[soc.men] sexual selection and investment

jackson@utzoo.uucp (Don Jackson) (03/14/88)

Richard Harter (25442@cca.CCA.COM) writes:

>NOTE THAT IT IS THE FEMALE THAT SELECTS.  Females select, fundamentally,
>because they make the big investment in offspring.

This is true as a generalization. However, there are countless numbers of
species where the investment by the male is equal to or exceeds the female.
Numerous species of fish reproduce in nests formed by the male and guarded
by males after spawning. The greater costs (e.g. energy) incurred by the male
(in terms of reduced growth and increased mortality) appear to counter
your argument that females have the greater investment.

There may be natural selection against distinctive females through
increased risk of predation. An example of this is the Guppy (Poecilia
reticulata) where coloration increases predation. Therefore, dull
females have greater fitness than colorful females. However, sexual
selection may favour brightly colored males provided the benefits derived
from their coloration are greater than the increased costs associated with
predation.

Trying to distinguish between different types of selection (e.g. natural
versus sexual) is a matter of semantics. The process implies that,
on average, some trait (e.g. color, larger tail, etc.) results in a greater
fitness (i.e. more progeny) than a similar organism lacking that trait.
--
Name:   Don Jackson
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/14/88)

In article <1988Mar13.160941.22096@utzoo.uucp> jackson@utzoo.uucp (Don Jackson) writes:

>Richard Harter (25442@cca.CCA.COM) writes:
>
>>NOTE THAT IT IS THE FEMALE THAT SELECTS.  Females select, fundamentally,
>>because they make the big investment in offspring.
>
>This is true as a generalization. However, there are countless numbers of
>species where the investment by the male is equal to or exceeds the female.
>Numerous species of fish reproduce in nests formed by the male and guarded
>by males after spawning. The greater costs (e.g. energy) incurred by the male
>(in terms of reduced growth and increased mortality) appear to counter
>your argument that females have the greater investment.

There are two investments that one has to take into account; one is the
investment in creating the offspring, and the other is the investment in
caring for them.  The thing that distinguishes females from males is the
females make the larger investment in creating offspring.  The two genders
have an intrinsic conflict of interest -- it is to the benefit of each that
the other care for the young, and it is to the benefit of both that the young
prosper.

A general rule is that the last gender to make contact with the young is more
likely to get stuck with caring for them.  In most higher animals this is
the female, since the egg is developed after fertilization.  In a number of
fish and amphibians, the females lays unfertilized egg masses and the male
fertilizes them after they are laid.  The male, being the last in contact,
gets to make the big investment in caring for them.

In the more usual case where fertilization occurs a priori rather than
a posteriori, the female has a number of strategies available, the principle
one being to refuse to mate unless the male makes a suitable investment
in caring for the offspring.  How well this works depends very much on
the species.  In some species the female abandons the effort to get the
male to contribute to the rearing of the offspring; instead they settle for
selecting the 'best' possible father.  These species tend to have strong
dimorphism and a few males that do most of the breeding.  In species with
strong pair bonding the leverage of the female is much greater -- instead
of picking the 'best' father along with many other females making the same
pick, she picks a single 'more useful' one.  Species with pair bonding tend
to less dimorphism and more equality in rearing the young.  There are no
hard and fast rules, though, it is very much a case by case thing.

Human beings, are, as one might expect, very much a special case.  Dimorphism
in human beings is quite marked.  From this one would expect that humans
would have sexual patterns similar to other dimorphic primates, with an
alpha male having primary access to a number of females, and other males
having very little access.  In actual fact, humans are a strong pair
bonding species (albeit with surprising variations) and human males make
a large investment in rearing the young.

>There may be natural selection against distinctive females through
>increased risk of predation. An example of this is the Guppy (Poecilia
>reticulata) where coloration increases predation. Therefore, dull
>females have greater fitness than colorful females. However, sexual
>selection may favour brightly colored males provided the benefits derived
>from their coloration are greater than the increased costs associated with
>predation.

This is rather general; in most species the female is less conspicuous
than the male.  Inconspicuous is rather generally selected for.

>Trying to distinguish between different types of selection (e.g. natural
>versus sexual) is a matter of semantics. The process implies that,
>on average, some trait (e.g. color, larger tail, etc.) results in a greater
>fitness (i.e. more progeny) than a similar organism lacking that trait.

I disagree that it is simply a matter of semantics.  The final criterion
of fitness is, as you say, a matter of more progeny.  However this is
a matter of contingent probabilites.  The individual must survive to
breeding age.  Given that the individual has survived to breeding age,
the individual must breed successfully.  Given that the individual has
bred successfully, its offspring must do the same.  Selection pressures
apply equally to the genders when it comes to simple survival; however they
apply differently when it comes to successful breeding.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

kevin@chromo.ucsc.edu (Kevin McLoughlin) (03/17/88)

In article <25527@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>Human beings, are, as one might expect, very much a special case.  Dimorphism
>in human beings is quite marked.  From this one would expect that humans
>would have sexual patterns similar to other dimorphic primates, with an
>alpha male having primary access to a number of females, and other males
>having very little access.  In actual fact, humans are a strong pair
>bonding species (albeit with surprising variations) and human males make
>a large investment in rearing the young.

Actually, humans are only moderately dimorphic. Examples of species
with a strong degree of dimorphism are gorillas and baboons--in
these species males may be up to twice as massive as females.
This doesn't happen among humans (of course what's scientifically
relevant here is the degree of dimorphism within the sort of genetically
homogenous, small interbreeding populations that were the venue
for evolution. Thus we don't compare size differences between Swedish men
and Vietnamese women, for example, but between Vietnamese men and
Vietnamese women. Under these constraints dimorphism is found to
be moderate.)
-----------
Susan Nordmark
Internet: kevin@chromo.UCSC.edu
UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucscc!chromo.kevin		Santa Cruz, CA

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/18/88)

In article <2403@saturn.ucsc.edu> kevin@chromo.UUCP (Susan Nordmark) writes:

	... Re my comment that humans are markedly dimorphic

>Actually, humans are only moderately dimorphic. Examples of species
>with a strong degree of dimorphism are gorillas and baboons--in
>these species males may be up to twice as massive as females.
>This doesn't happen among humans (of course what's scientifically
>relevant here is the degree of dimorphism within the sort of genetically
>homogenous, small interbreeding populations that were the venue
>for evolution.

Terms like markedly and moderately depend very much on which apples
and oranges you are comparing.  If your context is the great apes,
humans are moderate.  If you context is mammals in general, humans
are well up there.  If your context is pair-bonding mammals with
paternal sharing in the support of the young, humans are highly
dimorphic.  And if your context is anglerfish, the dimorphism is
marginal [Natural science joke -- if you don't know, don't ask.]

michaelm@vax.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (03/24/88)

In article <25669@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>In article <2403@saturn.ucsc.edu> kevin@chromo.UUCP (Susan Nordmark) writes:
>
>	... Re my comment that humans are markedly dimorphic
>
>>Actually, humans are only moderately dimorphic. Examples of species
>>with a strong degree of dimorphism are gorillas and baboons--in
>>these species males may be up to twice as massive as females.
>>This doesn't happen among humans (of course what's scientifically
>>relevant here is the degree of dimorphism within the sort of genetically
>>homogenous, small interbreeding populations that were the venue
>>for evolution.
>
>Terms like markedly and moderately depend very much on which apples
>and oranges you are comparing.  If your context is the great apes,
>humans are moderate.  If you context is mammals in general, humans
>are well up there.  If your context is pair-bonding mammals with
>paternal sharing in the support of the young, humans are highly
>dimorphic.  And if your context is anglerfish, the dimorphism is
>marginal [Natural science joke -- if you don't know, don't ask.]

To quote Jacob Bronowski in this regard:

	[...] in general there is much less difference between men
	and women (in the biological sense and in sexual behavior)
	than there is in other species.  That may seem a strange
	thing to say.  But to the gorilla and chimpanzee, where
	there are enormous differences between male and female,
	it would be obvious.  In the language of biology,
	dimorphism is small in the human species.
		Jacob Bronowski, *The Ascent of Man*, 1973

I might also add that since our closest living relatives are the
gorillas and chimpanzees, which are much more markedly dimorphic,
humans most probably lost much dimorphism during our evolution.

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation
Santa Clara, California
	{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|glacier|olhqma}
	!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	William James used to preach the "will to believe."  For
	my part, I should wish to preach the "will to doubt." ...
	What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will
	to find out, which is the exact opposite.
		Bertrand Russell, *Sceptical Essays*, 1928

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/24/88)

In article <1125@3comvax.3Com.Com> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:

>To quote Jacob Bronowski in this regard:

	[...] in general there is much less difference between men
	and women (in the biological sense and in sexual behavior)
	than there is in other species.  That may seem a strange
	thing to say.  But to the gorilla and chimpanzee, where
	there are enormous differences between male and female,
	it would be obvious.  In the language of biology,
	dimorphism is small in the human species.
		Jacob Bronowski, *The Ascent of Man*, 1973

>I might also add that since our closest living relatives are the
>gorillas and chimpanzees, which are much more markedly dimorphic,
>humans most probably lost much dimorphism during our evolution.

If you take all species of animals for your standard of comparison,
then the norm is for the female to be substantially larger than the
male.  If you take all species of vertebrates for you standard of
comparison, then I suspect that you will find that males are larger
than females, on average, but not to the extent characteristic of
humans.  If you take large mammals (and humans are large mammals)
as your standard of comparison, then I think you will find that
find that humans are less dimorphic.

Re the loss of dimorphism during our evolution.  It is my impression
it was about the same as that of modern day humans for Afarensis,
H. habilis, H. erectus, and H. Neanderthalis, and the Boseii was more
dimorphic than humans.  If any one out there knows for sure, I would
be interested in hearing about it.

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (03/25/88)

In article <1125@3comvax.3Com.Com> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:

>I might also add that since our closest living relatives are the
>gorillas and chimpanzees, which are much more markedly dimorphic,
>humans most probably lost much dimorphism during our evolution.

Well, since both pongos and chimpanzees are more highly differentiated
than humans (and read that as "more evolved" if you wish), it is not
impossible that the opposite is the case - that they have gained
some dimorphism rather than that we have lost some.

michaelm@vax.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (03/26/88)

In article <4736@aw.sei.cmu.edu> firth@bd.sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (Robert Firth)
writes:
>In article <1125@3comvax.3Com.Com> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil)
>writes:
>
>>I might also add that since our closest living relatives are the
>>gorillas and chimpanzees, which are much more markedly dimorphic,
>>humans most probably lost much dimorphism during our evolution.
>
>Well, since both pongos and chimpanzees are more highly differentiated
>than humans (and read that as "more evolved" if you wish), it is not
>impossible that the opposite is the case - that they have gained
>some dimorphism rather than that we have lost some.

I agree it's *not impossible* that chimpanzees and gorillas gained
dimorphism rather than humans having lost it, but it's less probable.
The reason is due to the fact that humans, chimpanzees, and gorillas
apparently are roughly equally divergent from a common ancestor.  In
such a three-way branching situation, if two species share a trait --
such as the knuckle-walking behavior of chimpanzees and gorillas -- it
is quite likely that our common ancestor possessed that trait as well.
The alternative -- that convergent evolution independently invented a
trait within different species -- is of course possible, but generally
considered somewhat less likely, depending on the trait's complexity.

Follow-ups to sci.bio and talk.origins.

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation
Santa Clara, California
	{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|glacier|olhqma}
	!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	...  It is often said that all the conditions for the first
	production of a living organism are now present, which could
	ever have been present.  But if (and oh! what a big if!) we
	could conceive in some warm little pond, with all sorts of
	ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat, electricity, etc.,
	present, that a proteine compound was chemically formed ready
	to undergo still more complex changes, at the present day such
	matter would be instantly devoured or absorbed, which would
	not have been the case before living creatures were formed.
		Charles Darwin, 1871