[soc.men] Sexual selection

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/11/88)

In article <13400@sri-unix.SRI.COM> maslak@unix.sri.com (Valerie Maslak) writes:
>Sigh. I didn't say height was a sex-linked genetic characteristic.
>Although some men here seem to be arguning that it is !!!
>I MEANT that the much-above-average-height-and-build women were
>discriminated against in the selection process...not because they
>weren't "the fittest" as some have argued that they are, but because
>the male-imposed norms for female desirability have made them less
>preferred as mates.
>
>This is getting tedious.

Yes, this seems to be the only possibility.  Nor should we be surprised:
in classical evolutionary theory it is described as "sexual selection."
It is used to describe various and sundry typcially male charactersitics
as peacock tails and other silly and seemingly useless features.  While
I've read about this, it has never made any sense to me.

I'm cross-posted to sci.bio.  Could someone please explain the theory of
sexual selection to us, try to justify it (I've never believed it,
despite the evidence), and relate it to common sexual dimorphism like
height, etc.?

O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Professional Cybernetician
| Systems Science Department, SUNY Binghamton, New York, but my opinions
| vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/11/88)

In article <913@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>Yes, this seems to be the only possibility.  Nor should we be surprised:
>in classical evolutionary theory it is described as "sexual selection."
>It is used to describe various and sundry typcially male charactersitics
>as peacock tails and other silly and seemingly useless features.  While
>I've read about this, it has never made any sense to me.

>I'm cross-posted to sci.bio.  Could someone please explain the theory of
>sexual selection to us, try to justify it (I've never believed it,
>despite the evidence), and relate it to common sexual dimorphism like
>height, etc.?

Let me make it simple, and talk about buying apples for a moment.  When
you eat an apple you want one that is ripe, does not have worms in it,
is not spoiled or bruised, and so on.  So what do you do when you go
to buy apples -- you look for one that is red, looks juicy, and is
unblemished.  The vendors of apples want to sell you apples, so they
take due care to provide apples that meet these criteria.

Note that these criteria don't actually tell you that this apple is
going to be good eating.  Note also that the vendor of apples is not
trying to supply you with good eating, she is trying to sell you what
you will buy.  Even so, you will tend to select the really red apple
unless you think about it, and the vendors of apples apply artifice
to make there apples redder than nature intended.

Now you, as a clever human being, can figure out what the vendor is
up to, and can figure out what it is that you actually want.  But an
animal is not so clever, and relies on built in cues to make these
selections.  Success in breeding goes to those males who best meet
the built in cues.  Now these cues are often things like redness in
apples -- whence, the redder the better.  Males who most markedly
satisfy the selection criteria are most likely to get selected.  This
gets inherited, so the selection process drives steadily towards
emphasizing any feature that is used as a cue.

NOTE THAT IT IS THE FEMALE THAT SELECTS.  Females select, fundamentally,
because they make the big investment in offspring.  Since they do the
selecting, the selection process is not as demanding on them (except
that they must provide reliable fertility cues).

This is the general theory.  Human beings, at this point, are in a
special category; our sexual selection process does not match our
evolution -- we have mixed it all up by having intelligence and
civilization.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

In article <25443@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>Let me make it simple, and talk about buying apples for a moment.  When
>you eat an apple you want one that is ripe, does not have worms in it,
>is not spoiled or bruised, and so on.  So what do you do when you go
>to buy apples -- you look for one that is red, looks juicy, and is
>unblemished.  The vendors of apples want to sell you apples, so they
>take due care to provide apples that meet these criteria.

Ah, I'm begining to see some parallels to other problems.  Perhaps this
is essentially a problem of evidence.  The female has a theory that
certain characteristics (e.g.  big tails, height, bulk) are good
evidence for genetic fitness.  Let us presume that originally this is
justified.  Then the "battle of the sexes" kicks in, and the males try
to increase the evidence, and don't give two hoots about the continued
validity of the evidence for the fitness.  The poor females are stuck,
without intelligence, and then a natural positive feedback process
ensues, resulting, ultimately, in the demise of the males whose
exagerrated sexual characteristics finally become de-selective (e.g.
tails so big they can't even walk anymore) for that individual (although
still highly sexually selective).

>This is the general theory.  Human beings, at this point, are in a
>special category; our sexual selection process does not match our
>evolution -- we have mixed it all up by having intelligence and
>civilization.

But presumably the above scenario was in effect throughout homonid
evolution, and modern dimorphism is the "residual" effect of that.  And
even though humans, through our intelligence, are free to ignore sexual
selection pressurres, I think we'd all agree that they are still
*frequently* adhered to (e.g.  frat boys/girls :->).

kevin@chromo.ucsc.edu (Kevin McLoughlin) (03/17/88)

In article <914@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>But presumably the above scenario was in effect throughout homonid
>evolution, and modern dimorphism is the "residual" effect of that.

With the proviso that sexual selection works in two ways: 1) females
create a selection pressure for males to look like they can provide
good genes and (in hominids maybe also) help and companionship in the
hard work of raising a primate child to adulthood
2) males compete with each other for the sexual favor of the
females, which creates another selection pressure on males for
traits that are important in this male-male competition process
(dog-and-pony-show, really). A lot of (2) may be why males are
usually bigger than females in mammals: in some species (deer)
they fight, in other species they just try to scare and impress each
other with a mouthful of big teeth (chimps, baboons), colorful
or hairy accouterments to the body (lions, orangutans, human males),
aggressive show-offy behavior acting as IF they're the meanest
SOB around (most mammalian males), etc.

So dimorphism MAY be a result of direct female choice for big males
but PROBABLY is more likely a result of the games males play with
each other.

-----------
Susan Nordmark
Internet: kevin@chromo.UCSC.edu
UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucscc!chromo.kevin		Santa Cruz, CA

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (03/18/88)

> So dimorphism MAY be a result of direct female choice for big males
> but PROBABLY is more likely a result of the games males play with
> each other.
>
> -----------
> Susan Nordmark
> Internet: kevin@chromo.UCSC.edu
> UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucscc!chromo.kevin		Santa Cruz, CA

I would guess this is at least partly true, but my feeling is that the
marked dimorphism  in humans is  the result of  physical adaptation to
social roles.  In  most  primitive societies (pre-agricultural)  women
are gatherers and men are hunters (and to a lesser extent women "hide"
with the children and men go out to confront  the "enemy").  The women
care for the children and gather food (the most reliable  food source)
and  men hunt  (less  reliable but  greater  quantities when  they are
successful).  The body forms of present day humans still  reflect this
adaptation rather well,  men are relatively  strong and "brawny",  but
tend toward  lower endurance, the women  are less muscular but tend to
be more able to carry out low-level activity for far longer than men.

Actually this endurance  thing  is extremely  interesting in   its own
right.  There   are  really only  2 animals  on   earth which  hunt by
out-enduring  (running down) their prey   - humans  and canines.  This
form  of  hunting is called  "Cursorial"  (runners) and relys  on  the
exceptional endurance  of humans and  dogs compared  to  virtually any
other animal.  So - the difference between the endurance of men versus
women is only relative.

Please - no flames - I am  well aware of the  fact that this is simply
an overall tendency - there are plenty  of "big" women and "small" men
but they are exceptions.
--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/19/88)

>I would guess this is at least partly true, but my feeling is that the
>marked dimorphism  in humans is  the result of  physical adaptation to
>social roles.  In  most  primitive societies (pre-agricultural)  women
>are gatherers and men are hunters (and to a lesser extent women "hide"
>with the children and men go out to confront  the "enemy").  The women
>care for the children and gather food (the most reliable  food source)
>and  men hunt  (less  reliable but  greater  quantities when  they are
>successful).  The body forms of present day humans still  reflect this
>adaptation rather well,  men are relatively  strong and "brawny",  but
>tend toward  lower endurance, the women  are less muscular but tend to
>be more able to carry out low-level activity for far longer than men.

	Unlikely -- it is probably more the other way around -- social
roles adapt to physical differences.  Primate dimorphism is general in
the great apes and rather old -- it goes back a long ways.  One has to
consider the possibility that dismorphism is (at this point) simply built
in.   Organisms are not infinitely malleable; selection works with existing
mechanisms.  It may, in effect, be hard to select against dimorphism
once the mechansim is thoroughly in place.

	Another factor that should be considered is that selection in
humans and pre-humans operated differently than it does in baboons,
for example.  In baboons a male gets to breed if it is an alpha male.
Selection is strong for alpha male traits.  In humans a male gets to
breed if he can find a mate.  Most males get to breed; only the marginal
ones do not.  Selection is much weaker and is mostly negative selection
against non-survival traits and those traits that lead males either not
to breed or not to be an acceptable mate to any female.  A major class
of such traits is 'social acceptability' -- any individual that cannot
be accepted in the tribe has low prospects for being part of the breeding
pool.

	In a general way there may be something to what you say --
social roles can condition selection.  The problem with that idea is
simply that it is easier to alter social roles to fit physiology than
it is to alter physiology to fit social roles, in humans, at least.

rdh@sun.uucp (Robert Hartman) (03/19/88)

In article <2686@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:

>I would guess this is at least partly true, but my feeling is that the
>marked dimorphism  in humans is  the result of  physical adaptation to
>social roles.

I don't think that social roles are sufficient to account for the dimorphism,
in our secondary sexual characteristics.

I suspect that a more likely cause is that in the environmental settings in
which we began to diverge from the other great apes, there was a physical
advantage to these differences for child-rearing.  -bob.

heather@blia.BLI.COM (Heather Mackinnon) (03/19/88)

There have been many human societies with baboon-style alpha male
mating patterns.  The early Hebrews practiced polygamy.  The Egyptians
practiced polygamy as did the early Greeks (concubinage).  Polygamy has
been practiced until recent times by American Indians, in the mideast,
by Mormons in the U.S., throughout the Orient and by various African tribes.
In fact, I can't think of any non-European culture that has exclusively
practiced monogamy.  In hunter-gatherer and belligerent societies, the
death rate among adult males would be expected to be higher than among
adult females.  In a subsistence culture, you wouldn't want to waste any
breeding females; too few babies survive to adulthood.

This leads to an interesting question:  when did the move towards monogamy
happen and why?  Did it happen when agriculture replaced hunting and
gathering?  Did it happen with the growth of cities?  Did it happen when
the male and female populations became more even?  Does it have anything
to do with Christianity?  (In India, Hinduism permits polygamy, but
Mohammedism forbids it.)

In any case, our human history of polygamy would explain high levels of
sexual dimorphism in humans.

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/20/88)

In article <4368@blia.BLI.COM> heather@blia.BLI.COM (Heather Mackinnon) writes:
>There have been many human societies with baboon-style alpha male
>mating patterns.  The early Hebrews practiced polygamy.
> [etc. interesting comments on *polygamy* ]

Is it wise to identify alpha-male "harem" style breeding behavior with
human polygamy? My impression is that in *large* cultures that
*actively* practice polygamy (e.g.  Arabic, African Moslem, ruling out
Mormons as a "deviant" group (I can see those Mormon flamers getting
going)) that it is not required, and that most all men have at least one
wife, while the wealthy few can afford more than one.  Two or three is a
bit more common, but in, say, elks, the harem sizes can be more than a
dozen.

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/20/88)

In article <4368@blia.BLI.COM> heather@blia.BLI.COM (Heather Mackinnon) writes:
>There have been many human societies with baboon-style alpha male
>mating patterns.  [Examples of polygamy deleted.]

	Not the same thing.  Human polygamy is tied to support.  The
male with several wives must be able to support them all.  In these
societies I believe you will find that polygamy was pretty much restricted
to a relatively wealthy minority, with most people being monogamous.
In baboons, et. al. the alpha male does not support the females and
the young.  Only the alpha males breed.  The situations are quite
different from a selection viewpoint.

>This leads to an interesting question:  when did the move towards monogamy
>happen and why?  Did it happen when agriculture replaced hunting and
>gathering?  Did it happen with the growth of cities?  Did it happen when
>the male and female populations became more even?  Does it have anything
>to do with Christianity?  (In India, Hinduism permits polygamy, but
>Mohammedism forbids it.)

I'm a little skeptical about this idea that the male and female populations
were ever out of balance as a regular thing -- on one hand the males lead
riskier lives, on the other hand females died with great regularity in
childbirth.

I would phrase the question differently, as "when did polygamy become
unacceptable?".  I rather suspect that wide spread polygamy came into
being with agriculture, just because it became economically feasible
(i.e. wealth suplus and larger, more differentiated society.)  It is
an interesting question, though.