rape.

According to the head of the rape prevention program here, there
have been societies where rape didn't occur at all, as well as
socities in which it's quite high (such as ours.) This suggests
that social forces are pretty important. Someone asked if there
was any evidence AGAINST it being a genetic trait - I'd say there's
probably much more evidence against it than for it.

		web@ssyx.ucsc.edu
   Wendy	ssyx!web@ucscc.BITNET		We're all in this together...
		...!ucbvax!ssyx!web

oleg@quad1.quad.com (Oleg Kiselev) (01/16/88)

David Palmer drips sarcasm:
>Of course there is no similarity.  The 'human' rapist is taking control
>of a woman's body for his own ends (feeling of power)
>... while the duck rapist ... is taking control
>of the female duck's body for his own ends (genetic propagation)

So where is the reproductive advantage of rape in humans?  I see the duck
rape being driven by a procreation imperative, while human rape is a social
power (domination) trip.  How does that translate into a reproductive
advantage?

>Are you saying that human power dynamics is not biologically useful? (In
>moderation at least).  "La droit de Seigneur" (sp? you know what I mean)
>if it existed (there are people who say it didn't, same as tooth fairies
>and the moon landing) is a part of human power dynamics which would have
>been biologically useful to the Seigneur (sp?)

That's highly unlikely.  Women are fertile only 3-4 days a month.  The chance
of conception even during the fertility period is well less than 100% (someone
had posted the odds of conception just recently -- care to repeat them?).
Hardly seems like a REPRODUCTIVE act, more like a SOCIAL one -- assertion of
power and control.

>What I am saying is that if you think that Humans are the only beings
>which do nasty things, you should think again.

Sure they are not, but what does that prove or justify?  What WAS the point of
this whole series of articles?
--
Oleg Kiselev  --  oleg@quad1.quad.com -- {...!psivax|seismo!gould}!quad1!oleg
HASA, "A" Division

DISCLAIMER:  I don't speak for my employers.

krista@ihlpa.ATT.COM (K.J.Anderson) (01/16/88)

There really is a line eater bug.
There really is a line eater bug.

    Ok, I really would not use the word "rape" to describe something
animals are capable of doing any more than I would say that they are
capable of "making love".  Humans are so much more influenced by
their learned responses, that instinct does not count for much in
human social or sexual behavior.
    Second, I'm sorry to be a poor sport, but I am kind of skeptical
of coercive duck mating behavior.  Where was this documented?
How hard did the female fight?  If it were a violent fight resulting
in broken feathers, it would hardly be an evolutionary advantage.
Also, if the female did not have a male to help raise the nestlings,
they probably would not survive.  Hence, I would suspect that
copulation without the mated bond is a deviant behavior.  It seems
likely to me that the male that did the act did not inherit his
instincts properly, or maybe he lost one or both parents and failed
to learn something essential to "proper" social behavior.

    Now, when it comes to humans, rape is also a deviant behavior.
I doubt that the tendency to rape is an inheritable trait, although
I have read that many rapists were sexually or physically abused as
children.  Aggression, however, probably is an inheritable trait,
probably related to certain hormone levels.  And aggressive
tendencies may play a role in the act of rape.
    Furthermore, aggression does have survival value, which is just
a cold fact of nature.  However, healthy humans are able to control
and direct their behaviors.  So, while the tendency to be aggressive
is a motivating factor and helps us to be ruthless, struggles for
dominance can be clever and well organized.  If a less intelligent
creature had the strength of aggressive emotions that humans have,
it would probably destroy others and itself indiscriminately.  Maybe
it is because of our self-directed will and intelligence that our
species can tolerate such a high level of aggression.

    Some humans do not have the ability to control their
actions; the aggression that they feel is deadly.  Someone who has
been sexually abused as a child, and is aggressive, and is unable to
control his/her behavior could in turn rape others.  This would be
the classic rape-as-a-violent-act-motivated-by-hatred-of-women.
    But I don't think that is the only kind of rape that can occur,
even though that is what current literature is saying.  I don't
think all rapes are motivated by hatred of women, nor do I think
that rape is always unrelated to sex.  I think some men are so
selfish that they will not take no for an answer - but they do
not take no for an answer in any aspect of their lives, not just
sex.  I also think some men are so damn stupid that they don't
understand that kicking and biting really means no!  And some men
are so aggressive, that their ability to control their behavior is
undermined when they are aroused by anger or desire.
    I'm not defending rape; all rapists deserve to be arrested and
convicted and all need counseling to learn better social skills.
Also, *most* men prefer mutually enjoyable sexual relations.

There is no way human rape behavior could be an evolutionary
advantage, even if it were hereditary.  Look at the consequences of rape:

1.  female can die of infection due to open wounds resulting from
forced entry
2.  if female becomes pregnant, she must care for the baby herself
3.  female may become so timid as to avoid males and reproduction
4.  female may become so hostile, she may try to kill males
5.  family of female may try to kill rapist
6.  family of female may try to kill female
7.  female may be considered too unclean for future mating with
someone else
8.  spread of diseases

See what I mean?  It is very destabilizing to society, as it would
be for other animals, too.
    One more thing.  Rape should not be confused with coercive sex
which goes on all the time.  There's a subtle difference which is
that the rape victim is fighting it every step of the way whereas
the coercive sex victim at some point accepts the treatment she is
getting.  Coercive sex was the accepted form of reproduction in
humans for a long time.  Even now, how many women have intercourse
with their husbands just because it's faster and easier to submit
and get it over with, than to try to explain to the guy that it would
be a lot more enjoyable if he could just wait a few more days?
    There is a fine line between rape and other kinds of coitus such as
seduction and coercion.  Unfortunately, the only way to define which
one it is, is by the behavior of the *victim*.

    One last note.  Whenever discussing survivability of traits, we
must remember that the trait does not have to be a perfect solution
or even the best solution.  It certainly does not have to be a
morally righteous solution.  It just has to work.

    Ok, sorry I can't shut up once I get started.  I just also
wanted to point out that when it comes to humans, we can talk about
the survival value or harm of social behaviors whether or not they
are inheritable.  The mechanics of behavioral characteristics and of
biological characteristics are similar; both are measurable by
statistical methods and both can be judged in terms of survivability.
We can and do control social behavior, but biological control is a
whole different discussion!

K.J.Anderson
--
ihnp4!ihlpa!krista

lazarus@athena.mit.edu (Michael Friedman) (01/17/88)

In article <6852@ihlpa.ATT.COM> krista@ihlpa.ATT.COM (K.J.Anderson) writes:

>There is no way human rape behavior could be an evolutionary
>advantage, even if it were hereditary.  Look at the consequences of rape:
>
>1.  female can die of infection due to open wounds resulting from
>forced entry
>2.  if female becomes pregnant, she must care for the baby herself
>3.  female may become so timid as to avoid males and reproduction
>4.  female may become so hostile, she may try to kill males
>5.  family of female may try to kill rapist
>6.  family of female may try to kill female
>7.  female may be considered too unclean for future mating with
>someone else
>8.  spread of diseases
>
>See what I mean?  It is very destabilizing to society, as it would
>be for other animals, too.

You are making a very common mistake. You are assuming that evolution
works to produce the fittest species. It doesn't, except that unfit
species become extinct. In actuality evolution works to produce the
fittest individuals. The effect of rape on society is irrelevant to a
discussion about the evolutionary status of rape.

The only points that you make that still apply are 5 and 8. All of the
others are bad for the species but do not affect the actual rapist.

5 is a good point. It is one of the best arguments around for some
form of sterilization as a punishment for rape. My personal preference
would be castration or the death penalty. In human society, however, 5
just doesn't happen enough. In most animals it doesn't happen at all.

8 is important, but unless the disease is fatal at least to the
reproductive abilities of the animal it won't have an affect. Why
should a rapist care if his victim gets VD as long as she still bears
his child?

(Note, when I say 'the rapist cares' I am using shorthand for 'this
has some bearing upon the question of whether or not the rapist's
genes will be propagated')

>    One last note.  Whenever discussing survivability of traits, we
>must remember that the trait does not have to be a perfect solution
>or even the best solution.  It certainly does not have to be a
>morally righteous solution.  It just has to work.

Flamers, please remember the above.

These are the official opinions			Mike Friedman
of my organization. So, TOUGH!!

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jolly C. Pancakes) (01/20/88)

In article <6852@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, krista@ihlpa.ATT.COM (K.J.Anderson) writes:
> Also, if the female did not have a male to help raise the nestlings,
> they probably would not survive.  Hence, I would suspect that
> copulation without the mated bond is a deviant behavior.

I'd just like to point out here what every farmer knows - ducks make *terrible*
mothers (this goes for domestic ducks and mallards - other wild types might
be better). Duck fathers have nothing to do with raising the offspring
(nothing positive, anyway) and duck mothers do barely better. They lose
ducklings all the time - a clutch of 14 new nestlings might be reduced to
8 in just a few weeks time, due to the mother duck's carelessness. This
can be contrasted with the behavior of geese, who are fiercely protective
parents, both males and females. (It's a barnyard trick to slip extra
duck eggs under a goose, who will make a big fuss over them and ensure
their survival, whereas if left to the mother duck, they might be lost)

In article ... joe@athena.mit.edu (Joseph C Wang) writes:
> Humans are the only animals that are always in heat, and during most

I've heard this before. It's a popular idea (probably born of a lingering
trace of anthropocentrism), but I'm not sure it's supportable.

For example, dolphins seem to be willing and able to engage in sexual
activity at any time. That's one side.

As a corollary, there is evidence that humans do go into something like
a heat. It's not as extreme as in most species, but it's there.

There just aren't that many qualitative differences between humans and other
species... most of the differences are in degree rather than kind.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

fullmer@dover.uucp (Glen Fullmer) (01/22/88)

Isn't talking about rape in a reproductive sense
 like talking about a knife fight in a surgical sense?

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (01/24/88)

> >If it was just mallards, well, we do act very differently from mallards.

Um, anyone who thinks the "gang rapes" in mallards are comparable with rape
in humans is simply not a good observer of mallards.  I've seen this behavior
on many occasions, and it is always quite obvious that if the female really
wanted to get away from the gang of males, all she would have to do is take
to the air.  She is very clearly not trying very hard; she is just having
a little fun with the boys (as well as sorting out the really virile ones
from the wimps who fall behind :-).

> Humans are the only animals that are always in heat, ...

Why do people keep saying things like this?  It just exposes your ignorance
of animal bahavior.  There are many other species known in which the females
are sexually receptive all or most of the time.  And let's not have any
quibbles about being "in heat"; by the most straighforward definitions,
human females never come into heat.  They are just sexually receptive
for their entire adult lives.

Some years back, I lived with a female cat who one day came back from the
vet without her ovaries.  She thereafter never came into heat, but she was
permanently sexually receptive (much like female humans).  She was quite
popular with the local toms.  It's interesting to contemplate.

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

oliver@retina.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (01/25/88)

In article <113@dover.uucp> fullmer@dover.UUCP (Glen Fullmer) writes:

>Isn't talking about rape in a reproductive sense
> like talking about a knife fight in a surgical sense?

Well, no. But each viewpoint is appropriate for its specific purpose.
The first is anthropologic.  The second is forensic.

Bill Oliver, MD
Medical Examiner
Orange County, North Carolina