[soc.men] Handedness

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (12/05/90)

-----
In article <6091@crash.cts.com> rcf@pnet01.cts.com (Bob Forsythe) writes:
> Personally I'd find suggestions that my left-handedness was
> learned to be on par with suggestions that gays are made, not
> born. ...

I did NOT assert that we are born without a handedness preference.
What I said is that we are capable of learning motor skills with
either hand, albeit this involves more difficulty with our off-hand.

Russell

rcf@pnet01.cts.com (Bob Forsythe) (12/06/90)

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>-----
>In article <6091@crash.cts.com> rcf@pnet01.cts.com (Bob Forsythe) writes:
>> Personally I'd find suggestions that my left-handedness was
>> learned to be on par with suggestions that gays are made, not
>> born. ...
>
>I did NOT assert that we are born without a handedness preference.
>What I said is that we are capable of learning motor skills with
>either hand, albeit this involves more difficulty with our off-hand.
>
>Russell

     Well, in that case, I take back the harsh tone (my handedness is
something I've become a bit more radical about over the last few years).  I
suspect that I was thrown off by the statement that some people claim inherent
handedness shows through cultural and parental training, but that's more
subtle (something to that affect anyway).  I tend to overreact to the idea
that handedness is learned, since that's the attitude that got my grandmother
and mother's hands beaten and got me berated in 6th grade for slanting my
letters the "wrong" way.  I do apologise.

Bob c/o The OTH Gang
rcf@pnet01.cts.com